Author Topic: Former Port & Richmond forward Jay Schulz lifts lid on brain damage battle (ZH)  (Read 2845 times)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
We can’t discount the possibility he may have been dropped a few times as a baby.

Some short memories here at Richmond. We hung onto a very very simple bloke because that one time he kicked 6 goals vs triple premiership Brisbane.  :rollin

Some players or would be players like myself, enjoy the no fuss Hafey style footy. He was never the smartest tool in the toolbox that seemed to have no issues when Spud was coach but couldn’t hold down a permanent position when Wallet came over with his analytics and protractors and seismic testing. The chip chip keeping’s off brand was making poor Schulz feel inadequate which led him to the booze on occasion.  :shh
It’s no coincidence he excelled under another simple coach when he first went to Port and had a few good years under Hinkley.
 :rollin

Glad you think it's funny and that the bloke deserves to be mocked

What are you saying WP? Facetiousness is banned on OER now?

I guess you don’t find anything in life funny?

Don’t watch reruns of Benny Hill or Kenny Everitt then or even last months Ricky Gervais special where he mocks pretty much everyone including Christians like me.

But I still thought it was hilarious.  :rollin

honestly though, why would you write such drivel? For someone who gets offended at the "Lords" name being used in vain so much that OE had to filter it, you sure do talk some trash about other people
Yes as a Christian I am offended at people using my Gods name as a swear word. Imagine the uproar if Muhammad was used and if you want to know what would happen start using it as a swear word even just on this forum and see what happens. I dare you  :lol

But that’s not even the only reason I took a stand. It was the inconsistency of the PC on this forum that made me put my foot down and ask the mods to intervene, prior to that I just spoke to people privately and most were kind enough to refrain after all we are all kinsman in the Richmond family.

BTW I’m not just a Christian, I’m an Aussie too. The comment above was supposed to be said in jest. What are you saying, Christian’s aren’t allowed to joke around?  Or have an opinion? Or express concern? Or laugh when something is funny? Or take the pee out of someone like we used to do as Aussies once upon a time before the PC police started to lose their sense of humour?

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Resubmitting my argument that it's time to make the soft cap helmet mandatory in the same way the mouth guard once was.

Changes nothing about the game but protects the head a hell of a lot. Yes I know Brad Ebert was wearing one in the prelim and still got concussed. Yes I know the NFL argument that it makes players feel like the head is protected and they can therefore behave even more recklessly. For the first, good thing he had the soft cap on (could have been much worse), for the second, they need to keep coming down hard on players using the head to win free kicks.

I dunno, I don't think it's an overreaction. I think it's time. There will always be tragedies in contact sport (which AFL must remain) but this stuff is destroying families and lives and it's time to do something about it.

Living with CTE and knowing it will only get worse must be a living hell. Tucky made his decision. Before that he had distanced himself from his wife and kids because he couldn't trust himself anymore and didn't want to damage them too. He was living back at home with Mum and Dad because he couldn't live anywhere else. Frawley made his decision. Schulz? Well, that's the future in front of him.

Soft cap helmet the new mouth guard for mine.

Good post and really interesting topic
Something will be done when the AFL is staring down the barrel of a billion dollar class action suit

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Resubmitting my argument that it's time to make the soft cap helmet mandatory in the same way the mouth guard once was.

Changes nothing about the game but protects the head a hell of a lot. Yes I know Brad Ebert was wearing one in the prelim and still got concussed. Yes I know the NFL argument that it makes players feel like the head is protected and they can therefore behave even more recklessly. For the first, good thing he had the soft cap on (could have been much worse), for the second, they need to keep coming down hard on players using the head to win free kicks.

I dunno, I don't think it's an overreaction. I think it's time. There will always be tragedies in contact sport (which AFL must remain) but this stuff is destroying families and lives and it's time to do something about it.

Living with CTE and knowing it will only get worse must be a living hell. Tucky made his decision. Before that he had distanced himself from his wife and kids because he couldn't trust himself anymore and didn't want to damage them too. He was living back at home with Mum and Dad because he couldn't live anywhere else. Frawley made his decision. Schulz? Well, that's the future in front of him.

Something will be done when the AFL is staring down the barrel of a billion dollar class action suit

Been thinking about soft helmets myself and not opposed to it. If we go ahead with it though I'd really like to see surnames on the jumpers since we won't be able to see their heads much. They trialled the names on jumpers year ago and I liked it.

Hard helmets an absolute no. Gridiron players literally weaponise them and use them to ram others player, going for the ribs etc. Just check the YouTube hit on Sav Rocca when he went to the NFL honestly that bloke should be jailed for what he did to Sav.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Been thinking about soft helmets myself and not opposed to it. If we go ahead with it though I'd really like to see surnames on the jumpers since we won't be able to see their heads much. They trialled the names on jumpers year ago and I liked it.

Hard helmets an absolute no. Gridiron players literally weaponise them and use them to ram others player, going for the ribs etc. Just check the YouTube hit on Sav Rocca when he went to the NFL honestly that bloke should be jailed for what he did to Sav.

Are there any studies which show the soft helmets are significantly effective in preventing head injury?

I thought I had read/heard that the hard helmets don’t do much and in fact may be worse as the skull bounces around in there upon impact. Although to be honest it may have just been a headline I read without looking much more into it.

Broadsword

Are there any studies which show the soft helmets are significantly effective in preventing head injury?

I thought I had read/heard that the hard helmets don’t do much and in fact may be worse as the skull bounces around in there upon impact. Although to be honest it may have just been a headline I read without looking much more into it.
I don't know of any studies, but there would obviously be a problem with test methodology: you're gonna have to get real people with real heads encasing real brains and bash them about with soft caps on, then compare the results with a bunch of real test participants who have been bashed around without soft caps on, then compare the results through 25 years. That study might have a bit of a problem getting past the ethics board for funding.

The best you could do is conduct impact studies on a substitute material. Gut instinct tells me it can only help though, and could hardly make things any worse.

I agree completely that hard helmets are a no-go as mentioned.

Broadsword

Maybe we put soft caps on mice?  :-\