Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 395679 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2235 on: November 15, 2019, 01:24:59 AM »
The role Crowe played in Cotchin, Richmond turnaround

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
14 November 2019

Ben Crowe has explained the role he played in mentoring and guiding Richmond captain Trent Cotchin.

It was only a few years ago when there were calls for Cotchin to be replaced as Tigers skipper, around the same time there was a desire to overthrow Damien Hardwick as coach.

During this tumultuous time at Punt Road, NIKE’s former sports marketing director Crowe took the opportunity to work alongside Richmond president Peggy O’Neal.

As a leadership mentor, life coach and adviser, Crowe implemented the power of purpose, provided education on how to embrace vulnerability and focused on high performance principles, among other specific mindsets.

Cotchin has become one of the most selfless players in the Richmond side and his leadership has risen to elite levels over the past few years, coinciding with the club’s recent success, and Crowe has explained how the turnaround was inspired.

“I was working with Peggy O’Neal at the time and agreed to mentor Damien and Trent,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“All the credit goes to those guys and Peggy for the transformation of Richmond, especially around purpose mindset.

“Authenticity, vulnerability, connection and storytelling and these principles are something that they’ve really embraced and celebrated.”

Regarding what was taught and learnt, Crowe continued: “We are so hard on ourselves as a human race.

“We’ve got this unconscious, negative bias. We get caught up with perfection myth or feeling like we’re not good enough or don’t deserve to be captain or loved enough, successful enough.

“You can give yourself permission to be imperfect but also unconditionally worthy. If you can hold those two thoughts together, you can take off that mask, take off that armour and give yourself permission to be worthy of love, connection, belonging, taking your team on a journey.

“The Trent story was beautiful, from unofficially voted the worst captain in the AFL to officially, by his peers, voted the best captain in the AFL.

“All credit to Trent. He’s literally found his authenticity and from that point of view he can show up in the world.”

Cotchin’s turnabout of mindset and change in game style were the catalyst for Richmond turning the corner in 2017 when they broke a 37-year premiership drought.

He is now a two-time premiership captain one of the most respected leaders in the AFL.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/11/13/the-role-crowe-played-in-cotchin-richmond-turnaround/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2236 on: December 13, 2019, 09:08:46 PM »
Who should pick a team’s on-field leader?

Michelangelo Rucci,
Rucci on Saturday,
The Advertiser
14 December 2019

AFL football certainly has moved away from steadfastly handing the captaincy to the team’s best player.

The lessons of American college basketball coach Don Meyer as a philosopher hold court today. Meyer, until his death in 2014, had built the best record (a 3-1 count) in his sport in more than 1000 games.
Richmond’s Trent Cotchin and coach Damien Hardwick with the 2019 AFL trophy. Picture: Michael Klein

Some of Meyer’s themes seem to have found their way to Australian sport already, particularly at the successful Richmond Football Club. The leadership actions of premiership captain Trent Cotchin in cleaning up the Tigers change rooms during the 2017 AFL finals series fit the third team rule in Meyer’s book: “Pick up the trash”.

Meyer noted of leadership: “You can pick captains, but you can’t pick leaders.

“Whoever controls the locker room controls the team.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/michelangelo-rucci/power-bows-to-members-pressure-for-single-captain-but-is-it-the-right-call-for-the-team/news-story/3195a84d627337e32c5715e256c78ab7

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2237 on: March 09, 2020, 04:54:06 AM »

COTCHIN LOOKS FIT

Marsh Series - Giants v Tigers - The Mongrel Punt
HB Meyers
March 8, 2020

I know Tiger fans will argue to the contrary, but in terms of Trent Cotchin’s overall output, 2019 saw a decline. He would still do little things in moments to let you know he was still around, and those little things may have added up to some pretty big things (they don’t come much bigger than holding a premiership cup aloft) but in terms of consistent impact, Cotch was a little down last year.

Whilst he had just 18 disposals in this game (he averaged 19.8 last season – the first time under 20 since 2010) but it was the nature of his possession that impressed me. Over a quarter of his touches came under pressure in the centre, with five of his seven clearances coming at the centre bounce. He also added two direct goal assists to his name as he worked to the betterment of his teammates.

