Author Topic: Grimes and Nank named co-captains [updated]  (Read 25413 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be our next captain after Cotch?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 02:40:20 AM »
Leigh Montagna last night said our next captain should be Jack Graham.

It was based on what Graham did in the last quarter on Friday night after Brisbane had kicked a couple of goals in a row. Graham won the centre clearance and then ran hard forward to mark the Aarts pass. Graham then kicked the crunch goal from 50.

Montagna reckons Cotch should be captain for one more year before Graham takes over in 2023.

Tom Morris brought up the idea of co-captains next year (Cotch & Graham) as a means of making the transition.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »
Your club's next captain: Who's ready to lead them into battle?

Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
31 July 2021

RICHMOND

It has been a long and illustrious run for Trent Cotchin as Richmond skipper. He was appointed in the role as a 22-year-old ahead of the 2013 season and has led the club to three premierships in a golden era. Cotchin is contracted to the end of 2022, but a discussion on his future as the Tigers' captain is likely to come over summer, with Nick Vlastuin looming as the standout next option. Richmond has opted for a streamlined leadership group in recent seasons with Jack Riewoldt his vice-captain, but Vlastuin is in the prime of his career having signed a five-year contract extension and committed his future to the Tigers. Two-time premiership winner Jack Graham has also been viewed as a potential future leader.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/655100/your-club-s-next-captain-who-s-ready-to-lead-them-into-battle-

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2021, 08:19:36 PM »
Graham could be Richmond's next skipper

This isn't a "time's up for Trent Cotchin" bit, rather a look to Richmond's future once the three-time premiership skipper decides the time has come. For all the hope that came with the 53-point turnaround against North Melbourne, Richmond's first half was ordinary to say the least – with the exception of 23-year-old Graham, whose hard running, disposal and decisions kept the Tigers in touch at half-time. One of four Tigers to have played all 20 games this year, he is mature, well-spoken and leads by example on the field with his attack on the footy. - Sarah Black

https://www.afl.com.au/news/659557/eight-things-we-learned-an-18-game-don-is-destined-for-stardom

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »
Think they’ll go vlas before giving it to graham and I’d agree with that.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:16 AM »
One of the guys on the BF podcast reckons Cotch wants to play on next year but will hand over the captaincy.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »
He's contracted and clearly over the hill so if anything it's a year late but clearly not a surprise.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »
Graham is still too inconsistent for mine and I wouldn’t give it to vlastuin either… perhaps grimes for a couple years or nank

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2021, 04:53:38 PM »
Hardwick said Cotchin would make the final decision on whether he would retain the captaincy - but in his own eyes there was "no question" the 31-year-old was the right man to lead the Tigers.

"They're conversations we'll have over the course of summer but we're in no rush to have them at this stage," he said.

Source: AFL media

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Appoint Dustin Martin as captain to throw him a new challenge: Watson (SEN)
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2021, 03:01:57 AM »
THE “CHALLENGE” THROWN DOWN TO RICHMOND STAR MARTIN

By Alex Zaia
SEN
19 August 2021

Tim Watson thinks Richmond should consider appointing Dustin Martin as captain to throw the triple Norm Smith Medallist a new “challenge”.

Trent Cotchin has skippered the Tigers to three premierships since assuming the role in November 2012 and holds the record for the most games as Richmond captain.

Martin, 30, would be Watson's choice to replace Cotchin if he decides to relinquish the captaincy.

“Trent Cotchin has been an unbelievable leader of this team,” the Essendon great told SEN Breakfast.

“For me, and this might surprise some people, but I would actually go to ‘Dusty’ Martin.

“The reason behind that is I reckon everybody needs to be challenged by something at different stages of their career.

“Just watching him and listening to people talk about him and how he has matured within that group, when you’ve achieved as much as he has, I reckon there’s another way to maybe challenge him.

“I think this would challenge him and I think that it might mean that you get more out of him over the next two or three years than what you might if you didn’t throw some sort of challenge at him, like the captaincy or a different role within the football club.

“Sometimes I look at him and I think the game almost comes too easily to him. Maybe there’s some other way he can project himself onto other players within the team.”

Jack Graham has been touted as a future Richmond captain, but Jordan Lewis would prefer to see the midfielder continue to develop as a leader before stepping into the top job.

“It’s a great point because there’s probably a gap at the moment in terms of the next obvious leader there,” Lewis said.

“There’s been a lot spoken about (Jack) Graham, how they think he’s a future captain.

“He’s 23 at the moment, so he probably needs a few more years to develop into the leader that they want him to be.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/19/the-challenge-thrown-down-to-richmond-star-martin/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »
Interesting but I don't know if Dusty would bite

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
You need to do too much media if you are captain. There’s no way dusty would take that on.

If they are after a short term captain then could make it grimes, edwards or nank. I still think vlastuin is the way to go.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
I've said for a while that if Dusty wants to be captain, then he should get the gig. He's the obvious on field choice, and he wouldn't have to do bags of media, there are plenty of guys in the team that can give him a chop out there. We don't actually see Cotch doing press conferences every five minutes, we see just as much of Riewoldt, Lambert, Grimes and others.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2021, 12:25:20 PM »
Barrett in his 'Sliding Doors' column today:

IF ...
I was in charge of the Tigers ...

THEN ...
I'd be making Dusty captain from 2022. And he'd then be the first AFL captain to refuse to speak to media. But so what.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/673250/if-the-suns-have-been-considering-adding-luke-parker-to-their-mix-then

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
He can be vice at worst.
Go Tigers!

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »
Richmond Premiership Captain might be something Dusty wants on his resume?