Author Topic: Gaspar good to go (afl site)  (Read 701 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gaspar good to go (afl site)
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:40:54 PM »
Gaspar good to go
3:32:04 PM Tue 20 December, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

With the benefit of a full pre-season under his belt, Darren Gaspar returned to form in a big way in 2005 and Tigers fans will be happy to know the star defender is training the house down early in this pre-season campaign.

Gaspar knows only too well the negative effect a shortened pre-season has on a footballer's performance after a limited preparation ruined his form and confidence in 2004, but he's positive those days are well behind him.

"It's going well - I haven't had any injuries which has been good - training's been reasonably solid, so it's just a matter of trying to complete all the sessions and it's been successful in that I've been able to do that so far," Gaspar says of his preparations for 2006.

"I didn't have any off-season surgery this year which makes it a lot easier because when you start training you can be fit and ready to go right from the start.

"In 2004 I had a lot of injuries and that had an effect on how I could play, but last year I was relatively injury free and hopefully I can remain that way going forward - I can't see any reason why I wouldn't."

The dual All-Australian admits the constant struggle to regain peak fitness took its toll, but says he has been rejuvenated by the arrival of Terry Wallace and heartened by the progress the Tiges made in the first year of his reign.

"We really took some big strides this year - we came from a long way back and I think Terry made a huge difference to not only the way we play, but also to the individuals that were in the side," he says.

"He brought in a whole new, fresh way of doing things - it was exciting and I think we've been playing exciting footy.

"I felt pretty good most of the year - I ended up finishing fourth in the best and fairest - so I think that was a pretty good result. I missed a couple of games during the year through injury, but I overall I was happy with my performance."

Gaspar turns 30 early next year and while he may be approaching the twilight of his career, his thoughts are a long way from retirement. So how much longer does he see himself playing?

"I'm not sure - I feel pretty good at the moment - the year just gone I got through as good as I ever have and this pre-season I feel really good," he says.

"It's a hard one to answer - you never know what's around the corner in terms of injuries and what not, but at the moment I feel good. As long as I remain fit and healthy and keep my speed - I think that's the most important thing - I'll keep going for as long as I enjoy it. At the moment I'm really enjoying it."

Gaspar is excited at how the team is placed for the 2006 season and is confident the defensive unit can become a dominant force.

"I think we were a pretty exciting team this year, we were unfortunate to miss out on the finals and I think we're in a good position to take the next step," he enthuses.

"It's coming together quite well. We obviously need someone like Jay Schulz to stand up and fill a hole - we need young blokes coming in. Will Thursfield was an exciting development toward the end of the season and he really showed a bit I thought.

"We picked up Jeremy Humm as well and he could possibly come into the backline as the season progresses, so we've got more options down back which puts us in a good position."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=241241

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Gaspar good to go (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:33:16 PM »
Gas is a top bloke, hope Thursfield (IMO our next FB) can follow in his steps  :thumbsup