Author Topic: Movies  (Read 63994 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Movies
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
lol I had already reviewed it earlier.so I just removed the comments i just posted

LOL G. Just realised that you reviewed it with the very first post in this thread. It just goes to show how a person's mood and surroundings determines your patience for a film. I was at home feeling very chilled when I watched it, so I allowed it trundle along at its own pace. Had I been in a more hyped up mood when I watched it, or I was being interrupted, I probably wouldn't have rated it so highly.

Gigantor

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »
wish more people would review movies here,then we could get diverse opinions,and stimulate debate more.We all see things slightly differently ,and thank god for that

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »
I watched a movie called Haute Tension (High Tension) yesterday.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

This is a french horror/thriller movie made in 2003, so unless you speak french, its reading subtitles for the duration.  I'm not sure if it because the french speak fast or just the subtitles file I used, but early in the film i found it a bit hard to read fast enough, not a problem i normally have. Luckily there is not a lot of dialogue, as the film goes on and most of the early dialogue is not critical, although there is a hint given early on as to the how things pan out. Most of it you just need to get the gist.

Two students (mademoiselles  ;) ) are traveling to one of their parents' rural property for some study time, but what should be a relaxing time in the country quickly turns in a murderous nightmare when the doorbell rings after everyone has retired to bed on the first night.

Its a reasonably well made film for the genre and manages to hold the suspense quite well.

There is though a serious flaw in the storyline, and these thing really bugg me. As i said there is a hint given early on and i thought I had it pegged, but when things are revealed to be as i thought, this flaw had me convinced there must be more to it, whicht there wasn't.

Every thing else fits into place nicely though except for this it is a well made movie. at the end you see how some of seemingly irrelevant scenes fit into the overall picture, but i was left wondering how the?/what the ?. some films deliberately leave questions unanswered, but in this case it just doesnt make sense, and that buggs me, so it loses a bill for that

I enjoy this genre of of film and have watched, and enjoyed, some crap. Overall this was one of the better ones, but it just let itself down on one point.

Taking into account we give dolphs for the true rubbish, this is 2 bills. If you like the genre there are worse ones you could watch

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »
AL I have watched many french movies over the years and have mostly left feeling something is not quite right.Maybe you have nailed it with the fast pace of the dialogue.Maybe I'm too busy trying to read the subtitles and the movie has visually moved on

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »
In this case it is a flaw in the plot/storyline. I'd give away too too much if i tried to explain it in detail. the fast paced dialogue is really only an issue in the first 15 mins or so, even then its not that critical. the film, as with most in this genre, is more visual.

perhaps we need to lobby the admin to install a [spoiler] mod to the forum?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
al you have me intrigued so I'm happy for you to spoil away....

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »
Teenage Dirtbag.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091207/
Now, heres a change of pace not to mention a path rarely traveled by me.

I actually came across the trailer while watching the film clip for the song with the same title on youtube only a couple of days ago. I thought it may be something for the missus, the trailer was slightly intriguing and thought perhaps it would be bearable so I downloaded it off the bay and thought no more of it.

Today, out of the blue, she buys some popcorn and says that i should download a movie to watch and she'll cook up a big bowl. No horror, shoot 'em up, blood and guts or boring (to her) docos were the requirements.

oh, the despair, then i remember i had downloaded this.

The summery of the movie found on IMD and such sites is actually not really accurate and overly simplistic for what this film delivers.

This movie is the old boy from the wrong side side of the track meets middle class cheerleader, but it is not a shallow, tacky, predictable, and sickening love story with a nauseating fairytale plot. Nor is it the tragic romeo and julet type of story, but it probably falls closer to the later.

Much of the film is set either in a creative writing class, which at first appearance may seem as boring as reading Sons and Lovers, but it enables the complex depth of the characters be shown in a way that very few films can manage, or in a study class, passing notes back and forward. Again this allows an insight into the complexity of their relationship that very few films could manage, yet at a level of succinctness that Craw could only dream about  ;D - actually at a level very few of us could dream about.

This is actually a very dark film that delves deep into the human psyche, not just the teenage one. While I wouldn't say i enjoyed watching it as much as the sort of film I would normally choose to watch, I didn't have to suffer through it or come outside and search for clips of dolphins humping women on youtube to pass the time while the missus watched it. For a film that could easily be lost amongst the piffle served up as the old midday movie this was a pleasant surprise.

If you need some brownie points from the missus, you are the missus or you just enjoy films that actually have a bit of substance you could do a lot worse than this.

2 1/2 bills, i give it, which is probably as high as i would ever rate this type of flick

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »

nah, download and watch it first, then ill tell you what bugged me about it..and perhaps you may find an explanation where i couldn't.  it would be good for someone else's view point, but one gained without my preconceptions clouding it.

Gigantor

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
Off to the classic again yesterday arvo..This time saw the American movie"This is 40"
A story about a middle america family and all its neurosis.At first i thought this movie is going to get some serious dolph votes.however once i got into the flow i was laughing my head off.I didnt realise this at first but this movie was really having a crack at the neurosis I mentioned above.The family at the centre of this movie was a husband and wife and 2 young girls.Both parents were turning 40 the same week.Both were having financial difficulties with their respective businesses,and constantly feuding with their young daughters and each other.And not to mention a rather over the top extended family..
Anyway i do recomend this movie for a slightly left of centre look at modern society
I give this

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »

nah, download and watch it first, then ill tell you what bugged me about it..and perhaps you may find an explanation where i couldn't.  it would be good for someone else's view point, but one gained without my preconceptions clouding it.

No probs. I'll let you know when I have watched it and we can compare notes.  :thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »
Off to the classic again yesterday arvo..This time saw the American movie"This is 40"
A story about a middle america family and all its neurosis.At first i thought this movie is going to get some serious dolph votes.however once i got into the flow i was laughing my head off.I didnt realise this at first but this movie was really having a crack at the neurosis I mentioned above.The family at the centre of this movie was a husband and wife and 2 young girls.Both parents were turning 40 the same week.Both were having financial difficulties with their respective businesses,and constantly feuding with their young daughters and each other.And not to mention a rather over the top extended family..
Anyway i do recomend this movie for a slightly left of centre look at modern society
I give this

G, I watched this and actually found that 134 minutes is just too long for a comedy. It just seemed to drag on for me. I found the first 20 minutes to be quite funny but then I felt the same about "Ted" also.
I thought Jason Segel was under utilised as he can usually deliver quality comedic characters. Megan fox was a pleasant diversion from an aesthetic point of view but overall I found it a little tedious. In saying that, I think my taste in comedies has changed though over the past few years. I'm now more into offbeat UK style comedies rather than Hollywood Ha ha's. Something about Mary had me in stitches when it came out but If I saw it for the first time now, I would probably be less enthused.
I would give "This is 40"...

Gigantor

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
Yep i agree Tiga re Ted...In my case i barely raised a sman throughout..

Hey guys why is the word s-n-i-g-g-e-r considered inappropriate?

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Hey guys why is the word s-n-i-g-g-e-r considered inappropriate?

I've got no s-s-t-u-f-f-i-n idea!

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
the swear filter picks up on the word that only black people can say, within the word

Gigantor

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
AH ok got it Al....thanks