Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 173916 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #1020 on: January 08, 2023, 09:20:13 AM »
For balance Craw, why don’t we add in what we traded for get pick 29 that was used to recruit Shai …. Tyrone Vickery. :lol
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1021 on: January 08, 2023, 04:13:25 PM »
For balance Craw, why don’t we add in what we traded for get pick 29 that was used to recruit Shai …. Tyrone Vickery. :lol

When you put it like that...

'shut up and take my money'

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1022 on: January 13, 2023, 01:27:36 PM »
5. Shai Bolton (Richmond)

“He’s a guy who doesn’t have to have 30 or 35 disposals to absolutely torch an opposition. He can have 15, and he might even kick two goals but he’ll take a hanger, a couple of big tackles and give a few (goals) off,” Cooney began.

“He can kick 2.3 and be the best player on the ground from 15 disposals. He is electric and I love what he’s doing with his career.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/12/brownlow-medallist-predicts-the-five-best-afl-players-by-the-end-of-2023/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1023 on: January 20, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »
BOLTON TURNED DOWN “A LOT” OF INTEREST FROM RIVALS IN SIGNING LONG-TERM WITH TIGERS

By Seb Mottram
SEN
20 January 2023

Shai Bolton chose to re-sign with Richmond on a long-term contract despite interest from plenty of clubs, his manager has revealed.

While it’s not surprising that rival clubs are interested in signing one of the best players of 2022, the fact Bolton signed a year before coming out of contract for a further five years in the face of rival interest is a strong reflection of where the 24-year-old sees the club.

A dual-premiership player already, Bolton enjoyed a career-best year in 2022, kicking 43.41 on his way to maiden All-Australian honours.

Bolton, who was previously with Ralph Carr but is now represented by Anthony Van Der Wielen, is now in good shape to be a Tiger for life.

“There’s a lot of interest from around the league, not just based here in Perth,” Van Der Wielen told SEN WA’s The Run Home of the West Australian.

“It’s essentially a six-year deal, Shai still has 12 months to run, he’s still got 2023, so this is five years on top of the year he’s got and it should near on make him a Tiger for life.

“Richmond has been a very good club to Shai, obviously he’s played in a couple of premierships there and he’s very comfortable living in Melbourne and being a one-club player… this should mean Shai can play maybe 300 games for a great club like Richmond already with a couple of premierships and hopefully for him one or two more to come.

“They were really fair with the contract they put forward to us and Shai didn’t really want to go anywhere else.”

Bolton has only played 90 games since debuting in 2017 and will be turning 29 when he comes out of contract at Richmond.

Drafted out of South Fremantle, Bolton rejected interest from back home and around the league and has no doubt cemented his position as one of the league’s most valuable players.

“It’s fair to say there was some interest from a lot of different clubs… 2022 was a big breakout season for him and hopefully this just puts things away for him and his family and can set them up over the coming years and he plays out at Richmond and finishes off a great career as a one-club player,” Van Der Wielen added.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/20/bolton-turned-down-a-lot-of-interest-from-rivals-in-signing-long-term-with/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1024 on: February 07, 2023, 07:18:19 PM »
Adam Cooney’s top seven match-winners

1 – Jeremy Cameron (Geelong)

2 – Charlie Curnow (Carlton)

3 – Tom Hawkins (Geelong)

4 – Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)

5 – Christian Petracca (Melbourne)

6 – Shai Bolton (Richmond)

“At number six and could go to a new level in 2023 is Shai Bolton.

“He is a star of the game and verging on the top 10 overall in the AFL.

“He’ll crack it this year, he can win games off his own boot.”

7 – Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/06/brownlow-medallist-names-his-top-7-afl-matchwinners/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1025 on: February 07, 2023, 07:31:24 PM »
Reckon Lynch should be there after his 2022 form.

De Goey based on his 2018 form? I don't rate him in the top 10

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1026 on: March 11, 2023, 06:06:39 PM »
BRYCE GIBBS NAMES THE SIX BEST KICKS IN THE AFL

By Jack Makeham
SEN
11 March 2023

Shai Bolton - Richmond

“His creativity, especially forward of entre in terms of hitting up leads, providing goal assists and obviously hitting the scoreboard himself.

“We’ve seen when he’s come into the midfield as a small mid, his burst out of stoppage and ability to hit up forwards is pretty impressive.

