Author Topic: Vale Shane Tuck  (Read 18207 times)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Vale Shane Tuck
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 12:29:27 AM »
I'm gutted to see this happen.  I don't know what to say other than to hope all who need it receive healing ... 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 09:35:44 AM »
Ok here we go

I’ve been a member of this forum for many many years .. this thread has hit me a lot harder than some would realise

Twice I’ve been taken to hospital in an ambulance after failed suicide attempts ...

I’m the father of two magnificent daughters who think the world of me, aged 11 and 8 . It’s easy to look at what has happened with Tucky and think, how could he ??? But I was in the position of feeling hopeless myself

It’s easy for people to say this is the fault of the AFL and the lack of support systems they have in place , but it definitely isn’t that simple coming from experience of being in the lowest of the low myself

Brave of you to speak honestly about your struggles Damo.

I hope you’re in a better frame of mind now.

All the best mate.   :)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »
Ok here we go

I’ve been a member of this forum for many many years .. this thread has hit me a lot harder than some would realise

Twice I’ve been taken to hospital in an ambulance after failed suicide attempts ...

I’m the father of two magnificent daughters who think the world of me, aged 11 and 8 . It’s easy to look at what has happened with Tucky and think, how could he ??? But I was in the position of feeling hopeless myself

It’s easy for people to say this is the fault of the AFL and the lack of support systems they have in place , but it definitely isn’t that simple coming from experience of being in the lowest of the low myself

Courage takes many forms Damo, and this is one bloody  courageous post.

Thank you.

Take care of you
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 03:21:59 PM »
Ok here we go

All the best Damo - life is a struggle for some more than others and I hope you can see through the dark clouds on tough days knowing that your family needs you more than anything.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
AFL 2020: Richmond coach says club will honour Shane Tuck after his shock death this week

Russell Gould
JULY 23, 20202:28PM
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has paid tribute to Shane Tuck as a “warrior” after the former Tiger’s shock death earlier this week.

Tuck played 63 of his 173 games under Hardwick, including a clash against Port Adelaide in 2013 when he went back on the ground with a broken scapula.

The injury eventually required surgery and put Tuck on the sidelines for eight weeks, but didn’t stop him inspiring his teammates

Hardwick said that effort was perfect evidence of Tuck’s warrior spirit.

“We were short a rotation, he actually broke his scapula (shoulder) and he went back on the ground,” Hardwick said.

“We only need a rotation because we were down two and we told him to just stay in the goalsquare.

“But as Tucky does, he was just a warrior and a competitor and I remember watching him chase outside 50 and he did a diving tackle.We’re not quite sure what he intended to do but that sums him up.

“He was a warrior and an inspiration to be around.”

Hardwick said Tuck’s passing was a shock to everyone at the club, and the premiership-winning coach spoke to his players “at length” about it.

He said the Tigers would honour Tuck ahead of Friday’s Grand Final rematch with GWS.

“I coached him for three or four years, and everyone has a Shane Tuck story,” Hardwick said.

“He was one of those players that as soon as you saw him you automatically smiled. We look forward to at some stage to celebrating his life and what a tremendous man he was.

“He’ll be with us on the weekend and we’ll be doing something for him.

“He’ll be fondly remembered at our footy club no doubt.”

If you or someone you know is in need help, call Lifeline on 131 114, visit lifeline.org.au, or call Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond/afl-2020-richmond-coach-says-club-will-honour-shane-tuck-after-his-shock-death-this-week/news-story/c7e8864ed2311b29cdc97d6dd988f620

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 10:26:52 PM »
Ellis wore the black armband tonight.... :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Vale Shane Tuck: Teammates Share their Stories
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 05:28:38 PM »
Shane Tuck dead: Teammates share ripping stories about AFL great

Teammates of Shane Tuck — who died this week — have shared heartwarming stories about a man who was always there for them

Tributes continue to flow for Shane Tuck as former teammates shared a collection of their favourite stories illustrating just how great a man the AFL star was.

Tuck died earlier this week aged 38, sparking an outpouring of emotion from a footy community devastated at losing one of the game’s true good guys.

The son of Hawthorn legend Michael, Tuck forged a mighty career of his own, playing 173 games for Richmond to become a Tigers icon and one of the most respected players in the league for how he performed on and off the field.

In an emotional piece published on the AFL Players website, several of Tuck’s former comrades penned some cracking tales that reveal just why he was so loved.

Dan Jackson said Tuck’s tough-as-nails exterior masked a soft side and he was “hugely empathetic to his mates, especially when he thought they may be doing it tough”.

During a rough trot in his career in 2012, when his poor form was a hot topic in the media, Jackson recalled being consoled by Tuck who put an arm around him and said: “Hey mate, don’t listen to those idiots, you’re a great player, you’ll prove them wrong.”

