Author Topic: How will history judge Richo? / Good bloke, great player: Mike Sheahan  (Read 1790 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matthew Richarson is a good bloke, great player
Mike Sheahan | Herald Sun November 13, 2009

HOW do we classify the flawed genius called Richo? With immense difficulty, that's how.

He won Richmond's best-and-fairest just once in 17 seasons (2007), he played only three finals, kicking five goals in 282 games.

There are dozens of Richmond players with superior records, several in his time. Yet, Richardson defies classification on stats alone.

The pertinent observation about Matthew Richardson is that he was the reason people were prepared to watch Richmond during much of the 1990s and certainly the first decade of the 21st century.

In truth, he was the solitary attraction at Richmond in so many years - the Tigers finished bottom four in eight seasons in his time.

He is a unique individual. No player has been symbolic of his club since Robert Flower retired from Melbourne.

None more loved, either.

Who can forget his gallant if unsuccessful charge towards the Brownlow Medal in 2008?

Richo pulled the pin yesterday because he had lost faith in his body. Specifically, a hamstring.

He could have continued to train, to negotiate a new contract for 2010 for at least $350,000, but he wasn't convinced he would get through another year.

That's a gutsy call. A selfless effort. That's Richo.

Richmond happily would have committed to him. He's worth $350,000 in marketing alone.

I spoke to new Richmond coach Damien Hardwick on Tuesday and he didn't know what Richardson was going to do.

In retrospect, he was guarded, but Hardwick isn't the stuff of headlines on any topic. Here's what he said at the time: "It's still Matthew's call. He's such an impressive bloke around the club, he's well loved and he's an important player.

"So, from that point of view, we're prepared to give him as much time as he needs to make the decision."

And as for whether it was his decision entirely Hardwick said.

"Yeah, he's been a great servant of this footy club and he deserves the respect to actually go out on his own terms; he's that important to this football club.

"I think Matthew is very honest with himself. He'll know when the time's right to go out."

So, the Richo-man is gone, the retirement to be formalised at a media conference this morning. Sadly, he didn't get to tell his teammates and the club staff first, but that's the modern game.

In his determination to usher Richo into the next phase of his life, his long-time manager, adviser and admirer, Ricky Nixon, simply alerted too many people yesterday. He's always liked being first with the latest, Ricky.

Oddly, Richmond's senior officials were hosting a gathering of football writers at Punt Rd when the news broke.

In deference to Richo, no official would be quoted. Glum faces, raised eyebrows, told the story.

They were saddened, even miffed, Richo had been denied a gracious exit, an opportunity to inform his teammates first, a media conference where he made the running.

The big fella was closing in on his 35th birthday. Not much time left in top-level sport, but, given his willingness to work, his extraordinary endurance and his form before ripping a hamstring off the bone, the expectation was he would play another year, and play it in customary style.

So, where does he fit in Richmond's honour roll?

He finishes sixth for games played, second only to Jack Titus for goals kicked. Imagine his numbers if he had been able to kick straight from inside 40 metres.

He was an outstanding athlete for a man of his size (195cm, 104kg) and ranked with Jonathan Brown and Nick Riewoldt of the current players as the best contested mark of the post-Carey era.

The histrionics were something else, but we were captivated by his body language.

It's impossible to believe all of us didn't love Richo in different ways.

He was a Richmond icon, he wore his heart on sleeve, he willingly acknowledged his flaws, he forgave his critics, he was all-round good bloke ... and a great footballer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matthew-richarson-is-a-good-bloke-great-player/story-e6frf9jf-1225797106942

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: How will history judge Richo? / Good bloke, great player: Mike Sheahan
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »
He is a unique individual. No player has been symbolic of his club since Robert Flower retired from Melbourne.

None more loved, either.

Who can forget his gallant if unsuccessful charge towards the Brownlow Medal in 2008?

Richo pulled the pin yesterday because he had lost faith in his body. Specifically, a hamstring.

