Author Topic: Rory reflects (The Age)  (Read 1312 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rory reflects (The Age)
« on: December 17, 2005, 04:58:21 AM »
End of career, but it's a relief for Tiger
The Age
December 17, 2005

Rory Hilton is building a life for himself after an injury-plagued journey through the AFL, writes Rohan Connolly.

THE AFL yearbook didn't mince words about the prospects of the 17-year-old junior prodigy taken at No. 3 by Brisbane in the 1996 national draft.

"Exciting newcomer from the Murray Bushrangers. Rated by some well-respected judges as the best talent in the draft," was the glowing reference. That was Rory Hilton's AFL birth notice. And now, at just 26, this is his epitaph.

At senior level, anyway. Hilton will be playing football in 2006, but it will be about an hour-and-a-half's drive north of Melbourne in Euroa, where he grew up and where several of his closest mates still play. And, after nine seasons of continual struggle against injury and thwarted ambition, it's a blessed relief.

"I was a bit reluctant to play (in Euroa) because of all the injuries I've had," he says, "but in the end it was just the chance to play with my mates. I've been frustrated by my experiences and I actually want to enjoy it, basically just hanging with my mates and relaxing a bit."

Hilton had begun to mentally check out of the AFL football world some time before Richmond coach Terry Wallace gave him the "don't come Monday" talk a couple of days after the Tigers' final home-and-away game. By then, it was hardly a shattering blow.

"To tell you the truth — and this is not sour grapes by any means — I'm sort of glad it's finished. My footy career always promised a lot and delivered little." It's a remarkably blunt self-assessment and, sadly, probably spot on. But Hilton has more on his mind these days than football.

"I got married early October, but I was already chasing down employment with about a month of the season to go," he says. "I was able to get a verbal agreement from my now employer (Hilton is a property valuer with Landlink), so football became even less important." Hilton is also finishing off a degree in property by correspondence.

"I reckon what I'm doing now with my work and what I'm setting up for the future is going to be in the long term beneficial," he says. "You can get caught up in the whole AFL scene and forget some of your friends. I don't think I ever did, but I know I lost lots of opportunities to go to friends' weddings and things like that because of football. I suppose now I've got time to make it up."

The legacy the one-time "best pick in the draft" leaves AFL football is nearly a decade's toil for 91 games — and, of course, a list of injuries to fill chapters.

They began even before he was drafted by the newly merged Brisbane Lions, Hilton selected despite having had a knee reconstruction playing in the under-18 competition. The season before that he'd had a ball kicked at full force into his eye, for a brief period endangering his vision. Injury became a way of footballing life.

"I had eight or nine operations, two knee reconstructions and a shoulder reconstruction," he says. "I played half the games I should have, and the other half I was always injured, so for me it was always a battle, mentally and physically.

"The reason my career ended earlier than what I planned was purely because of injury, and I really I believe that, because I think I lost the ability to perform the things I could do as a junior because of the impact injuries had on my body. I did one pre-season out of nine and didn't even get close to that in the others. It's been a frustrating career that, in one way, I'm glad is over."

Hilton still grimaces when recalling his shoulder operation. "I missed the rest of that year, but I don't think I recovered for another 12 months after that," he says. "I had a bit of nerve damage, too, and I could hardly move at all for about three months.

"I've just been unfortunate at the end of the day. Footy's good while you can do it, but like everything, it doesn't last forever. I knew that, and I knew that going into it having had a knee reconstruction as a 17-year-old, I was probably always going to struggle with injury. That's the way it turned out, and I've just got to move on."

Hilton believes his AFL experience has hardened him both as a player and as a person. He was far from the only "disappointment" of the 1996 national draft; fellow top-10 picks from that year Mark Kinnear, Daniel McAlister, Leigh Brockman and Mark Harwood were all far less successful at the highest level than he. But Hilton certainly wore his share of flak during his time with the Tigers, most memorably in 2000 when Age columnist Robert Walls brandished a very big stick, accusing Hilton of wanting to be physical only on his terms and when opponents weren't looking.

