Author Topic: Why does Carlton seem to have the wood on us ?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Why does Carlton seem to have the wood on us ?
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
For me being beaten by Carlton is a little like Australia losing to England in the Ashes.It leaves you with a horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Do we remember round 7 2005 ? We smashed the Blues 151-66. Since that marvelous afternoon, Carlton has won 7 out of the next 10 (including the last 5 games straight.)

Why are they laughing at us over there at Carlton ?

Going into the 2009 season Mike Sheehan had trouble separating Richmond & Carlton and was predicting a renewed rivalry.

I am no expert when it comes to Carlton...however it is my theory that we continuously underestimate their midfield while always over estimating ours.
They also seem to have a far higher skill level than us...eg they can hit a target from 20 m.

Anyone else have any theories why our recent record against the Scum is so poor ?
Unleash the tornado

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Why does Carlton seem to have the wood on us ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
It doesn't even compare to losing the Ashes. I hate this far worse and im a cricket man.

I personally think once we get over the line with this new team, we will start to win more than we lose.

Its not just the Blues, its North, Pies, Cats, Saints. They all have the wood on us.

Its got nothing to do with their midfield, we still got beaten by a Blues team without Judd. We just have to believe we can win and we will.

To be honest i don't think the first game of the year helps us being a young team. Wish they took that away from us.

I don't see how they will get even close to a flag this year the Blues i dont rate them at all.

Tagg Murphy and Simpson that over rated hack, Waite and the game is ours. Problem is we let Spuds like Scotland get 40 possy's.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »
It doesn't even compare to losing the Ashes. I hate this far worse and im a cricket man.

I personally think once we get over the line with this new team, we will start to win more than we lose.

Its not just the Blues, its North, Pies, Cats, Saints. They all have the wood on us.

Its got nothing to do with their midfield, we still got beaten by a Blues team without Judd. We just have to believe we can win and we will.

To be honest i don't think the first game of the year helps us being a young team. Wish they took that away from us.
I don't see how they will get even close to a flag this year the Blues i dont rate them at all.

Tagg Murphy and Simpson that over rated hack, Waite and the game is ours. Problem is we let Spuds like Scotland get 40 possy's.

Well said daniel  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
Well when you lose your 6 most experiences players and a handfull of promising players don't go to the next level then a cleanout results and you will struggle for a couple of years while the 25 players you recruited get 20-30 games into them. That's the reason we have lost our last 5 games against them. We'll catch them again very soon. Maybe we'll beat them Round 1  8)

Gigantor

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
Up until now they have beaten us because they have been more skilfull,bigger,stronger,and better organised..i stress UNTIL NOW.
The tiger is stirring

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
There's a couple of other things I've noticed too.
(1) Carlton likes to play a very direct,free-flowing and high-scoring style of footy. Their style doesn't necessarily work against sides that are adept at clamping down the contest (ie, Collingwood and St.Kilda), but unfortunately we've had no answer for it.
We still dither around on the back foot, chipping around and going nowhere against them, while they just go bang bang through the corridor and tear open massive holes in our defence, creating a deluge of scoring opportunities.
(2) We don't seem to be able to stop their crumbers like Betts, Yarran and Gartlett, who just seem to hoover up the spillages from their key forwards.
Both of these things are extremely frustrating to watch play out over and over.   

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
Other teams like Geelong, Sydney & St Kilda have had the wood on us. I don't see that Carlton have.

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:06:37 AM »
Other teams like Geelong, Sydney & St Kilda have had the wood on us. I don't see that Carlton have.

Yeah I know Mr Magic that there are other teams have Really had the wood on us such as the Saints.I believe they have won about 11 in a row now.

For some reason I have made my peace with that but the fact that Carlton has won the past five really upsets me :'(
Unleash the tornado

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
Carlton don't have the wood on us :chuck.

If there is a side that's had the wood on us it's ADELAIDE. Carlton god forbid.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »
Up until now they have beaten us because they have been more skilfull,bigger,stronger,and better organised..i stress UNTIL NOW.
The tiger is stirring
That in bold pretty much sums it up. Especially size-wise we look far lighter and shorter than they do with their many 6' 2"ers although that's true for us against most sides  :-\. The Blues are at least 2-3 years ahead of us in development sadly and we've just got to suck it up until the wheel turns in a few years. They are stronger and more experienced across the lines than us. If we are to turn it around sooner it'll have to start in the midfield so we aren't blown away early so the game is over by halfway through the second quarter. Waite is one who has killed us off a wing over the past two years  :scream. Grabbing the lead early on at least puts the opposition under some scoreboard pressure so their confidence doesn't grow and they can't start pulling out the party tricks. It's bad enough being flogged by them lately without having to sit and watch the flukey soccer goals from any angle :chuck.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
Y'know, perhaps we have something to thank those scum for?

If they had not of flogged us in 2009 and shattered our whole season we may have done enough to keep wallace his job and the club continue down that seemingly directionless path we have been on for the last decade.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »

If they had not of flogged us in 2009 and shattered our whole season we may have done enough to keep wallace his job and the club continue down that seemingly directionless path we have been on for the last decade.

Nice glass half full there al.  :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »

so true

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »

I like your thinking there al. Nothing like a little humiliation to jolt an organisation into reality.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
I can't stand the Carlton Skumbags! I think the pain is worse because it comes at the end of a long preseason drought where hopes build and expectations are hard to contain. Add a big crowd and media hype and you get a big fall every year.  :banghead

I just can't stand the Bluebaggers because they are cheats. They have the players they have through raping the system and buying their way through it.

It is the midfield battle that we have always lost in the past but, as with every year, I have high hopes that may be arrested this year. While they have added Gibbs to the middle we have two new mature aged bodies in the mix (Bachar & Grigg), two far more experienced and fitter younger stars (Cotchin & Martin) and a solid, pacy, experienced campaigner who could finally be injury free (Foley). I think the dynamics will suit us far more than in the past but my only worry is the ruck matchups - Warnock is a monster (another $ recruit) and he could have the greatest influence over the stoppages than any midfielder.

Always an exciting buildup but I think after years of pain, it's only fair if we snag this years game and come away from the game excited too!  :thumbsup

Stripes