Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 68719 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #435 on: November 22, 2022, 05:29:32 AM »
Maurice looks to have come back in good shape  :thumbsup.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »
"I'm going to be sitting back and smiling every time I see you on the screen."

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1598436785700237312

What a great message video from Sheds  :thumbsup.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2022, 07:03:36 PM »
Building a bit of Muscle like his dad, hope he doesn’t lose speed
No wonder all the players at the club rated Titch , just a genuine good fellow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #438 on: December 03, 2022, 01:07:24 AM »
‘A great mentor’: Rioli moves up the pecking order in Tigers stalwart’s footsteps

Marnie Vinall
The Age
December 3, 2022

Richmond small forward Maurice Rioli jnr has inherited the Tigers’ No. 10 jumper from triple premiership player Shane Edwards, continuing the jumper’s Indigenous link.

Rioli, whose father Maurice Rioli played 118 games for the Tigers, previously wore the No. 49 in 17 games over the past two years, 15 last season, where he kicked 14 goals and came to be known for his defensive pressure while up forward.

He said it was a great honour to accept Edwards’ offer of taking over the No. 10 after the fan-favourite veteran hung up the boots at the end of last season following an illustrious 303-game playing career.

“It’s an honour to be asked to have it handed down to me,” Rioli said. “It’s an honour to be wearing the number 10.”

Rioli said Edwards was a player he, and numerous young Indigenous kids, looked up to.

“He’s been a great mentor. A lot of love, a lot of stories we’ve shared ... he’s a great fella and legend of the club and someone I’ll keep looking up to over the years.”

In a video posted to social media Edwards told Rioli he was extremely proud and wished him the best, although he warned he might need cotton wool for his ears being so close to No. 8 Jack Riewoldt in the locker room.

“I haven’t wiped the smile off my face since we talked about you being in the No. 10, Maurice. I’m extremely proud that you want to share this connection over the remainder of your career, which will no doubt be a long one,” said Edwards.

“Since the days you walked through the doors at Punt Road, even before you were drafted, you’ve been one of my favourite teammates, one of the best blokes getting around and you’ve worked really hard to get to the point where you are now. And I’ve no doubt you’ll continue to work extremely hard.”

Edwards added that he would be “sitting back and smiling” every time he saw Rioli play in the yellow and black.

“Every time you get a kick, you tap the ball on, you chase someone down, every time the opposition just kicks it because they’re scared of knowing that you’re around there in the forward line.”

Rioli, however, said the advice he received from Edwards on the jumper was simple. “Make it look good,” he said with a laugh.

Rioli added if the AFL was to introduce an Indigenous all-star pre-season match against a multicultural team, he would be proud to be selected.

“It would be very exciting to play against any former teammates and play footy with all the other Indigenous players that you’ve never played with before, only against.”

Rioli with Melbourne Indigenous Transition School students at Richmond on Friday.CREDIT:EDDIE JIM

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/rioli-moves-up-the-pecking-order-in-tigers-stalwart-s-footsteps-20221202-p5c38h.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #439 on: December 07, 2022, 01:56:03 AM »
Maurice “PRESSURE KING” Rioli Jr HIGHLIGHTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qVmMNRkefU

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #440 on: December 07, 2022, 05:15:57 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2023, 05:59:44 PM »
Dan Rioli saying Maurice will spend time at stoppages as well as his forward pressure role.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1266534/-everyone-s-getting-along-really-well-rioli

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2023, 09:37:44 PM »
Dan Rioli saying Maurice will spend time at stoppages as well as his forward pressure role.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1266534/-everyone-s-getting-along-really-well-rioli

Exciting.

Mind you I also wouldn't mind Dan popping into the midfield from time to time. Great speed and kicking.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2023, 02:39:08 AM »
Dan Rioli said uncle Maurice Rioli Jr had been a standout on the training track over the pre-season and was likely to spend more time up the field as the Richmond coaches work with him to increase his scoreboard impact.

Rioli Jr only averaged one goal and eight disposals per game in 2022, but his defensive efforts outshone the league’s premier small forwards, forcing the most scores from turnovers of any player during the home-and-away season.

“I think the coaches have full faith in Maurice to go and enter the stoppage at any stage – if Shai (Bolton) doesn’t want to go into stoppages he can take Maurice and say, ‘Go into the stoppage and play there for a bit’,” Daniel said.

“Maurice is growing into any role now and the coaches are really having faith in what he can bring on the field.

“The more games he plays, a lot better he’s going to be for us offensively, and obviously defensively he doesn’t have to worry about because he’s been very good for us in that area.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/kayaking-bike-riding-tigers-bond-on-the-coast-as-livewire-eyes-expanded-role/news-story/c20699c99e972c66895f27b1d604e4a1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2023, 11:42:55 AM »
Maurice’s game was quiet offensively but he was doing a power of work when the Ds had it, needed some friends…

https://twitter.com/Richmond_TT/status/1632142173234937857

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2023, 01:36:29 AM »
Maurice has come a long way in a short period, two goal haul from Maurice this week.

Couldn’t be more impressed with the young fella!

https://twitter.com/JourneyRichmond/status/1636974087603101696

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2023, 01:39:49 AM »
Thought he was very fumbly and sloppy with his disposal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #447 on: March 25, 2023, 07:41:53 PM »
Maurice is vital to our structure as a defensive pressure forward and he's obviously trying to create but there were at least 3 kicks sideways into the centre that slowly looped to flat-footed teammates and were picked off by Adelaide. Right idea but not executed. Sometimes you've got to not try and bite off more than you can chew.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #448 on: March 25, 2023, 09:06:02 PM »
Not his best game and was non existent in the 3rd quarter not even sure he on the ground in the second half.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #449 on: March 25, 2023, 09:41:49 PM »
Maurice is our only play with forward pressure. Need another one.
Go Tigers!