Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 204791 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Alex Rance - 200 games [merged]
« Reply #2280 on: March 24, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
Is Garthwaite that slow?

Only seen him play once, but he reminded me more of Grimes than of Astbury or Rance.

Nowhere near as slow as Astbury.... :shh

Reminds me a bit of Glass.... :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2281 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
I agree that the answer is not to replace rance but to change the system slightly. The Stack suggestion is a good one especislly if he can use his evasion skills to run the ball out.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2282 on: March 24, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
Short's panicky kicks to no-one, not to mention the likes od Broad with his iffy disposal & McIntosh's blind hacks, would  probably undermine that whole plan...in terms of foot skills and decision making ,particularly under pressure-08-15 Hawthorn we ain't... even moreso without Rance.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2283 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
Short's panicky kicks to no-one, not to mention the likes od Broad with his iffy disposal & McIntosh's blind hacks, would  probably undermine that whole plan...in terms of foot skills and decision making ,particularly under pressure-08-15 Hawthorn we ain't... even moreso without Rance.... :shh

Amazed that after his last half of last season and start to this season that the myth about McKintosh's disposal continues to be peddled by some.
Foot skills and general disposal have improved dramatically. Get with the times

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2284 on: March 24, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
His disposal has indeed improved , it's still more miss than hit though.....particularly by foot....and definitely not up to the consistency  required if you want to start adopting Clarkson's/Hawthorn's premiership game plan... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2285 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
His disposal has indeed improved , it's still more miss than hit though.....particularly by foot....and definitely not up to the consistency  required if you want to start adopting Clarkson's/Hawthorn's premiership game plan... :shh
He is technically a good kick but I think he has panicked (a lot) in the past and rushed his kicks. He is now more experienced and confident and is more calm kicking and so is hitting targets a lot more frequently... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2286 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »
Well I suppose Hawthorn still won flags with Langford & Spangher while playing that style.. :shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2287 on: March 25, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »
Mick Warner on Talking Footy tonight said Rance's ACL tear was very clean. It's the best case scenario for an ACL. Carey believed Rance had his op today.

Warner also asked if Rance should try to make a comeback later this year? Carey replied that for Rance's mental well-being he should attempt to make it back. If he doesn't then it doesn't matter as the Club will access it at that time and if he isn't fully right then they won't risk him given how important Rance is to Richmond.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2288 on: March 26, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »
The focus should be on getting Rance right for the preseason. So he can get through it in full fitness and be cherryripe for the start of 2020.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2289 on: March 26, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
'Irreplaceable' Rance leaves huge hole

Roger Vaughan
ESPN
26 March 2019

Alex Rance is so valuable to Richmond, it's going to take 22 AFL teammates to replace him.

Rance will undergo his knee reconstruction on Tuesday
and will miss the rest of the season after his injury during Thursday night's round-one win over Carlton.

The key defender is the only player to make the last five All-Australian teams and his absence is a massive blow to the Tigers' premiership hopes.

But coach Damien Hardwick said they think they can find a way.

"Alex is irreplaceable, let's be honest. We cannot replace (him), he's that good a player that you can't just slot in another player," Hardwick told AFL360.

"Then we spoke as a group - it's up to 22 of us to fulfil the role of him.

"We're not expecting one player to come in and be able to get close to what that player can represent.

"It's an opportunity for us as a team to find another way."

Hardwick said it is galling that Rance was hurt in an innocuous marking contest.

"You think about the way this guy plays the game and for an incident such as that to bring about his downfall - this guy's Hercules, the way he throws around his body," he said.

Rance continues to amaze Hardwick with his reaction to the injury, staying upbeat and supporting his teammates.

"It made me feel guilty, I was feeling sorry for us," Hardwick said.

"He was in (at the club) the next day, he's that sort of person.

"He's well-and-truly entrenched and wants to help the boys become what they need to be."

While Hardwck said it would be crazy for Richmond not to use Rance in some sort of support role for the team, he is worried about the defender's enthusiasm.

"He's going to be rocking up in his Tommy Hafey gear," Hardwick joked, referring to the legendary Richmond coach.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26356981/irreplaceable-rance-leaves-huge-hole

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2290 on: March 28, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
Does anyone know who the surgeon is?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2291 on: March 28, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
YBB put his hand up. Don't know if he got the gig or not
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2292 on: March 29, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
YBB put his hand up. Don't know if he got the gig or not
I am not Julian Feller... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #2293 on: June 17, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »
Rance on MMM just now:

* Knee has been going well. He's been back running the past couple of weeks. Now only a matter of managing the swelling.

* Sees surgeon Julian Feller on Wednesday. Everything has gone well as he hasn't needed any further surgery.

* The club gulps every time this question is answered but he is a positive person and wants to play later on in the season. If Tyson Goldsack can come back after 16 weeks then why not himself. He won't play if there's a fair risk of the knee going again but he wants to comeback this season.

* He was fine watching the team play in the first months and a half. Now when he watches he is like a disgruntled coach and can see defensive systems breaking down: goals out the back or oppositions cutting through us. So he tries to pass his knowledge onto the young guys.

* He said it was exciting for us to see young blokes like Balta, Stack, Chol on weekend, Menadue getting games now, and Naish as a good father/son get.

* He credited Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin for sacrificing their game to allow him to play the way he does.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #2294 on: June 24, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »