Author Topic: Movies  (Read 63978 times)

Gigantor

Re: Movies
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Of to the Cameo cinema last night in the hills to see Lincoln.I have been to the cameo many times, however last night was really quite something.Being a warm evening people were out and about.Across the road from the cameo is a rather picturesque cafe set amongst some awesome trees.Last night they had a band(s) on there ,playing outside.It was a sort of a folk/rock band and fitted in perfectly with the serene surroundings.
Onto to the movie..i would descibe Lincoln as more or less a talk fest.Action is non existant.The movie follows party wrangling that ensued prior to the passing of the 13th amendment in 1865 making slavery illegal.The movie is set in the dying days of the civil war .
Strange to me was that the republican party of which Lincoln was part of was the party championing this law.The democrats who today are the party of social equality and social reform was the party that opposed this legislation.
The acting was good with daniel day lewis playing lincoln and doing a good job of it.Tommy lee jones played a  tough hard ball senator from Pennsylvania,who not only favoured the legislation but secretly wanted it to go further and give colored people the vote too .
Almost forgot to add that sally field playing lincolns wife was also very impressive
Like i said the acting was really good ,but dont expect any action
i give this

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:16:25 AM by Gigantor »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »
You have me intrigued, is it directed by Robert Celestino (2011) ?
Sorry for the delay......It is directed by Celestino.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
You have me intrigued, is it directed by Robert Celestino (2011) ?
Sorry for the delay......It is directed by Celestino.

All good thank you!

Ruanaidh

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
I see the Hollywood propaganda factory gave its best 'picture' Oscar to the anti- Iran crap called Argo:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article34123.htm

Gigantor

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
Off to the classic to see the movie "cloud Atlas"..A movie which trys to show how individuals actions can influence the past ,present and future.Well thats what it was trying to convey.
It starred Tom hanks,Halle berry,Hugh grant ,and an endless parade of named actors.
Me i found this movie rather disjointed ,it hopped around all over the place and for probably 50% of the movie i was trying to work out the plot.
i cant really say much more because to be honest its still got me scratching my head
I give this

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
Off to the classic to see the movie "cloud Atlas"..A movie which trys to show how individuals actions can influence the past ,present and future.Well thats what it was trying to convey.
It starred Tom hanks,Halle berry,Hugh grant ,and an endless parade of named actors.
Me i found this movie rather disjointed ,it hopped around all over the place and for probably 50% of the movie i was trying to work out the plot.
i cant really say much more because to be honest its still got me scratching my head
I give this

Wow our first Dolf.  :clapping Well done G for being so frank. Margaret Pomeranz would probably give it 4 stars  :lol

Gigantor

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Cough Cough..i think she  gave it 4 or 3 1/2

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
I finally watched "Flight" the other night.

****************** Possible spoiler alert *******************

Not knowing the overall plot, after watching the first 20 minutes I was expecting an action film and in the end it turned out to be a parable on alcohol and drug addiction. The dialogue in the stairwell scene was outstanding and probably the best moment in the film for me aside from the early action scene which was very suspenseful.

Overall I enjoyed it but I felt there were a couple of characters in the film that became superfluous as it progressed and it fell a little flat at times because of this.

I give "Flight"

dwaino

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
Has anyone seen the move Love that's currently out as a new release on DVD/Blu-ray? It's still at premium price on blu-ray (I don't download stuff... I guess I have too much expendable income and I like to burn it by making my movie collection look pretty on the shelf  ;D) and I'm sick of paying top dollar for crap movies.

Here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYmAixzpMg

My favourite genre is sci-fi, and this quote from wikipedia "Additionally, it touches on the fragility of mankind's existence (explored through a dying Earth-apocalyptic doomsday scenario) inspired by the cautions of Carl Sagan in Pale Blue Dot and considers the importance of memories and stories as humanity's legacy" has me wanting to shoot yogurt every where as Carl Sagan is my hero and any sort of apocalyptic or misanthropic theme is another pet love of mine.

I'm not a massive film buff, but I love it when I come across the little gems that never made it huge at the box office. The last I found and absolutely adored was Another Earth (has the vibe of Contact).

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
Trailer looks awesome dwaino. I'll let you know what I think after I watch it. Looks deep, like Mariana's Trench deep, but I like this type of film so I am expecting to enjoy it.  :thumbsup

Ruanaidh

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »
Has anyone seen the move Love that's currently out as a new release on DVD/Blu-ray? It's still at premium price on blu-ray (I don't download stuff... I guess I have too much expendable income and I like to burn it by making my movie collection look pretty on the shelf  ;D) and I'm sick of paying top dollar for crap movies.

Here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYmAixzpMg

My favourite genre is sci-fi, and this quote from wikipedia "Additionally, it touches on the fragility of mankind's existence (explored through a dying Earth-apocalyptic doomsday scenario) inspired by the cautions of Carl Sagan in Pale Blue Dot and considers the importance of memories and stories as humanity's legacy" has me wanting to shoot yogurt every where as Carl Sagan is my hero and any sort of apocalyptic or misanthropic theme is another pet love of mine.

I'm not a massive film buff, but I love it when I come across the little gems that never made it huge at the box office. The last I found and absolutely adored was Another Earth (has the vibe of Contact).
Will give it a look Dwaino.

dwaino

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
Cool, cheers guys.

About to head up to the shops and I reckon I'm going to finally get it anyway, regardless of price lol. Most likely won't get to watch it until some time over the weekend though.

dwaino

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
Trailer looks awesome dwaino. I'll let you know what I think after I watch it. Looks deep, like Mariana's Trench deep, but I like this type of film so I am expecting to enjoy it.  :thumbsup

Just remembered, you may be interested in this one too Tiga. It's called Moon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q

One of my favourite recent movies. Reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but a bit less WTF.

Gigantor

« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
Growing up Carl sagan was one of my heroes.
Saw Moon when it came out,dead set awesome movie.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

Just remembered, you may be interested in this one too Tiga. It's called Moon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q

One of my favourite recent movies. Reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but a bit less WTF.
Yep, watched Moon also when it first came out and loved it. Sam Rockwell was outstanding.