Author Topic: Tasmanian team [merged]  (Read 15102 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tasmanian team [merged]
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2023, 11:50:01 PM »
Jack Riewoldt to tour Tassie as AFL club begins consultation

Ethan James
AAP
16 November 2023

A gravel footy oval on Tasmania's rugged west coast will be the first port of call for Richmond Tigers great Jack Riewoldt.

The Hobart-born AFL premiership winner is spearheading community consultation for the Tasmanian expansion franchise, which was granted the league's 19th licence in May.

Riewoldt launched an online survey on Thursday which will help capture the "fabric" of the island state and help inform the club's values.

People can also suggest mascots and colours ahead of an official club reveal expected in March.

Riewoldt said a "huge amount of weight" would be placed on people's suggestions.

"Whether you love footy or you don't like football we want to hear your thoughts about what this team should represent," he
Tasmania, which has produced greats including Australian Football Hall of Fame legends Darrel Baldock, Ian Stewart, Royce Hart and Peter Hudson, fought for decades for inclusion in the national competition.

Granting of the licence, for a slated 2028 entry, was contingent on the construction of a waterfront 23,000-seat roofed stadium at Hobart's Macquarie Point.

The project, which has attracted some community and political opposition, must be assessed by an independent planning commission and voted through state parliament.

"If you get caught up in the 'ifs' and 'maybes', you'll find yourself behind the eight ball," Riewoldt said.

"We're really here for the journey. There will be some ups and downs through that but that is the Tasmanian way.

"We've tried four or five times to get this licence … we've had to earn this licence and we've had to earn every step along the way."

Riewoldt will also host several face-to-face community events, starting at Queenstown's unique gravel oval in mid-December.

"It's important we hear from Queenstown, Scottsdale, Stanley … there are amazing stories all throughout the state," he said.

Tasmanian Football Club director Kath McCann said a preferred site for the team's high-performance centre would be chosen by the end of the year.

The survey is open until November 30.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/riewoldt-to-tour-tassie-as-afl-club-begins-consultation/ar-AA1k0nuN?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=038fea83baea4b0eb2ca05ebaf890d2e&ei=22

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2024, 07:11:17 PM »
The AFL's newest team has its name and it's sure to prove popular with the locals. @RalphyHeraldSun

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1764577025980088816

It's Tasmania Devils.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 11:25:42 PM »
lmao.... :facepalm
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: Today at 09:17:44 AM »
The jumper is pretty bad imo, did they take it to a poll or anything with the tasmanians ?

Just has no character to it, same with the logo really.
Hope they make some changes

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #80 on: Today at 10:34:37 AM »
It’s been made clear that the Jumper is the foundation jumper only, it will definitely change as time goes on.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: Today at 12:35:23 PM »
Yes I've seen that too. I feel like Tazzie will be my second team. I have absolutely no affiliation with the state but I just feel as though theyve been so deserving of a team rather than GC and GWS and also being a country boy myself I feel like they will represent all country australians

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: Today at 12:49:55 PM »
The jumper is pretty bad imo, did they take it to a poll or anything with the tasmanians ?

Just has no character to it, same with the logo really.
Hope they make some changes

Yes there was a poll asking people what they wanted the team to be called, logo and the jumper. Overwhelmingly, people wanted the traditional Tassie SOO jumper
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)