Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 916524 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1590 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »
oneeyed - In that pic of Cousins weaving through traffic, is that actually Cotchin he's up against in the #9?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1591 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »
oneeyed - In that pic of Cousins weaving through traffic, is that actually Cotchin he's up against in the #9?

Me and the wife were thinking the exact same thing when we saw it Inf.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1592 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:21 AM »
#9 yesterday was Nahas.
#2 was Morton.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1593 on: February 04, 2009, 02:13:30 AM »
Brilliant report & pics as usual MT & thanks cyclops for putting them up.

Quick update on Dan Connors..is he back in the group yet?

Also how is Shane Edwards progressing? He looks to be putting on a little size albeit slowly.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1594 on: February 04, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »
Great stuff as usual MT.  Was Cuz getting heaps of it in the match simulation drill?  Did he stand out with his skills or were there others at his level?
TT, Cuz got his fair share of the footy without dominating. They were all required to be attackers and defenders/minders (wearing blue singlets) at the stoppages so it wasn't technically a unrestricted short scratch match as such. Tomorrow will be when they are let free. As for Cuz's skills - spot on. Seriously his field kicking skills would put him clearly up near the top of our list so he does stand out in that regard apart from the obvious curiousity factor because he's a Tiger newbie. His goalkicking makes him look mortal though - he does miss now and then like everyone else. When Cuz finally gets his match fitness back up to 100% we won't be worrying about him hitting targets  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1595 on: February 04, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
Brilliant report & pics as usual MT & thanks cyclops for putting them up.

Quick update on Dan Connors..is he back in the group yet?

Also how is Shane Edwards progressing? He looks to be putting on a little size albeit slowly.
Connors - apparently he hurt his ankle again on Monday but he trained fully yesterday albeit with a slight limp.

Edwards - agree he does look like he has added some size across the shoulders although he is still slight. With Shane I feel he is one of those players you need to see in actual games before you can judge if he has improved. We know he is a good athlete as endurance was one of main reasons why he was drafted. It's whether in his 3rd year he is learning to be smarter using it to his advantage getting to contest after contest rather than just running around wasting energy.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1596 on: February 04, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »
Well done OE, just one thing though, since Gogs has been coming back everyone has says how much body mass he has lost. Well I really didn't think he had, I actually thought the boys around him had just bulked up. Now have a look at that picture with Richo leading them off the ground for drinks. Cogs is behind tuck and his biceps are just as big as they have always been. IMO.
Cogs is looking in good shape. Hopefully tomorrow and against Freo he shows he does have power back into his legs that Wallace believes Cogs has regained :pray.

You'll also notice from those photos that Joel is part of the forwards group now although he did play as a defender as well in the match simulation. Richo of course is now a midfielder  :thumbsup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1597 on: February 04, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »
Good on you MT great fedback.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1598 on: February 04, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
Thanks again MT. :thumbsup

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1599 on: February 05, 2009, 08:16:59 AM »
How's Simmo travelling?  I've heard he's still got a bit of a niggle with his knee.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1600 on: February 05, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
How's Simmo travelling?  I've heard he's still got a bit of a niggle with his knee.
Yep Julz he's worn a support bandage around his knee for a while now but he still trains fully (doing as much as the other rucks do). We do though need Gus to step up this year  :pray just to avoid an overreliance on Simmo.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1601 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »

At one stage today Simmo ran to position so swiftly I had to look twice to make sure it was him!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1602 on: February 11, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
Training was at a coolish Vic Park today with even the occasional light rain falling (rain what's that  :o). The squad was late arriving and didn't get onto the track until around 10.30pm so a few of us displayed our esquisite footy skills prior to the start of training to show how it's done  :lol. They finished up just after midday.

In rehab was Petts who did a fair bit of running, Sugar, and of course Cotch although once again apart from some reflex handball with a trainer he mainly watched training before leaving. A supporter asked Trent when he'll be back and he said maybe round 1. Cogs was around the place in casuals.

As for training itself, apart from the usual light kicking and handballing stuff, the first main drill they worked on was some match simulation from stoppages and rebounding out of defence and then moving the ball up to the forwards. They had a rotation of 'teams' going so it was like watching two games inside each other. Cousins was pretty much rested for this and his only participation was to kick the ball into play to start the rebounding drills.

The forward/defender match-ups I can remember were as follows:

HF:     Riewoldt              Connors
HB:     Schulz

F:   Morton        Hughes        Post
                       Moore          McGuane

HF:      JON               Nahas
HB:     Rance             King/Silvester

F:  Gilligan       Gourdis         Patto
B:                   Moore          McGuane

Richo, Hislop and the usual midfield suspects were in the midfield groups. It looked like Jacko, Edwards and Johnson were being used as taggers.

The other match simulation drill they worked on was the kick-ins. Especially what looked like kicking-in into a cluster zone. They had Newy, Lids and Jordie doing the kick-ins. Newy appeared the more successful as he can mix up the normal spot-up passes inside the defensive 50 with the long torps that go over the bulk of the cluster. You get into trouble when you short pass wide into the pocket and then are forced to switch across the last line of defence and back again. As Jordie found out it leads to a turnover because you can't outflank or break through the zone that way.

After finishing the match simulations drills the whole squad did some goalkicking on the run within the forward 50 at the Sherrin stand end of Vic Park.

Any questions just fire away  :). Photos to come.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1603 on: February 11, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
Thanks MT grat stuff mate. Cant really see how we coming over here with this supposed full squad.

"Rucks:

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1604 on: February 11, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »
Great report as always MT!

How did Post match up as a forward playing against McGuane?

What about Patto? Was he quick enough on the lead to trouble McGuane? Could he be remoulded as a forward?

I heard Laidley(sp?) on SEN this morning discussing kick-ins and how Hawthorn was very successful moving the ball out of defense using a different type of setup. He went onto state that North had studied the setup and was exploring its use as part of their game plan. I wonder if what you observed today was the Tigers attempt to emulate the Hawks kick in strategy... Newman is a beautiful kick who can pinpoint players at close range or load up and kick it long past a zone.

Interesting what you said about kicking to the pockets MT. We seemed woeful at clearing the oppositions defensive 50 at the start of the year but improved near the end. I hope we have learnt and refined our ball movement out of defense because with the new 'rushed behind' rule the pressure will continue to mount on our defenders which may result in more turn-overs in our defensive 50 and we all know what they turn into.

Cotch continues to worry me. Just can't see him returning anytime soon considering the amount of preseason training he has now missed. Round 1 just seems unrealistic to me.

How did Rance look? I'm hoping he gets a chance in the first early in the season. I would love to see him and Post find a spot in the team this year.

Once again thankyou MT for the great reports.

Stripes