Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 116586 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:21 PM »
Another pre-National draft article from last year:

Pickett desperate for AFL chance

John Townsend
The West Australian
Monday, 3 September 2018

“I’ve got my hand up. I’ve had it up all year.”

Marlion Pickett has surely completed his AFL audition after a breathtaking display in the qualifying final showcased his brilliance, versatility and athleticism.

Several weeks after Gold Coast flew Pickett to Queensland to interview him ahead of this year’s national draft, the South Fremantle star elevated his prospects even further in the 98-point win over West Perth on Saturday.

Now entrenched in the midfield as the replacement for Geelong revelation Tim Kelly, Pickett revealed a package of skills unmatched by any other player in the State league.

The 26-year-old hauled in several spectacular pack marks amid his seven captures, drilled a series of 60m bullets among 21 kicks, landed four goals from a combination of long set shots and clever groundwork and, if that wasn’t enough, provided a couple of clear taps after spending time as a relief ruckman.

And he added a bump on West Perth captain Aaron Black that was notable for its controlled ferocity — although he was reported for it. It was a scintillating exhibition and the key to the Bulldogs’ biggest finals victory.

“I can’t do any more than what I have done this year,” Pickett said.

“I think I might go OK, but if it doesn’t happen this year I will be happy with what I’ve done. I just want to get an opportunity. I don’t care where I play, whether here, Melbourne or Queensland, just as long as I get a chance.”

Pickett asked coach Todd Curley to be moved to the midfield this year after several seasons at half-back where he was successful enough to play two State games.

But his football has gone to a new level this season as he tried to mirror Kelly with a breakout performance on the ball.

“I enjoyed it down back, but I enjoy the midfield even more,” Pickett said. “I’m probably enjoying myself more this season and enjoying the success of the boys. I can’t do my thing without the boys. Credit to them.”

Pickett has been the subject of intense interest from at least four AFL clubs. Curley was confident his rising star would succeed if given a chance.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/south-fremantle-football-club/afl-draft-marlion-pickett-can-follow-in-footsteps-of-former-south-fremantle-teammate-tim-kelly-ng-b88947699z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »
70 k  - contracted until the end of the year and we get first option to extend it after that... :shh
Think it’s 50k plus match payments.

Gets a further 20 if he’s delisted at season end.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »
The Richmond of yesteryear would never have picked up a player like this. I know he has a finger injury but he has so much X factor it’s ridiculous. We are gathering a great group of indigenous talent down at punt road these days! It’s going to be one hell of a ride!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
Kelly column: My mate Marlion deserves mid-year draft call

Tim Kelly,
Geelong Advertiser
May 18, 2019

THERE is a player in the WAFL who can play almost any position on the ground.

He is brilliant off halfback, got pace to burn off a wing, strong for his size in the forward line and tough enough to excel as an inside midfielder.

A few clubs looked at him in last year’s draft and he was close, seemingly very close, to getting the AFL opportunity he deserved, but ultimately it never came.

He is my good mate Marlion Pickett, who plays for South Fremantle in the WAFL.

If you wanted the best example of the type of player who would benefit from the AFL’s mid-season draft, Marlion is your man.

He is mature-age and he is ready to go.

Clubs have again shown interest in him during the lead-up to the AFL mid-season draft and I hope he gets his chance because he will do everything in his power to make it work.

When I left South Fremantle to come over to Geelong at the end of 2017, he effectively took my place in the midfield and quickly flourished, taking his game to a whole new level.

Back on Marlion. I think he has the versatility and talent to slip straight into AFL life. I’d love to see my good mate out there later this year, even if he’s on the opposition.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/tim-kelly-column-mate-mate-marlion-pickett-deserves-midyear-draft-call/news-story/9bb2727b41afe30da6788de145bcbc29

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
Inspired selection.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »
We should make a play for Tim Kelly now..... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »
Looks to be an astute selection. Smooth moving mid to help out with our depth. I think Shai has some Pickett blood running through his veins so this could be an additional bonus in our desire to sign up Shai :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 06:31:37 AM »
Agent reveals why Tigers pounced on a 27yo with a troubled past

AFL.com.au
Marc McGowan
May 27, 2019 10:35PM

OPERATION: Get Marlion Pickett Drafted began, in some ways, about eight weeks ago.

Pickett had long tried to put himself on the AFL radar – and watched former South Fremantle teammate Tim Kelly do exactly that – but the stigma of his two-and-a-half-year jail stint as a teenager continued to linger.

Intervention was required to breathe life into his football dream, which was realised when Richmond selected the 27-year-old in Monday night's NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Pickett approached his now agent Anthony Van Der Wielen, who he had known for six years through the WAFL, in a plea for help.

Van Der Wielen immediately began working the phones, figuring out firstly what had stopped the hard-as-nails midfielder from being drafted until now.

Retired Dockers champion Paul Hasleby and former Magpie and Bulldog Todd Curley, who have both coached Pickett at South Fremantle, were also enlisted.

"He needed to get his story told," Van Der Wielen told AFL.com.au.

"It was about him not just being the guy who did two-and-a-half years in jail, because that was six or seven years ago and that was something he did when he was 17 or 18 years of age.

"Once we were able to get clubs to sit down and meet with him, they saw he's got a lovely family and four good kids, he's as fit as a trout and really clean-living and never misses a training session.

"I think people took the stereotype out and just saw him for who he is."

The plan looked to have come unstuck on Saturday, when Pickett – a dual South Fremantle club champion – re-broke the right index finger that had ruled him out for all bar two games of the WAFL season.

