Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849589 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:49 AM »
Just looking at the footage of this Martin kid again and he will really complement our midfield no doubt about it. He is also ready to go come round 1 and with a pre-season behind him and Cuz, Cotch, Lids, Jackson and Tambling we will have a really exciting midfield......... What is it about 170 odd days until round 1... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
Just looking at the footage of this Martin kid again and he will really complement our midfield no doubt about it. He is also ready to go come round 1 and with a pre-season behind him and Cuz, Cotch, Lids, Jackson and Tambling we will have a really exciting midfield......... What is it about 170 odd days until round 1... :thumbsup

Don't forget Foley WA Tiger!  :cheers

Jackson will never be a star midfielder but has the athleticism and size to make a difference around stoppages for us at the moment. Just lacks the skills to fit into that group in the future I feel. Maybe White could break into the role?

Stripes

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »

Jackson will never be a star midfielder but has the athleticism and size to make a difference around stoppages for us at the moment. Just lacks the skills to fit into that group in the future I feel. Maybe White could break into the role?

Stripes

Andy Collins  :cheers

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »
What I've seen of Martin I like a lot.

In many ways he is the safe bet. What we haven't considered is the rules committee and trends of the game. KP forwards have been slaughtered with the hands in the back rule and also the amount of spare men back clogging up space. There are less genuine match winning KP forwards than ever and in this respect Butcher is a risk because the bar is so much higher. If the ever unpredictable AFL rules committee wanted to make the game more attractive to watch and go back to the days of marking forwards and higher scores than all of a sudden blokes like Butcher are a must.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »

KP forwards have been slaughtered with the hands in the back rule ......

How so?

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »

How so?

Standard part of any KP forwards repertoire until the AFL decided to outlaw it.

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 11:05:20 AM »

hell yes!! A preseason with a comfortable and talkitive Cuz could only help the boys aswell. I am all for picking safe 200 game early draft pics, leave the risks to 5th and 6th rounds. :thumbsup
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »

Stripes

Whoops forgot about Foley and Collins....... please not false hope again, couple of years  :)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 12:16:40 PM »
 :)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

How so?

Standard part of any KP forwards repertoire until the AFL decided to outlaw it.

Nup.  No players, including key forwards, were ever allowed to use a hand in the back up until the early 90's when the insidious practice crept in, along with wrestling.  Stephen Silvagni and Alistair Lynch were the pioneers and past masters at it.  Up until then the players had to use their own body strength and skills to time a leap, bump or positioning and it was a skill as important as any other.  When scragging and pushing became the vogue it removed one of the best skills from the game and with it went the era of high goalkicking full forwards.  Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Quinlan, Roach, Templeton, Hudson, McKenna, Wade etc etc - all high goal scoring key forwards and played most or all of their careers in the day of no pushing in the back.  After Lockett retired no goal kicker kicked a ton until the AFL decided to play the game by the existing rule (there was no rule change here - just a re-emphasis on the existing rule) and then Buddy kicks a ton.  Best day's work Adolph and his mates have done - the game is a far better spectacle and test of skills for it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »

Nup.  No players, including key forwards, were ever allowed to use a hand in the back up until the early 90's when the insidious practice crept in, along with wrestling.

When scragging and pushing became the vogue it removed one of the best skills from the game and with it went the era of high goalkicking full forwards.  Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Quinlan, Roach, Templeton, Hudson, McKenna, Wade etc etc - all high goal scoring key forwards and played most or all of their careers in the day of no pushing in the back

I've only been watching footy 20 years which is not as long as some but its been there as long as I remember. I think there is a subtle difference between a push and putting your hands up to maintain position. A push has always been a push, but the AFL now has zero tolerance on any hands which I think has disadvantaged forwards greatly.

Best day's work Adolph and his mates have done - the game is a far better spectacle and test of skills for it.

Most people in footy would disagree I feel. 6 coaches this season voted it the worst rules change the AFL has made. One voted it the best rule change.   Buckley voted against it as players rep. Walls and Aker both came out against it. I think general perception in footy circles was that it was a bad change.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »

I've only been watching footy 20 years which is not as long as some but its been there as long as I remember.

And that's about when it all started - early 90's is about 20 years ago.

I think there is a subtle difference between a push and putting your hands up to maintain position. A push has always been a push, but the AFL now has zero tolerance on any hands which I think has disadvantaged forwards greatly.

Putting your hands in the back of a player was always illegal whether it was a push or to stop the player coming back further or just to hold your position.  The skill was (is) in timing and using your body - the smallest player can out-position the biggest player by timing and subtle use of the arms and/or hips, whereas in the wrestlemania that evolved it was just a case of the biggest gorilla or sneakiest cheat would win out.  It was only the slackness of the AFL that allowed the blight to creep in and become accepted.  It promoted pushing, scragging, shoving, wrestling and reduced the spectacle of our great game significantly.

Best day's work Adolph and his mates have done - the game is a far better spectacle and test of skills for it.
Most people in footy would disagree I feel. 6 coaches this season voted it the worst rules change the AFL has made. One voted it the best rule change.   Buckley voted against it as players rep. Walls and Aker both came out against it. I think general perception in footy circles was that it was a bad change.

The rule didn't change - it remained what it always was and just got 're-applied' how it always had been in the past and always should have been.  Of course modern players would speak out against it - they have never known any different and would have some fear of a skill they have never had to learn.  It is the most refreshing thing to have come out of football in the last 10 years - a return to a more skills oriented game.  And regardless of the right/wrong of the rule interpretation - I would argue that it has done more to bring key forwards into the game than anything else.  The old interpretation was a backman's best friend - made his job soooo much easier by just having to move his leading opponent under the ball with his hands.  Sorry Jake, I can't agree with you on this one.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
Sorry Jake, I can't agree with you on this one.

Agree to disagree and back to Dustin Martin..

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
Uummmm Smokey, one obvious point in this discussion that has yet to be raised....How many umpires are on the field now compared to 30 years ago?? That surely must have some impact.I've been watching the game for almost 40 years and I remember Poor old Deller, Smith & co would always struggle to get into a good enough position to pay hands in the back. I recall it happening regularly but free kicks were just never paid.