Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232071 times)

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »
well, jack dyer played ruck at 185cm
nat fythe non ruck midfielder 190cm.

but that doesnt fit with preconceptions so just ignore it and hope it goes away, hey?
Dusty is the same playing height/weight as Royce Hart. shows how the game has progressed as Dusty is a Mid & considered too small for CHF, even tho he can hold his own in that position

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »
Not gunna bag the kid good luck to him.
I"m just disappointed we did not take the best available imo,  or  address some serious, greater  needs.Both Burton and Collins  were available and people know how much i have gone on about our talls over the years.

I suppose the flip side is we have finally made a heavy investment on a sml fwd.
needed a sml fwd - check
needed speed - check
needed a tall defender - check
need another ruck - hopefully we rookie one
i'd say we have drafted for need....

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
Has great raw talent, the traits that should see him succeed ,  I expect we ll be a bit more patient with him than bling, minimum half year at vfl at least. Needs to add some size and build some confidence playing against men
If a small forward was indeed what we wanted, he s great pick. Prob at a similar stage to Eddie betts when he was drafted
Wasn't Bett's taken as a rookie pick?

Anyway, at least the Rioli name is back where it belongs - in yellow and black!
I think betts was yes, the thing I like about rioli is that he can pounce on a loose ball like a seagull on a hot chip. He has plenty of time as we have some experienced players that will be knocking on the door come  r1. I'm happy enough to see him spend plenty of time at vfl next year

yep fair call, when he's ready for seniors he'll get picked.
agree, when ready he will pick himself

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
Rubbish
Please elaborate.
Please don't.

talented youngsters dont get a game at richmond when they are ready but rather once they rub out enough for the coach
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2015, 02:39:20 AM »
Next Rioli to do things his own way

AAP/ Australian
November 26, 2015

There’s only one Daniel Rioli in the AFL. While the new Richmond recruit cherishes his family’s rich football heritage, he is determined to make his own path.

Rioli’s late grandfather Maurice was a Richmond great — their social club is named after him — and his uncle Cyril was awarded the Norm Smith Medal after Hawthorn won this year’s grand final. Then there’s relative Michael Long and his fellow former Essendon player Dean Rioli.

Daniel is a speedy small forward with sublime skills, just like Cyril, and there was pre-draft speculation of a future at the Hawks.

“It’s very special coming to Richmond and having my grandfather play there,” Daniel said yesterday. “People try to compare me to my uncle — I’m a similar type of player — but I say to myself, ‘I’m Daniel, I will play my own role and my own style’.

“To see Cyril get up there and Maurice, Dean, Michael Long — it’s pretty special. Now me. I’m pretty happy with that. It’s hard work but I’m looking forward to the journey.”

When Daniel moved from the Northern Territory to St Patrick’s College in Ballarat, family support was crucial. “I went to over to his (Cyril’s) place a bit when I was down there — it was good to have family close by,” he said.

The Tigers took Rioli with pick No 15 after testing the new live bidding system.

“He brings an X-factor to our forward line, he’s quick, he’s dynamic and he kicks goals,” coach Damien Hardwick said.

“He can see things that a lot of other players can’t, and that’s what makes him special, in a way.

“He just does some things that you look at and go ‘wow’ — you can’t teach.”

It is full of meaning for the ­Tigers, given Maurice Rioli made a huge impression at Richmond in the 1980s.

“We fully believe Daniel will make his own name at our footy club,” Hardwick said.

“He has a famous uncle, there’s no doubt about that, and we named our social club after him.

“He’ll walk into that and be in awe, obviously, but we feel he’s going to be a wonderful player.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/next-rioli-determined-to-do-things-his-way/story-fnca0u4y-1227623025532?sv=c235aabf3675184631f023bab790e215

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2015, 02:56:25 AM »
Interviews:

Post-draft: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-11-24/draft-2015-meet-daniel-rioli

SEN: https://audioboom.com/boos/3851007-new-tigers-recruit-daniel-rioli-chats-to-morning-glory

* Pretty stoked to get my name called out.  I just can’t wait to get stuck into it.

* Leading up to it, I tried to keep it in the back of my head, just thinking I was coming here to the draft function to have a good time with family and enjoy the night.  Try not to think about it too much. Everything panned out real well on the night. Mum and dad came along for it.  They’re really proud. They can’t wait as well to see me there.

* I wasn’t too sure where I’d end up. Dad was on the internet looking up stuff.  He was telling me I might end up at Richmond, so I thought to myself I might have a chance here at pick 15.

* Going through Year 11 and 12, I started to think I should I take my footy a bit serious, knowing that it was my last couple of years at school in Victoria. So, I tried out with the Ballarat Rebels and got into the side and it all started from there. Then I played serious footy and under-18 National Championships as well with the Northern Territory, which I found really good. I played real well in the Championships, real consistent, and then got an invite to the National Combine. Leading up to that, I did a lot of training. Got myself real fit for that and everything panned out from then.

* Describing his game? Run and carry and just break the game open, kick some goals, tackle and apply forward pressure.

