Author Topic: No fairytale finish, but I can't complain: Browny (Age)  (Read 1177 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No fairytale finish, but I can't complain: Browny (Age)
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:00:22 AM »
No fairytale finish, but I can't complain
Nathan Brown
August 30, 2009

FRIDAY night was my last game for the Richmond Football Club. It wasn't a great night for us; we ended the year the way we started and there was to be no fairytale finish.

I stopped believing in fairytales long ago. In fact, I suspect when the princess kissed the frog to turn him into a prince, he just stayed a frog and she moved on to the next bloke.

Going into what could be your last game of football is both a humbling and nostalgic experience. You are humbled by the people speaking about you, in particular Jade Rawlings's words about me to the group, and you get a sense of nostalgia as you think back on your career. You think about the good times, the bad times, great players you've played with and against and, above all else, the lifelong mates you've made along the way.

My fate was decided before new coach Damien Hardwick took control, and even though I won't be there to usher in the new era, I think Damien is a fantastic appointment and will bring success to Richmond.

He's a hard man with a hard reputation and his first speech was based around tough, honest principles. His playing record speaks for itself - two premierships and another as an assistant at Hawthorn - and I wish him success at getting this great club back on its feet and into the finals.

Rawlings, our caretaker coach, was unlucky to miss out on the senior job. Experience was what probably went against him. However, he has left all our players in no doubt that he is a senior coach in waiting. His team defence style of football and knowing 100 per cent what he expected of you in your role and how to perform it was the thing that impressed me the most.

I completely understand and accept the club's decision. I have had a lot of injuries and respect where the club is going in rebuilding through the youth department. I'm a realist and probably thought mid-season when I was having groin problems that I might be moved on.

The funny part, depending on how you look at it, is that my groin was already sore in the pre-season and I hurt it more doing a one-arm push-up trying to impress somebody. At 31, you might think I would have better things to do.

When you are a young player you look to your heroes for inspiration but, as you get older and get to where I am, all of your heroes have retired. As I watched the players I idolised retire one by one, I tiny bit of my youth being taken away.

I was a massive Carlton fan, so in my early days I still had Greg Williams, Stephen Kernahan and Wayne Johnston posters on my wall; Mark Waugh and Shane Warne were my all-time favourite cricketers, and Tim Rogers (You Am I) and W. Axl Rose (Guns 'n' Roses) were my music idols. Lucky for me those two are still kicking about - old rockers never die.

So when I looked for inspiration going into my last game for Richmond, I went back to my heroes. I put on a tape of the 1995 Carlton premiership - Craig Bradley's first goal still makes the hairs on my neck stand up; I watched highlights of Waugh and Warne; I replayed that Gatting ball over and over and still get a laugh every time at Gatting's bemused expression. I fired up You Tube and watched rock classics like Welcome to the Jungle and Cathy's Clown. If I didn't play football, I would have been in a band.

If this is to be the end - and I'm not sure at the moment - there are a few things that will stick in my mind forever, images that can never be replaced. The 15 minutes after you win is an amazing experience: hugging and high-fiving your teammates while soaking up the adulation of the crowd; moving into the rooms to sing the theme song arm in arm. They are money-can't-buy minutes.

The roar of the crowd uniting and building when they get that sense that you are maybe a chance to kick a goal, and the second roar that follows when the goal umpire salutes. That's pretty special.

Most importantly, the mates I've made along the way. I've got best mates from my time at the Dogs (Robert Murphy may or may not be in there) and Richmond, also the big blond St Kilda captain. I live for those blokes and thank football for bringing us together.

Football gives so much to the community and families. It brings people together and inspires and touches those who are a part of it - from young kids right up to the boot-studder at your club. I owe football a lot, it made me part of a team and opened up a world I'd only dreamed of, it taught me discipline when I had some bad tendencies.

It's not about what you've done in the past or what you might do in the future, it's about the ride and it's been one hell of a ride. Not sure if it's over yet.

