Football > Richmond Rant

Jim Krakouer Released.

(1/4) > >>

froars:
I apologise for the heading - couldn't help myself.  Sue me if you hate it lol

--- Quote ---JIMMY Krakouer, the former champion AFL footballer jailed for 16 years in 1996 for drug trafficking, will be released from prison this morning.

Krakouer, 45, has been a model prisoner and gained maximum remissions from his sentence. He will have served just over eight years when he walks out of the minimum security Karnet Prison Farm, 55km south of Perth, at about 8.30am.

He will be on work release until February and cannot leave Western Australia until he is paroled in February.

But Krakouer is not expected to say much when he is released this morning, given that Channel 9's Footy Show host, Eddie McGuire, is understood to have a deal to interview him live on the show on Thursday night. McGuire is also expected to conduct an interview for Nine's 60 Minutes program on Sunday night. Krakouer will be paid for his story.

West Australian Director of Public Prosecutions Robert Cock has repeated a warning that Krakouer's interviews must not have "commercial value derived ... (from) involvement in the commission of an offence".

"If Jim sticks to his life in jail, how he spent the time, the pitfalls of drugs and that sort of thing there will be no problem," Mr Cock said.

"Chopper Read, for instance, doesn't talk about his crimes. He talks about time in prison writing books and things like that. All I'm very keen to do is assure other would-be drug dealers they cannot offend and later get celebrity status out of it."

A friend, Shaun Gorman, who has kept in touch with Krakouer during his time in prison, said the fallen football hero was not bitter.

"He's a lot calmer and more self-reflective and realises he made a terrible error," Mr Gorman said.

He said one of the hardest jail days for Krakouer would have been missing the debut of his son Andrew at the MCG in his first game for Richmond.

"That would have killed Jimmy," Mr Gorman said.

Krakouer and his younger brother, Phil, arrived from West Australian club Claremont to play their first games in the VFL with North Melbourne in 1982. They immediately became drawcards for their exciting style of football and their uncanny sense of each other on the football field.

Jim Krakouer played 134 games with North Melbourne and 13 with St Kilda from 1982-1991.

--- End quote ---

Typical of Eddie to get in on the act  ::)

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10430589%255E2761,00.html

JohnF:
ROFLMFAOOOOOOOOOOo froars

WilliamPowell:
I wonder if Eddie Everywhere is going to try and get young Andy on the footy show too.

Don't do it Andy  ;D

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: WilliamPowell on August 24, 2004, 03:39:53 PM ---I wonder if Eddie Everywhere is going to try and get young Andy of the footy show too.

--- End quote ---

Or to the Pies  ::)

Fishfinger:
Whoever said there is no life after footy was wrong. Jimmy got it. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version