Tuck’s kindness didn’t end there. A year later, Jackson opened his locker and staring back at him was an article about how he’d reinvigorated his career.

“Having no idea where it came from, Tucky, who I’d shared the locker next to for 10 years appeared, once again put his hand on my shoulder, lowered his eyes (the way he did when you knew he was going to say something meaningful) and said, ‘I knew you’d prove them wrong Jacko, I thought you should leave that there as a reminder’,” Jackson wrote for AFL Players. “And off he strolled …”

He made a similar effort to encourage Tyrone Vickery. “I remember at a point I was not playing well and Tucky pulled me aside and told me, ‘Mate I was labelled a ‘list clogger’, ‘not good enough’ and a ‘waste of a spot’. Believe in yourself and don’t listen to the outside world’,” Vickery wrote.

“It stuck with me because he wasn’t naturally a super vocal leader, but he was naturally a really genuine caring person.”

There were also tales of toughness.

Nathan Foley recalled Tuck breaking his scapula (shoulder) during a match against Port Adelaide in 2013, but ignoring the pain to play with an injury that required surgery.

Less than a week later Foley was moving house and who should turn up to help but Tuck with his arm nestled in a sling. That didn’t bother him, and he just got to work.

“With his arm in a sling he started picking things up one handed and taking them into the house,” Foley wrote. “I suggested he probably shouldn’t be doing that.

“He just said, ‘It’ll be right’ and continued on helping.”

“He didn’t try to be tough; he didn’t seek praise for being tough. Tucky was just tough and he knew no different.”

Brett Deledio shared a lighter anecdote. At a pub for his Bucks party, Deledio’s blood pressure started to rise when another patron continually elbowed him in the back and wouldn’t take the hint when told he was being a pest.

Tensions escalated and as Deledio’s dad, nicknamed Block, stepped in, so too did Tuck.

“Now I don’t know if Tucky was watching or not, but personally I think he smelt something brewing and before I knew it he was standing right beside dad, as he was lecturing this other Buck, saying, ‘Right, we going Block or what?’” Deledio wrote.

“Tucky was ready to take on the whole pub if one of his mates needed him to.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/shane-tuck-dead-teammates-share-ripping-stories-about-afl-great/news-story/9f1cc617488ecd8d5d5bc7008bf45999

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Our Mate Tucky
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
Our mate Tucky

By Nathan Foley, Dan Jackson, Ty Vickery, Jake King, Brett Deledio and Andrew Collins - 1 day ago

With special thanks to aflplayers.com.au, former Richmond players Nathan Foley, Dan Jackson, Brett Deledio, Ty Vickery, Jake King and Andrew Collins have put together a series of short stories as they remember their teammate, Shane Tuck, following his tragic passing this week.

Introduction written by Dan Jackson
Everyone grieves in their own way.

For many guys, it involves sitting around, sharing stories, and having a laugh over a few beers.

Unfortunately, with where the world is currently at, we aren’t able to get together to celebrate the life of our mate, Tucky.

So instead, in a small way to honour a great man, we’d like to share some personal stories about what Tucky meant to each of us.

Hopefully by reading these you’ll get some insight into one of the most unique humans you’ll likely ever come across.

Tucky was tough – he was a warrior – but he was also loyal, caring, and genuine. Tucky was our brother – he always had our backs, no matter what…

Before you read our stories, if we could ask you to do one thing to help us remember and honour our mate Tucky.

If you can think of someone in your life who may be doing it tough at the moment, please check in with them to see how they’re going. You don’t have to solve their problems – just do what Tucky did for each of us – just show them you’re there for them, because everyone needs a mate like Tucky.

TUCKY – By Nathan Foley
In round seven, 2013, in the game against Port Adelaide, Tucky fractured his scapula in the third quarter.

He bravely played out that game.

Tucky was grimacing as he ran around with his elbow tucked into his stomach to provide some stability to shield him from the pain he was feeling. We ended up winning that game.

Tucky required surgery for his fractured scapula.

Less than a week after his surgery, I was moving into a new house and had organised Tucky’s removalist business to help out.

Tucky had started this business with an old mate, who was very much in a similar mould to himself.

Much to my surprise, Tucky turned up that day to help unpack the truck.

With his arm in a sling he started picking things up one handed and taking them into the house. I suggested he probably shouldn’t be doing that -he just said, ‘It’ll be right’ and continued on helping.

Tucky was tough on and off the field.

He didn’t try to be tough; he didn’t seek praise for being tough. Tucky was just tough and he knew no different.

We will never forget you Tucky and when we all catch up for a beer, we will always have plenty of great Tucky stories.

Rest in peace mate.

TUCKY – By Dan Jackson
Tucky was a unique human.

On one side he was the toughest guy I ever met – I played on some big-bodied midfielders throughout my career, but the only person I ever feared lining up against was Shane Tuck.

