Author Topic: Saints gain at Tigers' expense from the Australian  (Read 3128 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Saints gain at Tigers' expense from the Australian
« on: May 26, 2004, 10:09:14 AM »
Saints gain at Tigers' expense
By Greg Denham
May 26, 2004

ST KILDA's new on-field resurgence will be rewarded with "blockbuster" status from next year.

It appears increasingly likely that the AFL will feature the unbeaten Saints in some of the biggest games next season, at the expense of Richmond.

St Kilda's form could lead to them playing Collingwood twice, starting with an Easter MCG blockbuster.

St Kilda's rise could end the recent annual fixturing of Collingwood and Brisbane at the Gabba the night before Good Friday and the popular Easter Monday clash against Richmond at Telstra Dome.

The Saints' latent supporter base has been stirred this year with the club averaging almost 44,000 at Telstra Dome, just 400 less on average than Collingwood.

The swell of St Kilda's popularity is so great that they have so far this season averaged attendances of almost 5000 more per game than Essendon.

The biggest hurdle the AFL faces in fixturing a St Kilda-Collingwood opening-round game next year is from Channel Nine, which wants to maintain the Brisbane-Collingwood match at the Gabba.

That annual pre-Easter match in Brisbane has been the most popular national free-to-air home-and-away game two years running.

In 2003, a national audience of almost 1.3 million saw the Lions-Magpies game. It has been the most-watched Channel Nine match in Victoria this year.

The biggest losers next year will be cash-strapped Richmond, who not only appear set to miss out on their annual opening-round game with Collingwood, but the Tigers will lose their Easter Monday match against the Saints, which ensured they played each other twice a year.

Last month Richmond sought a $3.5 million bank redirection of its annual AFL dividend to meet day-to-day requirements, including monthly player payments.

It is understood Collingwood have objected to playing Richmond to start the 2005 season after the Tigers opted out of their gate-sharing agreement at the last minute this year.

The Magpies were angered by the Tigers' lack of respect for accepted football protocol when they demanded all the round-one match receipts because of their cash-flow crisis.

St Kilda, too, has had enough of Richmond after the Tigers attempted to hijack a proposed Good Friday game this year against Carlton, squeezing out the Saints.

St Kilda president Rod Butterss last year declared his club was on the verge of blockbuster status with two games a year each against Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton.

"Our objective is to share a partnership against another club in the long term. We thought we had an arrangement with Richmond, but that appears to be off the table," Butterss said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9663180%255E2722,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Saints gain at Tigers' expense from the Australian
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 10:10:51 AM »

It is understood Collingwood have objected to playing Richmond to start the 2005 season after the Tigers opted out of their gate-sharing agreement at the last minute this year.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9663180%255E2722,00.html

Always thought that the way that situation was handled would come back to bite us on the backside.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 10:33:30 AM »
Yep me too WP
A short sighted mistake which will make us suffer worse in the long run.
The shame of it all now is the clubs only real final 'strength' us the supporters will miss out too.
Considering how woeful we have been,our membership is quite resonable.
I can only wonder though how big it could actually be if we sustained some success.
40000 out of the question?
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »
its definately becoming 2004 the year of mourning

i will be wearing a "red" arm band this weekend at subi
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 01:46:06 PM »
40,000 is easil attainable if we had sustained success.  Easy.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?