“He’s a wizard.”

-----

The other 5:

Mitch Duncan - Geelong
Caleb Daniel - Bulldogs
Jack Lukosius - Gold Coast
Steele Sidebottom - Collingwood
Daniel Rich - Brisbane

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/11/bryce-gibbs-names-the-six-best-kicks-in-the-afl/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1027 on: March 13, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »
Andrew Krakouer believes Richmond's acquisition of hard nuts Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper from Greater Western Sydney and the return to full fitness of Dustin Martin will have a similar effect on Bolton.

"Shai's more of an outside player and when he has time and space, that's when he does the most damage," he said.

"Last year was a huge year for him, just to be able to up the ante with what he can do in the midfield, not just as a small forward. His brilliance, his explosiveness ... it'll be exciting for him to link up with Hopper and Taranto, and Dusty Martin is going to be fresh and ready to go. Their midfield is a very strong group."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/881412/why-dynamic-tiger-damaging-pie-are-set-to-explode-in-2023

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1028 on: March 13, 2023, 08:30:47 PM »
Carolyne Wilson said on her real footy podcast that Shai (she pronounced it wrong also) didn't have the year he would have liked.

Do some research you half wit.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1029 on: March 14, 2023, 04:54:13 PM »

We didn't trade Vickery he was a restricted free agent and just didn't match the Hawthorn offer. The compensation we got was from the Afl
Lucky for us they deemed Vickery worth a second rounder which panned out to be pick 29.

I have a question here for every one to ask themselves. Its just a bit of fun but shows how things with a few sliding door moments could work out wrong.

We traded a lot of picks in 2016 to get Prestia Nankervis and Caddy. Im being honest when i say I was against getting Prestia and felt we needed to continue to go to the draft after the abysmal 2016 season, while acknowledging he was the exact type we needed and should always go after if we are to expend high picks on players in trades.. A proven quality player who was not too old at 24. It was  Sort of a foot in both camps for me., really happy we targeted a player of his quality but felt we needed to go to the draft and look more long term..Im glad we did what we did it was probably the biggest reason why we went on to win a flag from nowhere in 2017.

Simply put Nank was a player we needed badly a competetive big ruck who would always give a contest. Caddy well to this day i was against getting him and despite him playing in g/f's i stand by that.

Okay all that dribble aside
Knowing what we know now, Going back to 2016 the question is.  having traded pick 7 to get Dion would you have taken the chance on Bolton still being there at 29. Dion also cost us a 2017 2nd round selection which became Tim Kelly i might throw in. Its just a bit of fun with a few sliding door moments and shows how lucky we were to get Bolton where we did..

Are you asking if we'd have used 7 on Bolton?

No obviously im asking would you have traded out of the second round giving up pick 26.
That is what we did in getting Caddy. Lucky for us Hawthorn thought they could turn spud it up Vickery around and the AFL  had a system that was a lottery when it came to what compensation clubs would get.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1030 on: March 14, 2023, 05:27:03 PM »
Carolyne Wilson said on her real footy podcast that Shai (she pronounced it wrong also) didn't have the year he would have liked.

Do some research you half wit.

I agree with her in part. I thought his last month was average and his final against Bris poor.... it would disappointing if Shai wasn't disappointed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1031 on: March 17, 2023, 02:50:16 AM »
Hardwick post-game said we leave it to the player how he kicks for goal, however, Shai needs to get better at it. Dimma believes Bolts rushed it and that he needed to take a moment and collect his breath. Dimma said his generation would kick a drop punt in that situation but we won't impose a rule to force our players to kick drop punts. It's up to the player to execute. 

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1032 on: March 17, 2023, 09:08:04 AM »
I just hope we aren’t seeing him at his best already.
He seemingly has the potential to tear the competition apart but looks like he can only do it sporadically
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1033 on: March 17, 2023, 10:27:09 AM »
Has X factor like no other player I have seen since Shedda, lets hope he settles into a player like Shedda did (odd worm burner aside)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1034 on: March 17, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »
Needs to cut out the indiscipline. That 50 he gave away because he was pretending to not know who to give the ball to directly resulted in a carlton goal.

Otherwise I don’t have a problem with him going for the snap for that set shot. At the end of the day he just has to kick those. Whatever way he feels most comfortable doing it he should. I wouldn’t have felt any better about it if he kicked it as a drop punt.