Author Topic: Collingwood players admit to drug use to AFL medical officer ... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2307 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Collingwood players admit to drug use to AFL medical officer

Mark Robinson
    January 29, 2013

A GROUP of Collingwood players self-reporting drug use to the AFL was one of the catalysts for tomorrow's historic drugs summit.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Magpies players - understood to be at least four - contacted the AFL medical department after one night's activities late last season.

The players escaped a strike under a contentious provision in the AFL's Illicit Drugs Policy.

Self-reporting occurs when a player admits to an AFL medical officer to having used drugs, whether deliberately or inadvertently.

It is not only Collingwood players who are reporting drug use to the AFL.

Magpies president Eddie McGuire last night was furious when contacted for comment.

"You're telling me that, but as far as I know at the Collingwood Football Club there is a clean slate because no player as far as I know has had any strikes, because we are not told," McGuire said.

"And that you've been told something two days before a drugs summit which was specifically called for by Collingwood dismays me greatly.

"It shows this drugs policy now to be a farce, where the one thing people could hold the hat on was confidentiality.

"If there is a problem at Collingwood, and even if I suspected something, I have no powers. This is the AFL's problem, why tell me?"

Magpies chief executive Gary Pert raised the need of a drugs summit when he spoke on the eve of the national draft of an alarming use of illegal drugs by players in the off-season.

He later described the players' behaviour as "volcanic".

The AFL yesterday would not confirm the the club with the raft of self-reporting players.

Self-reporting has been described as a loophole in the drugs policy - some players have taken advantage of the strike-free confession more than once.

The drugs summit tomorrow will discuss limiting self-reports to one a year per player.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said last night any loophole in the system would be eradicated.

"There's no doubt there is an agreement any loophole that can be used will be closed," Demetriou said.

The loopholes include a group of players self-reporting, just as the Magpies players did, or a player consistently self-reporting.

Praising the self-reporting mechanism, Demetriou said it encouraged players to come forward if "they have made a mistake or have an issue".

"What it has uncovered is blokes who have got mental health issues or other issues and it allows them to get treatment," Demetriou said.

"And then all those guys go into target testing.

"If they didn't self-notify they wouldn't be target tested or have their medical issues come to the fore."

Demetriou said one self-report per player per season would be one of many discussion points tomorrow.

"That's a topic that's already been discussed and it might be one of the resolutions," Demetriou said.

"There's no firm view about where we end up other than everyone knows there is a loophole that has to be closed."

Demetriou said he was expecting a spike in positive drug tests, not from testing hair in the off-season, which he said had shown no dramatic change, but from regular in-competition testing.

"We don't know why (there is a spike) ... is it a case of it being one bad year?" Demetriou said.

"Is it in line with what happening in the community where there has been a 21 per cent increase in drug use among young people?

"Is it peer pressure? It could be all those things.

"And, also, the police will talk about this ... it's freely available."

Demetriou said the summit wouldn't be confined to drugs, and would include discussion on alcohol and whether it could be beneficial to allow players to drink more through the season so their off-season wouldn't be so alcohol charged.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-players-admit-to-drug-use-to-afl-medical-officer/story-e6frf9kx-1226563808439

dwaino

Eddie went blue shooting this down this morning. Reckons the Herald Sun were busting everyone's balls to get a story printed on Friday but couldn't. Inflating Essendon's pre-season while trying to bring every other club down, just another day at the office for Blobbo.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Good old Purplehead. ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Actually agree with Eddie and understand his view

The "3 Strikes Drugs Policy" is flawed and this "self reporting" option is just another an example of its many flaws
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

me 2

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Lucky for them they don't have a 3-strike policy for Pies fans  :laugh:.

Eddie is the great deflector. An issue that relates to his club in the morning is the AFL's problem by the afternoon. Having said that the loophole obviously needs to be closed and the whole policy at least tweaked.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Eddie is the great deflector. An issue that relates to his club in the morning is the AFL's problem by the afternoon. Having said that the loophole obviously needs to be closed and the whole policy at least tweaked.

Actually it is an AFL problem, Eddie is right when he says how can it be C'wood's problem if they don't know about it? that's the biggest flaw with the policy; clubs not being infomred until strike 3.

Robbo's article yesterday is gutter journalism at its very best

I am very much against the 3 strikes policy but as it stands the main reason they have it is to protect the indentity of those caught and offer them support etc.

Yesterday's article didn't name names but it now has opened up a Club to unwanted speculation as to who the 4 players are? One it isn't fair on those players who are "clean" and two it is goes against the whole purpose of this flawed policy and that is anonymity.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
what right has the AFL to test players for recreational drugs anyway?

why are not all employees of the AFL, including Adolph and his minions, subjected to the same standard?

As for this so called "loophole", close it and you take away incentive for those with a problem to seek help.

anyone that thinks this is only a collonwoood problem is delusional. there will be players at all clubs taking recreational drugs, including RFC.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

some fair points al, but you need to get rid of the fanny farts mate  :chuck

dwaino

Three strike system remains. Well that was a waste of a day. Bet they just sat around drinking coffee, eating cookies, and banging rocks.

http://afl.com.au/news/2013-01-30/threestrike-policy-to-remain

Ox

Is it still a strike if they're found with drugs ON them but not IN them?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Is it still a strike if they're found with drugs ON them but not IN them?

Yes, that's exactly what happened to Tom Liberatore, has recorded a first strike for being found with tablet when he was passed out drunk in the gutter

gerkin greg

did stokes get a strike or did it go to his "mate" lmao

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Second club falls into AFL’s wild drug scandal
By Paige Cardona at 7:08 pm
Bound For Glory News
January 30, 2013   

Since it was made known that a number of players from one club admitted to using drugs, that club later known as Collingwood, speculation has continued to build over which exact players they are.

However, although there are four known Collingwood players to have professed to using illegal substances, there is another AFL club that has recorded almost double that figure.

For legal and personal privacy purposes, we have decided not to name the club or players in question at this point in time. The Herald Sun’s decision to originally name Collingwood was unethical and a breach of confidentiality. However, that publication has unearthed a topic that is much bigger than just one football club, as seven players from another football club have so far been identified as using illegal substances.

The Herald Sun also published a story stating that one club and its group of players came together and elected to give up drugs at the midway point of a season in order to win a flag. It was rumoured that this club was in fact Collingwood, though that is completely false. In fact, the club in question applied this venture before Collingwood came into premiership calculations altogether.

The AFL is well and truly aware of this club in question as well as the happenings of the players. It has also been more than happy to allow the media to focus on Collingwood as a scapegoat due to the club’s enormity. As far as finances and membership numbers go, Collingwood is well and truly the league’s biggest club; it’s easy for Collingwood to divert attention away from what is arguably an even bigger issue.

Essentially, the AFL has allowed the public to remain unaware of this second club. It really makes you wonder what exactly the AFL has to hide. Or maybe even more relevant to the situation, who the AFL is protecting.

Forget public image, there is a hidden agenda behind this drugs scandal. The situation goes much deeper than just the general public’s knowledge and social media’s rumour mill. In fact, the happenings behind the closed doors of both the AFL and the club in question have the ability to bring down the AFL and its reputation that has been built up for over a century.

If those within the AFL are serious about their stance on drugs and the media’s interpretations of it, the double standards need to be abolished and action must be taken.

The truth is going to come out one way or another. The AFL can either continue to pull the curtain over what is both a serious health and ethical issue, or the truth can continue to find its way out one whistleblower at a time.

http://boundforglorynews.com/second-club-falls-into-afls-wild-drug-scandal/

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
did stokes get a strike or did it go to his "mate" lmao
:lol

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S