Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 122289 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #585 on: October 25, 2022, 06:47:18 PM »
Don't want to put the mozz on him but just the one major concern is his age. 31 before a ball is bounced and any sort of injury could spell big trouble.
Hard as a cats head but both he and McIntosh lack a bit of polish with disposal.
Would be hoping we are looking for a replacement for one of them on a wing.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #586 on: October 25, 2022, 10:48:11 PM »
Pickett is very clean by foot. IMO.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #587 on: December 06, 2022, 01:37:25 AM »
Marlion was elevated in our latest list lodgement.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1599656913792565249

Club confirmation of Pickett being promoted to our senior list.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #588 on: December 06, 2022, 08:04:08 AM »
Don't want to put the mozz on him but just the one major concern is his age. 31 before a ball is bounced and any sort of injury could spell big trouble.
Hard as a cats head but both he and McIntosh lack a bit of polish with disposal.
Would be hoping we are looking for a replacement for one of them on a wing.
Agree, but as with the forward situation it is difficult to have a group of emerging players waiting in the wings due to list size and players getting despondent with not getting a go or getting dropped as per cholly, butler, CCJ etc etc.
Would not want to see Marlion dropped as he still has a huge upside this year and possibly next imho, maybe Bradtke or one of the new brigade is his or Macintosh’s replacement??

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #589 on: December 06, 2022, 10:23:25 AM »
Marlion is playing well. Hope he doesn't do a Shedda

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #590 on: December 06, 2022, 10:29:42 AM »
Marlion is playing well. Hope he doesn't do a Shedda

Even if he does that means another 2/3 years of decent output. Enough time to get him to 100 games

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #591 on: February 14, 2023, 02:50:12 PM »
According to track watchers Pickett has been spending time in the midfield in match sim & having an impact. I'm very pleased to hear that. Plays the wing for us so well but there were times last yr when I thought he'd have a greater impact on ball.
Will watch with interest..

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1625329355193974785

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2023, 12:30:45 AM »
Richmond rolled the dice at selection for Thursday night’s clash with Carlton, selecting premiership player Marlion Pickett despite an adductor issue hampering him in the pre-season.

The new rule made it possible, Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said.

“The plan was always [for Pickett] to play 2 ½ quarters, then Jack Ross would come in, and it probably played out that way as well, so I think it worked OK,” Hardwick said.

“Marlion is going to get better as the season goes on ... but you take a bit of a risk, obviously, hoping no one gets injured, and we got through, so we were able to pull the lever on the sub.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/new-sub-rule-creates-tactical-byplay-but-also-complications-for-afl-coaches-20230320-p5ctlb.html

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #593 on: March 21, 2023, 12:53:28 AM »
Marlion was killing it in the first half.

Willing himself to contest after contest and winning them all.

A seriously classy and intelligent footballer, seemingly only getting better with age too.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2023, 05:31:34 AM »

A seriously classy and intelligent footballer, seemingly only getting better with age too.
And tough as nails crossed with a cats head 🦾

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #595 on: March 21, 2023, 12:04:47 PM »

And tough as nails crossed with a cats head 🦾

He is one dude I wouldn't want to mess with, size aside.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #596 on: March 21, 2023, 05:11:53 PM »
I don’t know what he says but they all crap themselves when he comes thundering in to spoil. Remember Hill when we smashed the Saints a couple of years ago?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2023, 11:02:56 PM »

Gunna disagree. Hope thats okay.

Seriously though Marlion was one of the better H/B going around in the WAFL when we drafted him. Yes he also played a little bit thru the mids.

I always wonder what we would have had if we played him as a hb. At Richmond it seems we create problems by not playing blokes in their best roles.

I don’t know what he says but they all crap themselves when he comes thundering in to spoil. Remember Hill when we smashed the Saints a couple of years ago?
Ha Brad Hill the most overrated player in the AFL  soft as butter and teams are supposed to live with that because he is so freakin skilled. He is a panic merchant a fumbler and his skills are the most overrated of any player in the comp.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2023, 11:10:06 PM »

Seriously though Marlion was one of the better H/B going around in the WAFL when we drafted him. Yes he also played a little bit thru the mids.

I always wonder what we would have had if we played him as a hb. At Richmond it seems we create problems by not playing blokes in their best roles.

Ha Brad Hill the most overrated player in the AFL  soft as butter and teams are supposed to live with that because he is so freakin skilled. He is a panic merchant a fumbler and his skills are the most overrated of any player in the comp.

I think he wins a lot of contested ball and is often kicking under pressure, in traffic or when being tackled etc which might skew his DE negatively, but when he's kicking freely I think he's a beautiful kick.

As for HBF, well you've described it as being easy to look good for less physical players like Short, Houli and Ellis etc. I reckon Pickett is a great contest player and we'll suited to wing or midfield agree on that last point there. Heck I thought he did ok in the ruck ffs.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #599 on: March 22, 2023, 11:26:49 PM »

I think he wins a lot of contested ball and is often kicking under pressure, in traffic or when being tackled etc which might skew his DE negatively, but when he's kicking freely I think he's a beautiful kick.

As for HBF, well you've described it as being easy to look good for less physical players like Short, Houli and Ellis etc. I reckon Pickett is a great contest player and we'll suited to wing or midfield agree on that last point there. Heck I thought he did ok in the ruck ffs.

Andy ive gone  on about Hill for years even under no pressure he stuffs up disposal big time. He does not know what a contested possesion is never lays a tackle as a winger or outdside player on the fringe he just does not end up with clearances. Hwe poos his pants when he hears players close by. Imo an absolute horrid player not worth two bob.