Author Topic: Tigers second tier must step up ... (West Australian)  (Read 680 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers second tier must step up ... (West Australian)
« on: May 20, 2016, 06:11:39 AM »
Tigers second tier must step up

Shayne Hope, Melbourne
The West Australian
May 20, 2016

If Richmond are to stage another stunning form reversal and mount a bid for a fourth successive finals campaign, their second-tier players will need to step up and have greater impact across the board.

The Tigers are walking a little taller after snapping a six-game losing streak with a stirring win over Sydney last Saturday night and now have a chance to climb the ladder.

They play Fremantle at Domain Stadium tomorrow night followed by games against Essendon, Gold Coast and Brisbane in four of the next five rounds. Richmond also take on ladder leaders North Melbourne in the middle of that stretch of fixtures.

Midfielder Brandon Ellis said it was up to himself, Anthony Miles and Nick Vlastuin to support A-graders Brett Deledio, Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin if the Tigers were to challenge for a finals place.

“We know that Lids, Rancey, Jack and Cotchy are going to play well every week, that’s why they’re such good players,” Ellis said. “Having our second-tier players step up is what’s really going to drive this club forward.”

Ellis, who pinned Sydney’s Jack Hiscox in a crucial goal-saving tackle in the final two minutes last week, said Richmond’s belief had never wavered during the barren run.

“It feels good to be able to win again and it definitely does give you a lot of confidence,” he said.

“You walk in Monday with your chest in, head up and a big smile on your face. We always believe. We’ve put ourselves in this position the last three years and we’ve come out of it.”

Ellis predicted a tough test in Perth despite Fremantle’s 0-8 start to the season.

“They’ll be really wanting to get their first win this weekend, so we know we’re going to be in for a tough battle,” he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31653405/tigers-second-tier-must-step-up/

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers second tier must step up ... (West Australian)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:09 AM »
He's talking like they've turned it around.
I saw a meme during the week with the following caption below a photo of the players celebrating the win last Saturday night.
"Celebrating like they've won the flag when they've gone to 2 & 6"
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”