Football > Richmond Rant

Leadership

(1/6) > >>

WilliamPowell:
During the game against the Saints there was a small incident that highlighted to me at least how much leadership we lack.

In the 2nd quarter Hamill had a go at Jackson - nothing serious just a bit of pushing and bumping - bascially roughing the kid up. Sad that someone like Hamill had to rough up a school kid ::) but hey it is AFL footy. :-\

Not one of our "senior" players came in to help - I think Hartigan may have and eventually Kane Johnson did but no one else. Richo is excused because he was down the other end of the game but for the others it was poor.

Isn't part of leadership about going in helping and for want of a better term "protecting" your younger teammates?

JohnF:
How many so called leaders were actually playing?

The real question though is how many leaders do we actually have?

As Ox said, they have a hard enough time taking care of themselves let alone looking out for someody else.

Sad but true.

Jackstar:
We dont have any enforcers whats so ever.
Saints have Hamill, Kangas have Archer and King, Port have Pickett,Brisbane have the Scott bros and others,Bombers have the johnson boys and Soloman, even the hawks have Brown and Vandenberg.
We have no one ! And dont anyone say Fleming either ;)

Fwoy3:

--- Quote from: WilliamPowell on July 18, 2004, 10:07:36 PM ---During the game against the Saints there was a small incident that highlighted to me at least how much leadership we lack.

In the 2nd quarter Hamill had a go at Jackson - nothing serious just a bit of pushing and bumping - bascially roughing the kid up. Sad that someone like Hamill had to rough up a school kid ::) but hey it is AFL footy. :-\

Not one of our "senior" players came in to help - I think Hartigan may have and eventually Kane Johnson did but no one else. Richo is excused because he was down the other end of the game but for the others it was poor.

Isn't part of leadership about going in helping and for want of a better term "protecting" your younger teammates?

--- End quote ---

I saw that too WP...sad really.

By the way, it was Chris Hyde :o who went in to stick up for him before Johnno got there.

om21:
Note: Our two players who are meant to be our two strongest candidates for Captain next year have been shocking the past 2 weeks. Ok Johno was handed the baton on Sat and I was a big rap for it and for him.....he failed miserably. He lacked winning the ball and while he was 'ok' around the clinches, he did nothing that says we should strip Campbell of it. He did nothing more and possibly less than what Campbell would do......Browny....well another bad game...

I beleive a captain has to be a match-winner....which is why Im all for taking it of Campbell. Everyone says Richo is not worthy, but I have done a 180 on this, I think he should be thrown the job. He consistently beats his man one-on-one, he is the ONLY man who can turn a game by a single moment, and hes a Tiger.

Yes his attitude has been poor in the past and the like but I think its time we try something radical. Campbell is good but not a captain, Johno...Im willing to give him the rest of the season but he needs to be damaging, he needs to be seen driving with the ball....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version