I like Trent Cotchin. I don’t know the bloke and I probably never will, but he strikes me as a genuine bloke. The vision of him cleaning the club rooms a couple of years back stuck with me (and my missus loved it). This is a captain who would bleed for this team and for those he leads; how could you not follow him?

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2020/2020/03/08/marsh-series-giants-v-tigers/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2238 on: April 02, 2020, 04:54:54 AM »
Where does Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin sit among AFL greats?

The Hard Ball Gets AFL Show
PerthNow
April 2, 2020

They are some of the better-known players in the game, but where is their place in history once they call time on their careers?

Nick Rynne, Xavier Ellis and Ryan Daniels make their pick, good or great. First cab off the rank is Richmond captain Trent Cotchin... and it's a doozy.

Listen here: https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/the-hard-ball-gets-afl-show-where-does-richmond-skipper-trent-cotchin-sit-among-afl-greats-ng-b881507345z

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2239 on: April 03, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »
What a load of poo that was!

I reckon those 3 have forgotten how good Cotch was in his prime.

Some of the comparisons were laughable.

Pretty obvious too that they don’t watch much footy.

It actually made me angry listening to it.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2240 on: April 03, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »
I don't bother listening to anyone's opinion on Cotchin. Anyone with a football brain knows how brilliant the man was, and how good of a leader he still is. The bloke has turned games around for us in games where his total amount of disposals is less than 20.
I'll take 20 Chimp disposals over these clowns who rack up 30 of the most worthless possessions imaginable. Fearless leader.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2241 on: April 03, 2020, 02:25:34 PM »
Our best & most important player just behind Dusty in finals:

Along with Vlastuin & Maric the only players who stood up in the 2nd half v Carlton 2013
Set the tone v Geelong 17
Ditto v GWS 17
Set the tone at the start of the second half in the GF 17
Turned the QF  v Brisbane along with Edwards
Set the tone at the start of the second half v Geelong

That's greatness right there...  :shh :shh

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:29:19 PM by one-eyed »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2242 on: April 07, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »
Our dual premiership captain's 30th birthday today  :birthday  :clapping.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2243 on: May 15, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
Not footy but it's about Cotch.

QMS Media's teddy bear army

AdNews
15 May 2020

A digital teddy bear army has taken to Australia's billboards with messages of thanks for essential workers.

The Teddy Bear Army Project, set in motion by QMS Media, invites children to draw a picture of a teddy bear with a message of thanks to their choice of essential service worker, and have their artwork displayed on digital billboards.

The campiagn, now in its sixth week, has given more than 150 Australian children a chance to use their artistic skills at home and express gratitude to those doing so much to help during this crisis.

Each week, new submissions are broadcast across 30 premium digital billboards, hitting more than 15 million contacts or on average 2.6 million contacts each week as Australians travel closer to home.

Trent Cotchin, captain of AFL’s Richmond Tigers: “My wife and I fell in love with the idea the moment we saw some of the artworks up on a billboard near us. It gave our girls an opportunity to be creative whilst in isolation but more importantly, it was an opportunity for them to say thank you to who they see as important in our fight against COVID-19. As a parent this was a special moment. You love seeing your kids doing what they love."

http://www.adnews.com.au/news/qms-media-s-teddy-bear-army

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2244 on: May 28, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
Cotch was interview on MMM's Hot Breakfast this morning with Eddie and Luke Darcy:

AUDIO: https://omny.fm/shows/hot-breakfast/richmond-skipper-trent-cotchin-joins-the-hot-break

* Everyone came back in good shape.

* No need for forced zoom meetings as we all kept in contact during the lockdown.

* Being with the family involves moments. When that family involves different moments with 5 people every day in lockdown it can add up to quite a few moments  :laugh:. Cotch is glad to get back to a normal routine.

* Teaming up with Wolf Blass and Bucks is about promoting what wine goes with each meal.

* Some of the pre-2017 criticism of him was right. He has learnt he couldn't be a perfect human being. He had to learn to be himself.

* Being in lockdown has made him appreciate even more the culture and connections at the club. It's a great place to turn up to each day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2245 on: May 28, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
Cotch on Ch 9 news tonight:

Watch here: https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1265928845473058818

Isolation has treated Dustin Martin very kindly according to his captain. Trent Cotchin says Dusty has "a glow" about him he's not seen before, and it could translate into big things for the Tigers. @cstanaway #9News

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2246 on: May 29, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
'I'm rapt': Find out why this Tiger wants the AFL to keep short quarters

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
29 May 2020

RICHMOND skipper Trent Cotchin has backed shorter quarters remaining, saying the slicing of game time has minimal impact on matches.

