Author Topic: Richie Benaud retires  (Read 3350 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richie Benaud retires
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
Richie Benaud ready for final delivery
Darren Devlyn | February 19, 2009

AUSTRALIAN cricket legend Richie Benaud is preparing to hang up his famous beige jacket.

The 79-year-old former Australian captain said yesterday he would not seek a new contract with the Channel 9 commentary team.

Benaud, who was recently described as having the calmest and most influential voice in world cricket for half a century, said he had lost none of his passion but was keen to reduce his work schedule.

"I'll be doing Australian TV next year," Benaud said on Sydney radio. "I don't do TV anywhere else now and when I finish I'll be doing other things . . . there will be no more television commentary."

Nine chief executive David Gyngell said recently: "He (Benaud) will stay for as long as he wants. He will never, ever be pushed. You'd be struck by lightning if you ever tried to bone Richie Benaud."

Mr Gyngell last night added: "Richie and I spoke about this 12 months ago. The good news is that I've still got time to talk him out of it.

"Richie can come and go on Nine's broadcast whenever he likes."

Mr Gyngell confirmed Benaud was contracted until February 2011.

Benaud has been a constant with Channel 9 since the birth of World Series Cricket in 1977-78.

When told Benaud was giving commentating away, spin legend Shane Warne said: "Is he really, that's huge. If Mike Hussey is Mr Cricket, then Richie Benaud is Sir Cricket. He has the total respect of everyone in the game."

Warne said Benaud had been the consummate commentator without being overly critical.

"Over time, l learnt and came to appreciate just how good a bowler, batsman, fielder and captain he was as a player. Then I got to

know him as a friend and I consider that a great honour," Warne said.

Nine recently expanded its commentary line-up, adding retired champions Warne and Adam Gilchrist.

They joined Benaud, Ian Chappell, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Michael Slater, Mark Taylor, Ian Healy, and Mark Nicholas. Nicholas took over from Benaud in recent years as a permanent anchor.

Benaud said one of the important things he was taught was not to speak unless he could add to the picture on the screen.

Benaud was a professional journalist who at the time of being made Australian captain in 1958 was covering police, court and sport in Sydney.

His leg-spin claimed 248 wickets, the Australian record until passed by Dennis Lillee, and he scored 2201 runs with three centuries.

"There's been (newsreaders) Brian Naylor and Brian Henderson and Bert Newton and Laurie Oakes and Richie Benaud for longevity at Channel 9," Mr Gyngell said.

"They have all been the doyens of their fields."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25075260-11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richie Benaud retires
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »
He should retire on the 22/2/2022  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

bushranger

Re: Richie Benaud retires
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
He was starting to look like a Basset Hound (Sorry to all Basset Hounds out there).
And that isn't a good look to be fronting a show like live cricket.
He was good and I will give him that, but he just didn't know when to pull the pin.