Author Topic: Pair of rivals “absolutely in the running” for Richmond star (ZeroHanger)  (Read 467 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Pair of rivals “absolutely in the running” for Richmond star as agent provides latest on off-contract Tigers trio: AFL trade news

MITCH KEATING
EDITOR | MARCH 20, 2024 - 5:23PM

Two rival clubs are said to be keen on luring an off-contract Richmond star home, while the manager of three further unsigned Tigers has provided an update on where their situations sit at Punt Road.

The Tigers have a plethora of contract calls to make this year, with Liam Baker, Dustin Martin, Jack Graham, Dylan Grimes, Dion Prestia and Toby Nankervis all currently without deals for 2025.

Graham is unsigned after reaching a contract trigger last year, with the onballer set to see out the end of his deal despite meeting with Port Adelaide 18 months ago.

The South Australian decided to remain in the yellow and black and extend his tenure into an eighth season.

Talks between Graham, the Tigers and his management have commenced early into the year, however all parties are set to wait and see where things sit later into the season.

Speaking on Gettable, Kapital Sports Group agent Marty Pask said all parties will wait and see how 2024 progresses.

"At the moment we're just going to see how it all unfolds," Pask said.

"Richmond is in an interesting position with their list, where they're, a couple of older guys and they're starting to play some youth as well.

"We've met (with the Tigers) and agreed to take a breath and see how the season starts for everybody. We'll kick the tyres on that in the next little while.

"I've done deals with Blair Hartley for a very long time, there's nothing there that's untoward or should surprise anyone other than looking at where Richmond's at and what they want to do, and what does Jack Graham want to do and where is he at? Both parties talk through that."

Also the manager of veteran pair Dylan Grimes and Dion Prestia, Pask couldn't provide a clear-cut call on the duo's future with Richmond given the current early stages of the new season.

Both players are free agents this year and could weigh up retirement calls as the Tigers look to the future, however Pask isn't expecting any decision to come soon.

"We'll look through the year. You can't make a call on anyone right now in terms of how the year may pan out," he added.

"It's a wait-and-see. Just to see how it works, where Richmond is at and the desire for both of those two to keep playing. Nobody is making a call here and now to say that they're finishing by any means."

Arguably Richmond's biggest retention target is Baker, who is without a deal for next year and is said to be on the radar of clubs from his home state of Wester Australia.

Both the Eagles and Dockers are reportedly expressing an interest in the Tigers flanker, with AFL.com.au'sCal Twomey revealing both sides are "absolutely in the running" for Baker's services.

"[West Coast and Freamtle] were both in the running for Liam Baker last time and they're both absolutely in the running for him again," Twomey said on Gettable.

"In 2022 when Baker re-signed for two more years, that was done late in the season, I think again it's going to be a discussion that's happening late in the season.

"They're both going to be throwing long and lucrative deals at him. It's going to be a longer watch this year."

Richmond's are still searching for their first win of the year, with a Round 2 clash against Port Adelaide at the MCG their next chance to claim a maiden win under new coach Adem Yze.

https://www.zerohanger.com/pair-of-rivals-absolutely-in-the-running-for-richmond-star-as-agent-provides-latest-on-off-contract-tigers-trio-afl-trade-news-148575/

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Grimes and Prestia surely retiring at years end.

Graham can go for a 2nd rounder.

Love bakes but I wouldn’t give him big $$$ to stay. Problem is I don’t think anyone will give a first rounder for him and your just as likely to draft a worse player than him with a second, probably more likely if we’re being honest.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

Love bakes but I wouldn’t give him big $$$ to stay. Problem is I don’t think anyone will give a first rounder for him and your just as likely to draft a worse player than him with a second, probably more likely if we’re being honest.

do you think schulz from pies (formerly freo) is a better player?

pies offered up this

The Club gave up pick 34 in this year’s national draft and a future first round selection to Fremantle for Schultz’s services.

whilst lachie scored more goals, It has to be said bakes isnt a FT forward and still managed about half the goals.

has scored well in the b&f the last 3 or 4 years, and also has a few medals around his neck.

first round or FO. Hopefully some good will with Clarke at the eagles, should he choose them .