Quarters have been cut by four minutes - from 20 to 16 minutes plus time-on - this year to assist the AFL get through its 2020 campaign during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The AFL won't make a call on whether the overall cut of about 20 minutes from games is kept beyond this year, but Cotchin, who has skippered the Tigers to their 2017 and 2019 premierships, said the move could assist the longevity of a player's career.

MORE PLAYERS? AFL considers extra bodies on the bench

"I think it's good, it didn't seem to impact the game substantially in round one," the 30-year-old told SEN radio.

"I'm rapt with it. I am getting a little bit older, so the shorter the game, the better for me. I don't think it will change the game too much."

Cotchin said it was difficult to know how players will cope with the quick return to games after a three-month gap since round one was played in March.

"Given it's not the norm, there's obviously an area of grayness," he said.

"We don't know exactly how it's going to look or feel, but with regards to our program in the 'iso' phase, our program was heavily focused on injury prevention and ensuring we're doing enough work that when we do return to play, hopefully we've loaded all the areas you typically get in a game."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/440295/-i-m-rapt-find-out-why-this-tiger-wants-the-afl-to-keep-short-quarters

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2247 on: May 30, 2020, 12:59:59 PM »
We tend to leak goals in the final minutes of quarters, hopefully with the shorter quarters we can maintain our concentration and intensity to ensure it doesn't happen.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2248 on: May 30, 2020, 07:09:28 PM »
We tend to leak goals in the final minutes of quarters, hopefully with the shorter quarters we can maintain our concentration and intensity to ensure it doesn't happen.

We just leaked them earlier vs Blues
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2249 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »
A story of triumph, adversity and a willingness to push through, as told by captain @tcotchin9.

📽️ Watch the full unique, animated film via @nibhealthfunds - Through it all

Trent Cotchin On Earning His Tiger Stripes

nib
4 June 2020

Growing up just north of the CBD, Trent Cotchin is a born and bred Melburnian. Since joining the Richmond Tigers in 2007, he’s been appointed the team’s youngest full-time captain (at just under 23 years old) and led the team to win two premierships.

Trent has overcome injuries and defied critics to become one of the game’s most respected players. Now the father of three is about to embark on what will likely be his most challenging season yet.

Before the 2020 kick-off, we had a chance to find out what goes into making a Tigers player and what we can expect from Trent and the rest of the team this season.

The Check Up (TCU): You grew up in the surrounding suburbs of Melbourne and your entire professional career has been played with the one club. What does it mean to play for a club you grew up watching?

Trent: It has been a fantastic experience; I did not realise how big an AFL club was until I came into Richmond. But the best experience has been improving year on year and ultimately winning a couple of premierships and just seeing how much it means to everybody. The impact we can have on peoples’ lives is huge and I’m very grateful to be able to bring this joy to so many people.

TCU: What are some of the characteristics that make up a Tigers player?

Trent: We like our players to be humble, but also hungry to grow and get better with each day. It’s also important for us to show care and love for each other and I think this is one of our key strengths as a playing group.

TCU: You’ve had your fair share of injuries. How do you bounce back physically? Do you have a support team of health professionals? If so, can you please chat us through some of them and how they help get you back in condition?

Trent: From a physical perspective, I have a competitive streak in me, so that’s the main driver to get myself back in peak physical condition. Our physical and medical staff at the club are first class and really help us to avoid and overcome injuries.

From a mental side, it’s important to control what you can. Last year, I had some ongoing hamstring injuries, and it was important for me to maintain perspective and gratitude. I tried not to worry about the things outside of my control, and focus on building good habits to get myself fit again.

TCU:
You’re a dad to three children under the age of six. What skills, lessons or traits are important for you to instil in your kids?

Trent: Being a parent is certainly challenging and there’s no rule book to follow. My wife and I try to instil gratitude to our children each night, talking about what went well in their day and what they are looking forward to tomorrow. We really try to have our kids focus on what they do have, rather than what we don’t hav

https://www.nib.com.au/the-checkup/community/richmond-tigers-through-it-all?utm_source=Richmond_Tigers&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Through_It_All