* I just try and put that aside and play my own brand of footy and be myself, really,” he said. Seeing his (Maurice's) highlights and him representing the Tiwi Islands and playing for Richmond is something special. I can’t wait to carry that name on with the Tigers.

* It’s a dream come true to live an AFL life.  Can’t wait to get there, meet all the boys and get stuck into it. Hopefully put on a show in 2016.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-11-25/daniel-in-the-tigers-den

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
If there's an emphasis on Daniel "making his own name at our footy club" then we can forget about him getting the #17 jumper.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
Very happy with this selection. I hope his new team mates are switched on and keep up with his footy mind. Young Rioli looks to be a jet!

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
Very happy with this selection. I hope his new team mates are switched on and keep up with his footy mind. Young Rioli looks to be a jet!

if we stop selecting the list blockers i dont see why they would not

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »

if we stop selecting the list blockers i dont see why they would not

And we get the ball into the forward line in a hurry so he can either run on to it or crumb it.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Daniel Rioli to wear number 17 at Richmond, the same number great uncle Maurice wore at the Tigers

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun

RICHMOND will continue the tradition, handing exciting draftee Daniel Rioli his great uncle Maurice’s no. 17 jumper.

That famous jumper number is the most revered in Richmond’s history, worn by Jack “Captain Blood” Dyer over 19 seasons as well as premiership star Barry Richardson.

Wayne Campbell, Kane Johnson and Chris Newman all inherited that number as part of Richmond captaincy tradition until Trent Cotchin kept his no. 9 when chosen to lead the Tigers in 2013.

Cousin Cyril Rioli won this year’s Norm Smith Medal on grand final day 23 years after Rioli’s feat on the AFL’s biggest stage.

And Daniel’s brilliant performance in a grand final curtain-raiser for an Allies side this year proved he was more than a one-trick pony.

His 19 possessions and a goal showed Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson he had the tank to emerge as a midfield threat after a TAC Cup season as a small forward.

Weeks later he franked it at the AFL draft camp with a blistering 2.89 seconds in the 20m sprint as well as finishing seventh in the 3km time trial (10.09 mins).

Maurice Rioli is Daniel’s great uncle, but he calls him his grandfather in a footy family blessed with freakish skills.

“We were really close. I didn’t expect it really. The club mentioned it so I had to speak to mum and dad about it and we went through it all but I am pretty happy,’’ Daniel Rioli said.

“Hopefully it all goes well. I got told about (Jack Dyer). I didn’t know too much about Jack but I have heard about him since then so just to have that number, I can’t wait to wear it.

“(Maurice) passed away Christmas 2010 and I was really close with him and his family.

“It was good to see his highlights as well. He did some special things — I saw him on Youtube and the internet and even Fox Footy as well. They showed a lot of Footy Flashbacks.”

Coach Damien Hardwick feels like all is right when the Tigers have a Rioli around Punt Rd.

“It is great. It’s always good to get the Rioli name back in. Especially when he goes up to the social club that is named after his grandfather,’’ he said.

“It is very exciting for the kid. It is a great Richmond name and we are very pleased to have a relative of Maurice at our footy club.”

Rioli left the Tiwi Islands at 14 to play at Ballarat’s St Patrick’s College, impressing recruiters with his resilience by staying the course where others returned home.

He believes he can turn into a midfielder but Richmond believes his finishing around goal can see him making an impact as early as next year.

That MCG contest in October has already proved he can be a big-game player.

“It was pretty awesome, playing on the MCG on Grand Final day. It was the first time I had ever played on the MCG and it was the best game I have played,’’ he said.

“In the TAC Cup I played as a small forward but I didn’t get up the ground much. I wasn’t really alive.

“I got up onto the wing and midfield and I see myself playing midfield but also kicking goals.

“I was happy with my performance and it was on Grand Final day and we got the win. To top things off I watched the Hawks play and my uncle got a Norm Smith.”

Richmond draftee Oleg Markov, son of pole vault world champion Dmitri Markov, was handed the no. 31 jumper.

Nathan Broad, the 22-year-old defender from Swan Districts who could play AFL next year, will wear no. 35.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=HSWEB_MRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/daniel-rioli-to-wear-number-17-at-richmond-the-same-number-great-uncle-maurice-wore-at-the-tigers/news-story/63b3252d8e962b8f8b7f2d52128eca55&memtype=anonymous
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »
So the club changes the rules again

During Dimma's time all newbies have had to wear high numbers and earn the right to a low number

But now we suddenly make an exception

Good luck to the kid

But gee we flip flop a lot
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
No extra pressure on the kid there.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 09:34:10 PM »
It is great. It’s always good to get the Rioli name back in. Especially when he goes up to the social club that is named after his grandfather,’’ he said.

Spoken like a coach with vision.
A true tactician and motivator.
Go Tiges - you've got it all now!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
A pick 12 should make it regardless of his name

Doesn't matter if he wears 17 or 77

No added pressure, IMO

U sad sacks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:17:23 PM by Stalin »