Author Topic: Jack Ross [merged]  (Read 79933 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Ross [merged]
« on: November 23, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
Welcome to Punt Rd, Jack

:)

Another Jack  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:40:10 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Ross [merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
Jack Ross (Oakleigh Chargers)

186cm
85kg

Balanced Midfielder

STRENGTHS:
Inside/outside mix, aggression, ball winning, efficiency, speed
IMPROVEMENTS: Endurance, tackling

SUMMARY: Jack Ross is a player who has flown under the radar to put together a very impressive year amongst a raft of stars in the Oakleigh Chargers midfield. A TAC Cup mainstay, Ross has shown signs of an all-round midfield game with a good mix of aggressive ball winning, and outside class to deliver well by foot. Given he wins his fair share of contested ball, with an average of 5.4 clearances while kicking the ball long 28.7 per cent of the time, Ross’ disposal efficiency is highly impressive and a testament to his decision making when given time and space. That mix of class and aggression is rare, and puts him in good stead for making an impact at the next level with his 86.7kg frame. Given his power, Ross’ 20m sprint time of 2.95 seconds makes sense, but he could look to use that more when bursting from packs. Despite his aggressive approach, Ross can also improve on his tackling numbers, averaging just 2.4 as a midfielder who often finds himself in the clinches. As a power-based athlete, endurance is also something Ross should improve to become a more dominant midfielder and run out games with more than his average of 20.5 disposals. There is not much Ross can’t do as a midfielder though, and he looks like a ready-made prospect.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/jack-ross/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
Here is a summary of what Richmond fans can expect to see from Ross on-field...

Club: Oakleigh Chargers
State: Victoria
Height: 187cm
Weight: 87kg

Jack is from the Oakleigh Chargers/Caulfield Grammar and first displayed his talents as captain of the Vic Metro U16 side in 2016. This year he displayed strong form in the midfield with Oakleigh and won their Best and Fairest, despite only playing 12 games, averaging 22 possessions and 5 clearances a game.

He is a big-bodied midfielder who excels in and around the ball. He has great composure with ball in hand and is one of the better handballers in this year’s draft. He tested very well for speed at the State Combine and uses it to break away from stoppage.

We are very happy with the addition of Jack to our midfield group. He is a fantastic size for an inside midfielder, has football smarts, skill and leadership.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-11-23/welcome-to-richmond-jack-ross

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
Ross storms home to claim best and fairest

Toby Prime,
Monash Leader
October 10, 2018

OAKLEIGH Chargers’ inside midfielder Jack Ross has kept his AFL draft ambitions alive after a blistering finish to the TAC Cup season.

Ross rounded up a crack field in the last couple of rounds to take home the James Honey Medal as the club’s best and fairest.

The Waverley Park Hawks junior topped the charts with 67 votes, 10 clear of Collingwood Next Generation Academy prospect Isaac Quaynor. Matthew Rowell, touted as an early candidate for the No.1 pick in the 2019 draft, rounded out the top three with 53 votes.

Ross captained Vic Metro’s under-16s team at the 2016 national championships but was overlooked for under-18s honours this year.

The 18-year-old responded to his omission with a flourishing finish to the season to earn a state combine invitation.

Five of his 12 TAC Cup games came in the last month of the season, averaging 25 disposals in that time to help propel Oakleigh to the grand final.

Ross said he used the disappointment of his Vic Metro snub as motivation for the second half of his season.

“I did dwell on it for a couple of nights,” Ross said.

“It was pretty upsetting but then you’ve got to look at the bigger scheme of things and the bigger picture.

“It was straight to business after that and getting down to the second half of the season.

“Individually, I was really happy with the way things worked out and I was a bit surprised with the end result at the best and fairest.”

At 186cm and 85kg, Ross thrives on the contested side of the game.

“Obviously my size is one of my strengths and my competitive edge,” he said.

“I love the contested side of the game and I think I have a pretty unique feature with that willingness to throw my body around for the better of the team.”

Oakleigh coach Leigh Clarke praised Ross’ mindset in overcoming the disappointment of not making the final cut at Vic Metro.

“I now have a role model to drive kids who don’t make Metro,” Clarke said.

“He did exactly what you need to do when you don’t make Metro and that’s to keep going out and dominating your role like he did.

“Some are really flat because they see it as the next step in the dream when it’s not always the case.

“He’s been nothing but positive about the way he went about it.”

Clarke said Ross would be a “really good acquisition” for an AFL club.

“He has the physical attributes and footy smarts,” he said.

“I’d really love to see how he develops once he’s got that real look inside an AFL club because I think he’s someone who could play AFL footy pretty quickly.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/tac-cup-2018-jack-ross-wins-the-jack-honey-medal-as-oakleigh-chargers-best-and-fairest/news-story/bf3b84e3334194363746ef300f44b1d9

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »
This young man looks very impressive  :clapping

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 09:16:01 PM »
Round 1 lock it in. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »
Ross, who lined up with the Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup, stands 186cm and has plenty of development left in him after having several interrupted pre-seasons.

"He was really excited when we went to his house and spoke to him. We think he's got significant upside," Clarke said.

"He's obviously had some injuries over the pre-seasons, for the last three or four."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-23/richmond-draft-news

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 02:30:24 AM »
“Jack’s another big, strong, powerful, inside mid. He’s got some good speed, he’s strong, wins clearance, he’s got nice hands. He can do a lot of things. He’s had some injury history the last few pre-seasons, so he hasn’t been able to get out on the park and do a really strong pre-season and get his running up where he wants it to be. But we’re really confident that he’s the right type of character that’s going to buy into the program and improve quickly as well.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-11-24/draftees-dissection

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
Really like the look of this lad.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »
Every year I hope we'll find another Jack Graham.

This kid looks the best bet for 2019 :)

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »
I think he is a Graham with more pace and finds the footy a bit more.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:52 AM »
Jack sounds like a very switched on and goal orientated individual in his draft video which has just been posted.  Got a bit of Dusty about him too.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
Apparently this kid flew under the radar.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.