Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 70970 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #405 on: August 14, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
Isn’t there a quirky start somewhere that recruiting a Rioli is always followed by a premiership?

Yes pretty much.

Essendon with Dean
Hawks with Cyril
West Coke with Willie
Tiges with Dan

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2022, 06:50:31 PM »
No rising star nomination though. The AFL gave it instead to Saints tagger Marcus Windhager.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1559094244102799360

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »
People worry too much about rising star noms
Who gives a continental

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2022, 09:27:09 PM »
People worry too much about rising star noms
Who gives a continental

:clapping  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2022, 09:38:41 PM »
Sensational game. Love watching him develop. Amazing what happens when you give someone a go from the VFL

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2022, 11:41:32 PM »
Just two years ago I was watching highlights of this skinny little kid who couldn't tear a sticker off the fridge - take another look at him now! 

Little Maurice has worked his butt off in the gym & is now built like a cannon ball!

THAT'S what blokes stuck in the VFL side need to do to get a game!  Do the work!   

The bar has been set ...    :clapping
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2022, 11:44:50 PM »
Just two years ago I was watching highlights of this skinny little kid who couldn't tear a sticker off the fridge - take another look at him now! 

Little Maurice has worked his butt off in the gym & is now built like a cannon ball!

THAT'S what blokes stuck in the VFL side need to do to get a game!  Do the work!   

great post JP :clapping

Isn’t there a quirky start somewhere that recruiting a Rioli is always followed by a premiership?

Yes pretty much.

Essendon with Dean
Hawks with Cyril
West Coke with Willie
Tiges with Dan
I’ve always been of the opinion that if there’s a Rioli in the draft just pick him. All of them should’ve been in Yellow and Black.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2022, 08:46:49 AM »

While I get your point and in the most part I agree

But there are "blokes stuck in the VFL side" who have done the work, worked on the things they have been asked to, then played consistent, solid and good (some cases great) footy and cannot for whatever reason get a game

I appreciate MRJ plays a specific role, a bloody important role but it isn't as easy to say do what he's done and you'll get a game, a chance because the facts are for some you clearly won't

So all I'm saying is that for some it doesn't matter where the bar has been set, they won't get a look in.

MRJ's improvement has been fantastic and it is an indictment on the MC that he got dropped. A decision that IMHO cost us games. Now he is in there he must stay in. He is crucial to our finals campaign
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: August 16, 2022, 10:27:43 PM »
Alright some positivity.

As one who has been critical of the attacking side of his game and still think it has to get a fair bit better as a fwd he has won me over.

Early days could not see where the improvement would come from but now think he can become at least a good player for us.
Just hope we are smart enough to not get fixated on just the defensive part of the game.

Anyone who saw a lot of Maurice senior would know he was both hard and defensive but also brilliant in his ability to attack and bring others into the game. I really do hate the term role player it limits not just what they can be b ut expectations also. We should always be expecting all of our players to become well rounded.

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: August 17, 2022, 02:53:14 PM »
He's a 19/20 year old kid who's played fewer than 20 games. He's building a game based on defensive pressure at the moment, but once he feels that he belongs, we'll start to see the other sides of his game and personality. I'm excited by what he will offer once he reaches that 40-50 game mark.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2022, 03:12:14 PM »
One of the commentators on Sunday said something that I find to be true. He said that when he gets the ball he doesn’t know what he’s gonna do with it and makes it work on the fly… you can sorta see this but can’t expect much more from someone with his inexperience, just goes to show how naturally the game comes to him. You can see he gets really excited and he over cooked a few simple kicks but also had a few good moments of composure. Once he starts finding that composure more often he will be a real weapon

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #417 on: August 17, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
It was almost like you could see it click with Maurice on Sunday how to be attacking and defensive as well.

Such an exciting player.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2022, 03:02:43 PM »
Drafted to Richmond as a father-son selection with pick No. 51 overall at the 2020 AFL National Draft, Rioli Jnr’s two-year extension will further cement his strong affiliation with the Club.

The 19-year-old has booted 15 majors from his first 16 AFL games and is the #1 player in the AFL this season for causing scores from turnovers.

Rioli Jnr also ranks #1 at Richmond for tackles per game inside 50, #6 for goals and #8 for goal assists.

“Maurice has been terrific since coming into our program late in 2020, impressing everyone with how he goes about his football,” Hartley said.

“He is a great teammate that helps us to play the Richmond way and this contract extension is reward for his hard work behind the scenes.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1207969/impressive-young-tigers-commit-to-richmond