Author Topic: Movies  (Read 63964 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Movies
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Hey Angus you actually have that much influence over your folks?.I reckon if I suggested this to my old man he would tell me to go forth and multiply :lol

Yeah that's how we roll over here

FWIW I decided against Gravity and they watched Rush and thought it was great

My brother and his wife also watched it the night before and gave it a high ranking

3 descent movies out it seems

Gravity
Prisoners
Rush

Dan, you forgot to add "Bad Grandpa."  ;D

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »
Crown tonight, lady and i watched Prisoners

Good cast, led superbly by Jackman and Gyllenhaal

Thriller type, Lots of twists Thought it went a tad too long but still enjoyed it.

Around a 7.5/10 for me.

By the way Gig saw the preview of Bad Grandpa before the flic and it looks like a ripper. Hopefully its not one of those previews that show the only funny bits in the whole film.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »
Around a 7.5/10 for me.

Thanks for the review Daniel but you can't score movies in half points on this thread. It will either have to be 7/10 (3.5 Bills) or 8/10 (4 Bills). You forgot to put the bills at the end of your review, c'mon mate do the right thing.

Gigantor

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »
Dear me this is a serious break of protocol....Angus you need to put up your Bills..lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
Hahaha

Sorry lads will do next time

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2013, 11:27:59 PM »
Captain Phillips

Really enjoyed this one

8/10. Reminds you how good an actor Hanks is

On the I  phone CBF finding  that  Collins bloke

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
To help poor angus out

His score was 8/10 which equals

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »
Captain Phillips

Really enjoyed this one

8/10. Reminds you how good an actor Hanks is
Pretty incredible too they pretty much just pulled the Somali actors off the street from the local Somali community in Minneapolis.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
I saw a pretty epic film on the weekend called "The Butler". Forest Whittaker plays a Whitehouse butler who is in service to seven or eight consecutive US President's from Eisenhower to Reagan. It's a snapshot of America through a pretty turbulent era - but then, aren't they all turbulent eras? By the way, does anybody have an e-mail address for David Stratton or Margaret Pomeranz?

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
Hello-oo! Is there anybody out there??

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »
Sorry Rolls,

Pommerz has an AVO out on me from when I vigorously took her to task after she gave "The English Patient" 5 stars.

Gigantor

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
Howdy folks
Was off to the classic last night and saw  Ben stillers new one'the secret life of walter mitty'.
Well to be honest I was quite impressed with it.Great story ,adventures to be had everywhere.
I was never a huge fan of ben stiller but he has finally won me over on this one.
To me a good gauge on a movie is how quickly time moves along and with this time absolutely flew.
the movie goes for 114 minutes .
I give this

Gigantor

« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
Over the holiday period I've had some free time and have watched several old westerns with the likes of the Duke,kirk douglas,burt Lancaster,clint eastwood etc
I know the western genre  is more or less dead and buried but theres something to be said for those old movies ,where good and evil was clear cut and where things like honour and fair play were paramount.I doubt if the reality in those days was exactly like that though..lol
One particular movie that I have enjoyed many times now is"The man who shot liberty valance" with john wayne  jimmy stewart and lee marvin...3 giants of the silver screen who were at their peak in this movie I reckon

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
Howdy folks
Was off to the classic last night and saw  Ben stillers new one'the secret life of walter mitty'.
Well to be honest I was quite impressed with it.Great story ,adventures to be had everywhere.
I was never a huge fan of ben stiller but he has finally won me over on this one.
To me a good gauge on a movie is how quickly time moves along and with this time absolutely flew.
the movie goes for 114 minutes .
I give this

I've heard it's a cracker Gig

Will get there as soon as I can offload the kids

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
By the way Gig saw the preview of Bad Grandpa before the flic and it looks like a ripper. Hopefully its not one of those pusreviews that show the only funny bits in the whole film.

Watched Bad Grandpa recently, the stunt work was moderate by Jackass standards, but once again Johnny Knoxville came up with a couple of rippers. The premise of the film, dressing up as a Grandpa and acting like an asswipe, seems quite juvenile, but there is nice comedic support in the form of scripted actors which provides some depth, and the inclusion of a very talented kid actor paid off in spades.
I thought the film blended the 'reality TV' with the scripted acting in one of the smoothest ways that I have seen. A harsher critic would say that it was a series of candid camera skits padded by a fairly lame script, and they might be right, but they might be Family First voters also.