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
As I said, gunna have to give up a decent player or two if we wanna go after JUH & keep good draft hands for the next two years before the Tassie concessions kick in....even if we don't go after JUH should still do it anyway.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Trade Graham and Short for me. Retire Grimes snd Prestia. If Baker wants to go and its a good deal get it done his replaceable. We need to make hard calls. Not interested in Hagan. Hit the draft and free agency and good young players not getting games at clubs.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
As I said, gunna have to give up a decent player or two if we wanna go after JUH & keep good draft hands for the next two years before the Tassie concessions kick in....even if we don't go after JUH should still do it anyway.... :shh

You can forget JUH he is about to re-sign with the Dogs (as I suggested he would on another thread 😁)

And on Baker, one of the WA papers is saying he's just bought a $2.2 mil riverside house

From Twitter @TheWestSport
EXCLUSIVE: Richmond Tiger Liam Baker has purchased a multi-million-dollar riverside property in Perth amid speculation the West Australian star could be eyeing a return home.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bakes is a first class person who deserves to secure his financial future. Should he leave, his time at the Tigers will be applauded from where he came from to who he has become. Personally- I would prefer he stays but he misses home so we need to secure the best deal possible. Bakes leaving would be a large blow to our culture.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame

pies offered up this

The Club gave up pick 34 in this year’s national draft and a future first round selection to Fremantle for Schultz’s services.

whilst lachie scored more goals, It has to be said bakes isnt a FT forward and still managed about half the goals.

has scored well in the b&f the last 3 or 4 years, and also has a few medals around his neck.

first round or FO. Hopefully some good will with Clarke at the eagles, should he choose them .

Mathematically that's the equivalent of about pick 12-15, assuming Pies finish near the top of the ladder and the picks slide a bit due to bids etc.

That's for a bloke who has kicked 85 goals in the last 3 years and has at least 5 years of footy left in him you'd think.

Bakes is a similar age and a good player but I think the one thing that might turn clubs off is that he doesn't seem to have a fixed role that he excels in, and most clubs I think trade for their specific needs. Bakes averages just under 20 touches and 0.5 goals/game over the last 3 years. Handy indeed and he's done some great things moving around the ground but never really cemented himself anywhere.

I'd be surprised if someone is offering anything more than a *late* first rounder but unless we got a good offer I'd be keeping him, hands down.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

pies offered up this

Mathematically that's the equivalent of about pick 12-15, assuming Pies finish near the top of the ladder and the picks slide a bit due to bids etc.

That's for a bloke who has kicked 85 goals in the last 3 years and has at least 5 years of footy left in him you'd think.

Bakes is a similar age and a good player but I think the one thing that might turn clubs off is that he doesn't seem to have a fixed role that he excels in, and most clubs I think trade for their specific needs. Bakes averages just under 20 touches and 0.5 goals/game over the last 3 years. Handy indeed and he's done some great things moving around the ground but never really cemented himself anywhere.

I'd be surprised if someone is offering anything more than a *late* first rounder but unless we got a good offer I'd be keeping him, hands down.

i agree, id like him to stay, but i standby any day of the week he is worth that.

more stats, dual premiership player,

how many turnovers has he caused in the last 3/4 years? 1% ?

as for cementing himself in a set position, blame the coaches. I think he has done extremely well.

first round or FO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
They can all go

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Baker is tough as nails and love watching him but I'm not sure hes that good of a player tbh. Very limited by his size, would obviously rather a trade than to let him go in FA

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Never ceases to amaze me how many supporters who want higher picks and/or to trade in good players think you can get them without giving up any good players or by just bundling up a bunch of shytty fringe players.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
I actually think his best football by far (not including a few hot quarters in the middle) has been as a bp/hbf. It just so happens to be one of positions where we have the most players who can excel there so he has been moved around as a result.

Even with a late first rounder, don’t think we’ll get a player as good as bakes as I do rate him highly and love him as a player. Then again we could use that pick with another to trade further up the draft.