"I certainly got used to it with the stigma of being injured all the time, then obviously what Robert Walls wrote," Hilton says. "You can't control it. I suppose I got a bit upset, but you've just got to keep telling yourself that's just how they see it, and no matter what you say you can't beat them, because they can always have the last say."

Not any more. The former prodigy is back home. And with enough time left to recapture what for so long has eluded him. After Hilton's rocky AFL path, simply finding enjoyment playing football again with a group of close mates will be an achievement in itself.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2005/12/16/1134703611933.html

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rory reflects (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 05:11:04 AM »
No doubt he had talent, but injuries ruined him!

His shoulder reconstruction was what really killed his career IMO, up until then he was still threatening to "break out"!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
Remember that Rory was dropped for that game against the Dees but was late inclusion when someone (I can't remember who it was) pulled out just before the start of the game. While he promised with potential, Hilton had really just one good year in 2001 out of nine and that's why he was delisted. Tivs is in a similar boat with only 2 good years (2001, 03) out of seven.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »
It's reassuring to hear that he is being honest with himself. He will be ok.

Moi

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »
I liked Rory.  Sure he wasn't a great footballer, but whether he could have been we will never know.
He didn't have much luck, but i liked the way he put his body on the line on occasion, sometimes injuring himself in the process.
Now, if we can only get more of them to do that (put their body on the line - not getting injured) the better we'll be.  Not sure what Walls was going on about there, but who listens to him anyway  ::)
Good luck, Rory

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:48 PM »
I agree Moi ! ;)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 09:41:46 PM »
I've got a feeling that something like this is going to happen Beau Muston at the hawks, has already had a knee reco and arthroscopy, his future looks cloudy and i'm a big fan of his ability  :'(

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 11:08:39 PM »
They had 5 picks in the top 22 so they had plenty of room to take a gamble, but nearly all of their picks are gambles!

Ellis - Is he the next Fiora? Too outside? Can he put on weight?
Dowler - Injury!
Birchall - Too outside? Is his junior form overrated?
Bailey - Project player, can he bulk up? Was his junior form even that good?
Muston - Injury!

They didn't exactly go safe here, but surely atleast 2-3 of these guys will go on with it!

Seriously if there was an AFL game where you could be GM, you'd play Hawthorn, sooooooooo much potential in their team!

Their spine is looking good in 5 years time:

???
Roughead/Birchall
Lewis
Franklin
Dowler
Bailey (Ruck)

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 01:07:41 AM »
They had 5 picks in the top 22 so they had plenty of room to take a gamble, but nearly all of their picks are gambles!

Ellis - Is he the next Fiora? Too outside? Can he put on weight?
Dowler - Injury!
Birchall - Too outside? Is his junior form overrated?
Bailey - Project player, can he bulk up? Was his junior form even that good?
Muston - Injury!

They didn't exactly go safe here, but surely atleast 2-3 of these guys will go on with it!

Seriously if there was an AFL game where you could be GM, you'd play Hawthorn, sooooooooo much potential in their team!

Their spine is looking good in 5 years time:

???
Roughead/Birchall
Lewis
Franklin
Dowler
Bailey (Ruck)

Hawks may have taken the 'Saint Kilda' path but they have a very bright future.

Ellis - Dal Santo/Luke Power MK.2
Dowler - Best KPP in draft
Birchall - Gun verisitle type
Bailey - Best ruckman going around
Muston - Potentially the best player in the draft.

You may be right, i may be right. In reailty it'll be somewhere inbetween.

Either way Hawks have a great list of kids and will spend a few more years down the bottom as there current best 22 is pretty crap compared to other sides.

3/4/5+ years time will be a good time to be a Hawthorn fan.

:P

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 02:13:11 AM »
St Kilda would have won the premiership this year if it wasn't for injuries and the fact that they have the worst coach in the AFL!