The Tigers and Essendon were his keenest admirers, but his surgeon told him on Saturday night he faced another eight to 10 weeks on the sidelines.

The Bombers pulled out on Monday morning, but Richmond list manager Blair Hartley remained in contact and eventually let the Pickett camp know the good news just before the draft started.

"He's been impeccable since arriving at our football club and I'm rapt for him and it's been overwhelming all the responses on my phone," Van Der Wielen said.

"He deserves this and he's a readymade body and could step straight in, but I think it's more likely it'd be next year."

Pickett will fly to Melbourne on Wednesday, with his long-time partner Jess and their children remaining in Western Australia for the time being.

So what sort of player are the Tigers getting?

"He hits as hard as Byron Pickett but he plays with a lot of grace," Van Der Wielen said.

"He wears the No.25 at South Fremantle, which was worn by our greatest ever footballer, (Hall of Famer) Stephen Michael, and there are some similarities between them.

"He's very athletic and you certainly don't want to get in his way, but he reads the play beautifully, so he'll probably be a big-bodied midfielder or a running half-back in the AFL."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/agent-reveals-why-tigers-pounced-on-a-27yo-with-a-troubled-past

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
New Tiger: How jail, footy changed me

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
May 28, 2019

New Richmond draftee Marlion Pickett says football saved him after walking out of a two-and-half year jail sentence in 2013 and signing up for South Fremantle.

The Tigers provided the jaw-dropping moment of the mid-season draft when they signed Pickett despite his troubled past and an 8-10 week finger injury.

Pickett spent 30 months in jail for a string of minor burglary offences but has been open with clubs about how he has changed his life through football.

He told the Herald Sun on Monday night from Perth that everything he did now was for his partner and four young children.

“This means a lot for my family. Everything I do is for my kids and partner so they don’t have to worry about growing up like I did. Everything I do is for them,” he said.

“I have been out since 2013, so the first week I go out I walked into South Fremantle.

“I have been honest with clubs. The past is the past and I can’t change what I have done but I can change who I have become.

“(Jail) was hard but it was a learning curve. If I didn’t go in there I might have got into worse trouble.

“My older brother was in there and he gave me a talking to. He said you shouldn’t be in here, he gave me a little clip. (To play an AFL game) would mean a lot, to represent my kids and my partner.”

Richmond recruiting manager Matt Clarke said the Tigers would put the right support structures around Pickett as a long-term prospect.

“We are pretty happy to embrace all types of people and cultures and personalities at the footy club. They have still got to fit our mould at the footy club. We think he does,” he said.

“We have liked his talent for quite a while. He has been in the system playing really good senior footy

“Going into the midfield last year with South Freo was a big step up for him and that gave us a bit more confidence to give it a crack. We think he can add to our mix.”
Pickett is unlikely to play this season after injuring his finger in the WAFL. Picture: Daniel Wilkins

Richmond’s determination to pick him despite the likelihood he won’t play senior football this year shows how much they believe in Pickett.

His manager Anthony Van Der Wielen said he believed Pickett’s hopes had been dashed by Saturday’s injury.

“We have had a lot of interviews with Richmond in the last few weeks and when he went down on Saturday with the finger, we really thought it might have been hard for them,” he said.

“I knew it was a great opportunity for him to get to Melbourne and go through the induction process.

“He is fit as a trout and with his finger he can train really hard. (List manager) Blair Hartley didn’t tell me until 15 minutes before the draft and I still didn’t want to tell Marlion (until his name was read out).”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/new-richmond-recruit-marlion-pickett-says-his-stint-in-jail-was-a-huge-learning-curve/news-story/2ab8ca95f86d42877d70a708db270d8b

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 06:38:49 AM »
Gee you read a lot of spin and rubbish
I hope he makes it ✅
He can play and is an X Factor
Will be 28yo next year
Reality is that he has played 2 average games this year and won’t play for at least another 10 weeks
Is no where near AFL fitness levels
Why draft now when he won’t play and if he did a pre season like Stack , pick him up next year and save $50k 🤔🤔

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 06:54:26 AM »
Consider the next 6 months an extra long preseason. And an opportunity to get him and his family settled in Melbourne. I wonder if Dimma will make room at his house for Marlion, the missus and the four kids?

:lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 07:00:02 AM »
Gee you read a lot of spin and rubbish
I hope he makes it ✅
He can play and is an X Factor
Will be 28yo next year
Reality is that he has played 2 average games this year and won’t play for at least another 10 weeks
Is no where near AFL fitness levels
Why draft now when he won’t play and if he did a pre season like Stack , pick him up next year and save $50k 🤔🤔

It's worth punt as we get first "dibs" on him for 2020. He will play VFL this season so it's a good chance for both sides to work together to make it work.

Our club isn't broke, financially we are one of the strongest, $50k isn't going to send us to the wall.

Have no issue with it, it's a good call and worth it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 07:05:18 AM »
I think it’s an ordinary call
No other club was going to pick him up for various reasons
Highlights tape is from 2018 you will find as his two games in year have been poor
Geelong issues with Kelly just highlights how hard it is to relocate with a family
Pickett has 4 very young children
He won’t be long term at 28 next year
Club could of drafted him next pre season after he spent time training with us as did Stack
Hope I am wrong
Have to wait and see
Won’t play AFL this year guaranteed
VFL at best
Missed way too much footy this year

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
OK it looks like its going to be a great call then

Another big tick for the RFC