Author Topic: Richmond moves on contracts of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes and Rance (Age)  (Read 3313 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond moves on contracts

Jake Niall
    The Age
    April 26, 2013

Richmond has signalled confidence in the future of Dustin Martin at the club by instigating contract talks aimed at securing Martin, skipper Trent Cotchin and Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt in coming weeks.

The Tigers hope to have that talented trio - regarded as three of their top four - signed over the next month, along with emerging defender Dylan Grimes and key back Alex Rance.

But contract talks with Martin are less advanced than those with Cotchin, whom the club has indicated it is willing to sign on a long-term deal, but who also has the option of signing a two-year deal that would make him a restricted free agent at the end of 2015.

The Tigers are facing pressure on their salary cap, which is already tight, due to having elite players coming out of contract this year and also the handicap of having very little extra space created by the veterans allowance.

The Tigers have only Chris Newman on the veterans list, which gives clubs an extra $112,000 per veteran. Geelong, which has several veterans with 10-plus years on its list, in effect can pay its playing list $500,000 or more than Richmond.

Richmond football operations general manager Daniel Richardson confirmed the Tigers had started discussions with the managements of those five players - Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes and Rance - and that the club hoped to have them tied up ''in the next month or so''.

He said the discussions about Martin were ''preliminary''.

But the mere fact the Tigers have spoken to Martin's manager, Ralph Carr, about a new contract confirms they are happy with the progress of Martin, whose future was the subject of much discussion over summer and whom the club had been concerned about.

Martin has been consistent in Richmond's four games to date - he was best afield against the Bulldogs and a good contributor in the other three games - with perhaps the only rider that he could improve his ability to run out games.

Cotchin is in his sixth year with the Tigers and would qualify as a restricted free agent if he signed a two-year deal. Regardless of the term, he is certain to become the club's highest-paid player, ahead of Brett Deledio, who signed a hefty five-year contract last year.

Deledio will be eligible for veteran status in 2015, after completing his 10th year, but the Tigers' relative youth and lack of long-term senior players has deprived them of that veterans list advantage enjoyed by the likes of Geelong, Sydney and West Coast.

Grimes, whose career has been interrupted by a succession of hamstring injuries, is highly regarded.

The Tigers also have their top draft pick from 2010, Reece Conca, and midfielder Daniel Jackson coming out of contract this year.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-moves-on-contracts-20130425-2ihje.html#ixzz2RV6N7x1t

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pardon the obvious question but how on earth can we even be close to our salary cap?
Our list, our win/loss record over the past 5 years, the lessons that should've been learnt from previous administrations?

Is our club living in chocolate land?

The next 3-5 years should be about us topping up our list with quality free agents - like the Hawks and the Pies who never seem to have these issues.

I actually cannot believe this is true - if it is then Craig Cameron's legacy takes on a whole different angle.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Pardon the obvious question but how on earth can we even be close to our salary cap?
Our list, our win/loss record over the past 5 years, the lessons that should've been learnt from previous administrations?

Is our club living in chocolate land?

The next 3-5 years should be about us topping up our list with quality free agents - like the Hawks and the Pies who never seem to have these issues.

I actually cannot believe this is true - if it is then Craig Cameron's legacy takes on a whole different angle.

Everyone club has to pay 92.5% of the cap
Doesnt need a lot to get close to 100%

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Would think quite easily now. Cotchin, Deledio, Martin & Reiwoldt would command massive $$$ on the open market so even if don't have to pay them market value we would still need to pay them big $$$

The Pies have never had these issues? You are kidding, it has been reported over the last couple of years when the likes of Cloke, Pendlebury and now Thomas coming out of contract that they have struggle to fit them all in and have a "tight cap". Why do you think they happily let Dawes go to Melb when he was contracted? It frees up space. Just because clubs don't lose players doesn't mean they there isn't pressure on their salary cap.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Maybe they are front loading Deledio's 5 year contract? Maybe they aren't near the full salary cap and this is rubbish  :rollin

Much better these days in how things are handled, I'm sure they'll sort it out  :clapping

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Wtf is this 2 year deal business for Cotchin so he can become a free agent?

Sign for 5, Trent.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Must sign them all and for a lengthy period, 5 years for each.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

Sign for 5, Trent.
Journalistic licence saying he "could" sign one if he wanted to. Not that there is one on the table or that he asked for one. Made it sound like it could happen though.  ::)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil

Sign for 5, Trent.
Journalistic licence saying he "could" sign one if he wanted to. Not that there is one on the table or that he asked for one. Made it sound like it could happen though.  ::)

It'll be a 5 year deal for sure. We didn't get Dan Richo for nothing.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

Niall has NFI how close to the cap we are  :shh

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Niall has NFI how close to the cap we are  :shh

I bet you he does. It's somewhere between 92.5 and 100%.  :shh

gerkin greg

bet he doesnt

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Must sign them all and for a lengthy period, 5 years for each.
Cotch-5
Martin-2
Jack-Do we have 6 mnth contracts?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
bet he doesnt

Just checked with my source and Jake Niall's calculations have us at 103.845% of the cap. So yes you win the bet.  :bow

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Would think quite easily now. Cotchin, Deledio, Martin & Reiwoldt would command massive $$$ on the open market so even if don't have to pay them market value we would still need to pay them big $$$

They all wouldn't be on massive $$$ yet would they (apart from Deledio)? I can understand now they all could ask for decent pay checks and will make it tight, but the article says that it is already tight. I can't imagine Cotchin, Martin and Riewoldt already being on massive money.