Football > Richmond Rant

Round 1, 2005: Richmond vs Geelong

(1/4) > >>

mightytiges:
Fixtures reflect lift in status
By Greg Denham and Chip Le Grand
The Australian
August 27, 2004

ST KILDA will officially be the AFL's newest member of the blockbuster club next year.

The league's biggest crowd-drawing club this season, the Saints have been rewarded for their new-found form and attraction in next year's fixture list, which is set to be released in about five weeks.

St Kilda will open the 2005 season against Brisbane at the Gabba on the Thursday night before Easter, replacing Collingwood who have played the Lions in the corresponding match over the past two seasons.

The Saints will also receive a huge financial boost by playing the Magpies twice next year. Lowly Richmond have had their blockbuster status diminished as they will only play Collingwood once in 2005.

The Tigers have played Collingwood in round one for the past three years, but will open next season against Geelong.

The Western Bulldogs will reap the rewards of being scheduled to play the Magpies twice next year, starting in round one on the Easter weekend.

The new-found rivalry between Brisbane and St Kilda could be further enhanced as the two clubs are likely to meet again in the first week of September to start the finals.

Brisbane beat the Saints by 45 points last Sunday at the Gabba after the Saints had won the previous two clashes at Telstra Dome by one point earlier this year and by five points last season.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10578994%255E2722,00.html

froars:
Collingwood play the Dogs lol

mightytiges:
Collingwood have gone to the dogs  :thumbsup

This just goes to show the term blockbuster is now totally irrelevant to what it use to mean in the sense that tradition is now longer a requirement. The Saints have been a basket case of a club for most of their history but now all of a sudden because of their new found appeal (good luck to them for it) they are trying to be classed as a "big" club. It's no surprise top teams (and Collingwood  ::) ) will get more tv exposure than poorly performing sides by nature of people wanting to watch good footy. However the media shouldn't try to make out there's more to it than that. A Tigers side up and flying would generate higher memberships, crowds and tv viewers than the Saints or most sides in the comp.

om21:
playing the scum early was good but Im sick of the same draw every year.......Bring on the Cats i say........

Geez, real big blockbuster side the Saints are...play them at the G where they will draw no more than 40.000...back in a hole next year boys, we are coming.

Rodgerramjet:
I wish we were still playing the pies in round one because we more than likely would have beaten them and stopped our run of losses. Now it's going to be the Cats and I don't think we have beaten them in 5 years although I could be mistaken. Does anybody know if it is at Skilled or the G.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version