Nathan Brown played 137 games for the Bulldogs from 1997-2003 and 82 for Richmond from 2004-2009.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/no-fairytale-finish-but-i-cant-complain/2009/08/29/1251394630054.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown open to offers for next season (Age)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:01:22 AM »
Brown open to offers for next season
Brent Diamond | August 30, 2009

DUMPED Richmond forward Nathan Brown says his AFL career may not be over and he could be persuaded to play again despite plans to undergo post-season groin surgery next week.

Brown said he was happy to talk to clubs about playing another year, but wanted to be approached and would not push his case for fear of sounding ''tacky''.

Brown and teammate Mark Coughlan were delisted before Friday night's game against West Coast. Brown said later he was told by Tigers football manager Craig Cameron on Wednesday.

Brown said he was uncertain about his future, but believed next week's adductor release surgery should not be a deterrent to interested clubs.

''Blokes are back playing football in four weeks from that,'' Brown said on radio SEN yesterday.

''I still think I've got football left in me [but] I don't want to go around and sell myself and make myself appealing …

''If a club thinks that I fit in their quest for a premiership or something like that, then I'd definitely be interested and I'll make those decisions in the next couple of weeks.'' Brown said he was not bitter with Richmond but believed he would still be on its list if the club was in the finals mix.

''I understood the decision that the club was making and I fully respect that. I probably had a hunch mid-year when I missed seven games with a groin injury.

''Where we were, down the bottom of the ladder, wasn't a good look and probably [the idea was to] move a few of the old guys on. If I was in a team that was in the eight or top four that was looking for a premiership, I'd probably still be there, but I understand the club's got to rebuild and I was a casualty of that.''

Brown said he still had a lot to offer and admitted he hasn't got ''anywhere near'' his best since suffering a horrific broken leg in round 10, 2005, against Melbourne.

''Some of the games this year, I've played pretty good footy. I'm confident with the right operation and work that I can get back to playing some really good football.''

It is unlikely Coughlan, 27, will seek another AFL home. He has battled a series of knee injuries in nine seasons at Tigerland and was unable to return to the heights of 2003 when he won the Jack Dyer Medal for the club's best and fairest.

Brown, 31, joined Richmond at the end of 2003 after seven seasons at the Western Bulldogs, and played 82 games in six years at the club, for a career total of 219.

With CAMERON NOAKES

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/brown-open-to-offers-for-next-season/2009/08/29/1251394633383.html

Re: No fairytale finish, but I can't complain: Browny (Age)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
No fairytale finish, but I can't complain
Nathan Brown
August 30, 2009

I was a massive Carlton fan, so in my early days I still had Greg Williams, Stephen Kernahan and Wayne Johnston posters on my wall;
So when I looked for inspiration going into my last game for Richmond, I went back to my heroes. I put on a tape of the 1995 Carlton premiership - Craig Bradley's first goal still makes the hairs on my neck stand up;

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/no-fairytale-finish-but-i-cant-complain/2009/08/29/1251394630054.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Brown open to offers for next season
Brent Diamond | August 30, 2009

Brown, 31, joined Richmond at the end of 2003 after seven seasons at the Western Bulldogs, and played 82 games in six years at the club, for a career total of 219.

With CAMERON NOAKES

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/brown-open-to-offers-for-next-season/2009/08/29/1251394633383.html

Brownie was a "massive Carlton fan" and then spent seven years at the Bulldogs and six years at the Tigers.

Who does a player like this support when he retires?

???

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:08 AM »

Brownie was a "massive Carlton fan" and then spent seven years at the Bulldogs and six years at the Tigers.

Who does a player like this support when he retires?

???

As a cheeky little blond-haired kid he always had a Carlton jumper on.  The team his old man played for wore Hawthorn colours but Nathan was Carlton through and through - I'm pretty sure his mother Michelle followed Carlton too.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »
brown is a wallet clone , he can f o

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:30:37 PM »
What I don't get is why we delist or say that we're going to delist players like Coughlan and Brown BEFORE trade week.  Surely we'd want to see if we could get ANYTHING for them.  A 5th rounder for Brown is better than nothing.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
Yeah Danog, that made no sense to me either.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
I have great respect for Nathan Brown, not just for what he did on the field but especially for what he did off it.

For me what he did for my late mate last year who was fighting cancer will never ever be forgotten by my footy crew  :thumbsup

Well done NG Brown  :bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)