Author Topic: How did you become a Tiger supporter?  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: How did you become a Tiger supporter?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 12:26:15 AM »
When I was six I decided I was going to be a Hawthorn supporter and told my "footy ignorant" mother to buy me the yellow and brown jumper.Mum obviously thought black was close enough to brown....the rest is history

Thanks Mum.

So you're really a Whorethorn supporter :D
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tigerwoods

• Future Richmond star
  • beware the sleeping giant
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 01:55:48 AM »
As a little tacker I thought Wayne Campbell looked like the green power ranger. Dad had no chance with the pies

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
by the way I will not allow freedom of choice in my family home with regards to footy teams - it's Richmond or get out

:lol   :thumbsup

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:27 AM »
Dad is a Tiger supporter and I just followed.

I do remember changing teams every now and then for about a day or so as a kid, but I always got drawn back to the Tigers.

I'm currently brainwashing my two little tackers, hopefully they'll see some success.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Arrived form OS in 1985, Was wooed by many clubs supporters, was just about to sign up with the Pies, then Hawthorn, then saw RFC beat Hawthorn at Princes Park of all places. The wife went for Hawthorn and lucky me went for the Tiges.
For some time I thought our theme song was "Whisky Can and Tin" instead of "Risking head and shin", maybe that was what did it!!.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
Dad barracked for Richmond
Went to my first game at the age of 6 in 1966
Seen 5 flags
Can remember Paddy Guinane.John Northey Frank Dimattina Graeme  Burgin.Roger Dean etc etc
Was in the rooms after the Windy Hill brawl the day Whale Roberts got hit

Nealy exactly me Jack excpet I wasnt in the rooms that day. All the rest is exact.
I also was Born in Richmond, lived in a Richmond recruiting zone (oakleigh), had a hand knitted Richond jumper before I was 1 and Played for the Tigers little league. Basically there was no hope for me. I also passed the curse to my two girls and my wife (She was a Balmian Tiger girl so it wasnt hard). Was there in 1969 and remember swipping a "Council of Richmond no parking sign" after the 1973 flag (or 74 not sure).
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
Arrived form OS in 1985, Was wooed by many clubs supporters, was just about to sign up with the Pies, then Hawthorn, then saw RFC beat Hawthorn at Princes Park of all places. The wife went for Hawthorn and lucky me went for the Tiges.
For some time I thought our theme song was "Whisky Can and Tin" instead of "Risking head and shin", maybe that was what did it!!.

Did roachy kick 11 that day :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

I do recall he did, that may also have been the day they made a special tie featuring Roachy??

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
It is a fathers god given right to inflict this curse on his children. I was anointed in 1968 and  I passed it on to my son in 1991 and he too one day will pass it onto his son.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »

I do recall he did, that may also have been the day they made a special tie featuring Roachy??

I have that tie.

Mark of the year 1979 over the top of Kelvin Moore's dad

:thumbsup
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
When are you going to become a Tiger, '69?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »
I was born in Brighton Street back in 1933 Both my parents and some grandparents were also born there My great grandparents had a Fellmongery there in the late1840s.

'it,s in the Blood' :thumbsup

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 05:02:46 AM »
I was born in Brighton Street back in 1933 Both my parents and some grandparents were also born there My great grandparents had a Fellmongery there in the late1840s.

'it,s in the Blood' :thumbsup

Post of the year
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
30 or so years ago a family member got a job with the Club (Under 19s). So as a kid I spent every second winter weekend at Punt Rd where we still played home games at that level. Occasionally the U19s were the curtainraiser to the seniors at the 'G so we were allowed in the rooms of the seniors. As a kid you thought it was Christmas. I still don't understand why Doug Searl who coached the U19s to (two) premierships, like Pagan did at North in the 80s, never got a senior gig at Richmond. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
My old man's uncle was a player for Ruthless Richmond.  There was never a thought to follow anyone else.  It's in the blood!  Pity no one in the family since has shown any ability!  Saw my first game live in '66 and saw five premierships by my 23rd birthday.  Still waiting for number six.