Author Topic: Tick tock!  (Read 2422 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tick tock!
« on: August 03, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
If Astbury comes out next year and plays his season average to date of 7 games a year and then goes down again with another long term injury, do we keep him on our list? Can we afford too?
When do you cut your loses with players with body/injury issues?
Knights is another one that questions need to be asked if he goes down again.
It's one thing for a club to have faith but if blokes aren't playing games and getting some experience and intern improving then is that holding back our club?
Me, I'm not a fan of Astbury even when he is playing but I'm even less of a fan when he is not.

Rampstar

Re: Tick tock!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »
I  think that we will bring in a player like Kristian Jaksch from GWS to be honest. We only have 1 bonafide KPD and that is Alex Rance. Astbury doesnt play alot, Grimes doesnt play alot and is average and Chaplin is Chaplin. We have a problem in defence with our lack of depth in the key positions.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
I  think that we will bring in a player like Kristian Jaksch from GWS to be honest. We only have 1 bonafide KPD and that is Alex Rance. Astbury doesnt play alot, Grimes doesnt play alot and is average and Chaplin is Chaplin. We have a problem in defence with our lack of depth in the key positions.
Grimes is another one. You can see by the way he has gone backwards that if you are injured and not playing you don't improve.
Young blokes that are playing in the twos that aren't quite there yet are are still learning and improving, consistent long term injured players are a liability.
If we could get Jaksch in we would be doing well. I'll take Shiel as well while you are at it.   :thumbsup

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »
Hardwick.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
IMO

Astbury is a huge upgrade on Chaplin

And makes life for rance and grimes better

I'd keep him as long as possible to see if his body can come good

Grimes played like 16 games and people were saying he was never going to play one more hes body was too poo.

Big blokes years. Look at Schultz. The delist Elton and Griffith brigade are mongs. Look at guys like mummy and cox I dot think they were world beaters when Elton/griff age. Gws has the best big blokes in the land, a troop of number one draft picks (Cameron would of gone one I assume) as good as they are still raw.

I could of held on too Derickx and Andrew Browne for a bit longer too.

Hampson is signicantl,y older than Astbury. We should be discussing his spot

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »
I'm not sure where Grimes fits in. He's body shape is ordinary for an AFL footballer
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
I'm not sure where Grimes fits in. He's body shape is ordinary for an AFL footballer

Grimes is bereft of confidence and his disposal has gone backwards. Furthermore doesn't move the ball on quick enough. At the moment he is just doing a job nothing more, nothing less. Punching it out from 30 metres inside the field of play when he could have marked last week against West Coast is proof of this. Sadly out of form.

Thought Astbury stood up very well early in the year whilst Rance was injured. Astbury at this stage is still a keeper IMHO.

Rampstar

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
I would however keep Astbury but I would seek to trade Dylan Grimes depending on what we could get in return.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
I think this has been Hardwicks major stragecic error not to use enough high draft picks on KPDs.  Only Griffiths and Batchelor have been high draft picks used in defense.   He inherited Rance, Chaplin was free agency, Grimes was rookie list. Morris was an older player.  Given neither Batch or Griffs have worked out great they need to bite the bullet and spend the high picks on KPP and over the years some have to become defenders. 

Hampson was a stuff up last year. Especially in the light that we knew neither of Griffs or Batch had cemented their place in the side Our backline is screaming out for a really good tall and a talented kick.  Maybe they thought Astbury was the future. So I cant be too critical I suppose but I would have built from the backline 5 years ago

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
I think this has been Hardwicks major stragecic error not to use enough high draft picks on KPDs.  Only Griffiths and Batchelor have been high draft picks used in defense.   He inherited Rance, Chaplin was free agency, Grimes was rookie list. Morris was an older player.  Given neither Batch or Griffs have worked out great they need to bite the bullet and spend the high picks on KPP and over the years some have to become defenders. 

Hampson was a stuff up last year. Especially in the light that we knew neither of Griffs or Batch had cemented their place in the side Our backline is screaming out for a really good tall and a talented kick.  Maybe they thought Astbury was the future. So I cant be too critical I suppose but I would have built from the backline 5 years ago
Go out and spend some money on Frawley and we have a free hit at a quality, hard nosed backman. He is there, all we need to do is reach out and grab him.
Make him an offer to good to refuse. Sell the club to him. Sell him on the things we are doing this off season. Start with getting Jaksch and Shiel. Sell him on what we intend to do. It's amazing what people will buy into when the right person is selling it.
I truely believe we are two or maybe three quality players in the right position away from being a very good side. As well as some continued improvement and some luck.
Things can turn pretty quick if you have a decent crack. It will get some noses out of joint but it's what needs to happen.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
so how much would you offer Frawley big tone?

Are you suggesting paying him overs?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
so how much would you offer Frawley big tone?

Are you suggesting paying him overs?
And how will that affect the rest of the playing group that has been told to earn less for sustained success?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
IMO

Astbury is a huge upgrade on Chaplin

based on what exactly.
the simple fact is astbury has got nowhere near chaplins performance level on any sort of consistent basis or on any sort of consistent level.

personally i would like a rutten/lake/glass/ mcpharlin  type at f/b. blokes who can be totally relied upon to shut out the bigger key fwds. id love an eric mckenzie type at chb  and id play alex rance as our third tall. add to that  i am really hoping kamdyn mcintosh can play of h/b as a tall running defender.

so what im aiming for down back is something like this.
b/ morris when fully fit. - rutten - rance
hb/ mcintosh - mckenzie - vlastuin
remember im talking type and in a way where we need to get to.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »
Pace mobility and skills by foot

Astbury > Chaplin. I am concerned the team is slowish and Chaplin is especially loping and static

The simple fact is Astbury was leading the best and fairest

Ideally vlastuin should be playing in the middle

You are a bit delusional putting Mckenzie and rutten in your back six with rance in a pocket