He could have continued to train, to negotiate a new contract for 2010 for at least $350,000, but he wasn't convinced he would get through another year.

That's a gutsy call. A selfless effort. That's Richo.

Comes close to one of the best things I seen Mike write about Richmond

I spoke to new Richmond coach Damien Hardwick on Tuesday and he didn't know what Richardson was going to do.

In retrospect, he was guarded, but Hardwick isn't the stuff of headlines on any topic. Here's what he said at the time: "It's still Matthew's call. He's such an impressive bloke around the club, he's well loved and he's an important player.

"So, from that point of view, we're prepared to give him as much time as he needs to make the decision."

And as for whether it was his decision entirely Hardwick said.

"Yeah, he's been a great servant of this footy club and he deserves the respect to actually go out on his own terms; he's that important to this football club.

"I think Matthew is very honest with himself. He'll know when the time's right to go out."

And for that comment Damien - you've won me over completely  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:30:20 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how people remember Richo in 25 years time given he hardly played finals. Although he didn't get that Brownlow I hope he is remembered like a Bobby Skilton. Someone who didn't experience team success but who everyone still sees as a champion of the game and a passionate clubman.

Richo was one of last few characters and personalities in the game. He was a unique footballer. Before last year's move to the wing, those outside of the Club probably saw him just as an enigmatic goalkicking forward and so he was judged harshly because he would kick goals 50m on the boundary then miss a sitter close in front of the sticks. The move to the wing showed Richo's full range of footballing talent - his athleticism, endurance, agility, etc. He also played the game with heart and fairplay which endeared him to all footy fans. I can't remember if he ever was reported in his whole 17 years?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
I can't remember if he ever was reported in his whole 17 years?

going by what Bull said in Saturday's HUN - the answer to that is NO, certainly has never been suspended
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:23:42 AM »

going by what Bull said in Saturday's HUN - the answer to that is NO, certainly has never been suspended
In that case he should've whacked some fullbacks then when they were scragging and the umps refused to pay a free  ;D.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:21 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how people remember Richo in 25 years time given he hardly played finals. Although he didn't get that Brownlow I hope he is remembered like a Bobby Skilton. Someone who didn't experience team success but who everyone still sees as a champion of the game and a passionate clubman.

Richo was one of last few characters and personalities in the game. He was a unique footballer. Before last year's move to the wing, those outside of the Club probably saw him just as an enigmatic goalkicking forward and so he was judged harshly because he would kick goals 50m on the boundary then miss a sitter close in front of the sticks. The move to the wing showed Richo's full range of footballing talent - his athleticism, endurance, agility, etc. He also played the game with heart and fairplay which endeared him to all footy fans. I can't remember if he ever was reported in his whole 17 years?
Richo will always be remembered fondly! Ive seen nothing but lean times( i was too young to enjoy or be inconsolable since our last successful period!) and have never enjoyed watching someone so intensely since Michael Roach or Michael Mitchell! He should not be judged on his lack of finals experience but more so on what he could have produced in a successful team.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »

I think he was fined for wrestling once???? Can someone confirm. That's probably the worst of it when it came to Richo.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
Richo was fined 2 times for wrestling and once for being involved in a melee by the tribunal.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Matthew&surname=Richardson

He was also fined  twice by the league for insulting gestures to the crowd.
http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/main/club_news/richmond/view/richo_faces_finger__fine/
http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/main/club_news/richmond/P820/

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:04:59 PM »
Richo was fined 2 times for wrestling and once for being involved in a melee by the tribunal.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Matthew&surname=Richardson

He was also fined  twice by the league for insulting gestures to the crowd.
http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/main/club_news/richmond/view/richo_faces_finger__fine/
http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/main/club_news/richmond/P820/
How could I forget the two finger incidents :D. I've got footage of the one at the 'G. Richo kicks a point then gives the finger towards someone on the field and Dougy Hawkins who was commentating says one sugar thanks.

Ta al.