Tucky was fearless and uncompromising when it came to winning the footy and if you found yourself in his way, you’d feel it – the man was made of iron.

But Tucky also had a softer side.

He was hugely empathetic to his mates, especially when he thought they may be doing it tough – perhaps because he’d had his own battles to fight throughout his journey.

One day, in 2012, when I was having a bad run of form and copping it from some of the media, on a recovery walk around the MCG parklands, Tucky, mid-conversation (about who knows what!) suddenly put his arm on my shoulder, lowered his eyes and said, “Hey mate, don’t listen to those idiots, you’re a great player, you’ll prove them wrong.” End of convo – no more said.

Until 12 months later, when one morning I opened my locker to find an article about my career turnround stuck to the inside of the door.

Having no idea where it came from, Tucky, who I’d shared the locker next to for 10 years appeared, once again put his hand on my shoulder, lowered his eyes (the way he did when you knew he was going to say something meaningful) and said,

“I knew you’d prove them wrong Jacko; I thought you should leave that there as a reminder.” And off he strolled…

Whilst I’d prefer not to have to ever face you in another one-to-one contest at training Tucky, I’d give anything to sit next to you at our lockers again. This time I’d put my arm on your shoulder to tell you that I love ya… Rest in peace Great Man – we’ll miss you.

TUCKY – By Brett Deledio

A great memory I have of Tucky was at my Bucks party up in Echuca.

We were at the Shamrock Hotel for the night and I was standing there with my Dad, Uncle Ron and Dad’s best mate and, close family friend, Shane Vick.

Talking absolute rubbish no doubt, this bloke kept elbowing me in the back, he was a Buck as well it turned out and had tipped a few too many in.

I let him know I wasn’t rapt with the treatment, but he continued on his elbowing ways when Dad stepped in and warned him that he needed to cut it out.

Now I don’t know if Tucky was watching or not, but personally I think he smelt something brewing and before I knew it he was standing right beside Dad, as he was lecturing this other Buck, saying “Right we going Block (Dad’s Nickname) or what?”

Tucky was ready to take on the whole pub if one of his mates needed him to.

He was as loyal as they come, ran straight, shot straight and was a downright funny bugger, even though he didn’t always know he was. I’ll miss the honesty, the quirkiness, but most of all I’ll just miss the bloody top bloke you were.

Rest Easy, Tucky.

TUCKY – By Tyrone Vickery

What I remember most about Tucky was just how genuine he was.

I remember at a point I was not playing well and Tucky pulled me aside and told me, ‘Mate I was labelled a “list clogger”, “not good enough” and a “waste of a spot”. Believe in yourself and don’t listen to the outside world.’

It stuck with me because he wasn’t naturally a super vocal leader, but he was naturally a really genuine caring person.

He wasn’t naturally someone to speak up, but he took the time for the conversation. He did this not for other people to see, but purely because he cared about how I was going and wanted to help.

RIP to a great man.

TUCKY – By Jake King
A story to sum up ‘Tucky’ happened around my first interstate game and my first real introduction into the world of Shane Tuck.

I remember when being told I’d be rooming with him, all the boys’ were looking at me with a strange look that said, ‘Thank God it’s not me!’

The night before the game everything seemed all normal and was running smoothly until ‘Tucky mode’ kicked in.

We were watching TV when Tucky decided it was late and that it was time for bed.

It wasn’t even 9.30pm.

So I said good night as did he, but what I didn’t realise was that meant ‘lights out’ – so he turned the TV off and that was it.

I’m not a good sleeper and it was about three hours earlier than when I would normally go to sleep, but respecting the older guy and being a rookie I did my best.

I ended up watching a movie in the hallway of the hotel, on my computer until 1am.

Eventually I went to sleep only to wake up at 3.00am to the sound of Tucky eating an apple – apparently a regular Tucky past time!

Thinking that’d be it, and that I’d be finally able to get some sleep, I was unpleasantly woken again at 6am to the sound of someone running and breathing heavily. I looked over half-asleep to see Tucky running on the spot.

Tucky, noticing I’d stirred, went over, turned the light on and asked, “Are you awake?”

“What do you reckon mate,” I said sarcastically.

He replied, “Yeah, grouse, me too brother, would you mind holding the (boxing) pads for me?”

I was so confused.

Once Tucky finished hitting the pads he put on his shoes, and just like Tucky did throughout his career, he left the room and when I looked out the window he was doing strides on the grass area in front of our hotel room.

I remember going to breakfast, after no sleep and with blood shot eyes, and as I walked in I remember the boys looking at me.

First it was silent, then they looked at each other and then they peeed themselves laughing and all together said, “Tucky!”

I was the last player to room with Tucky before he got his own room and thank God for that!

I love ya brother, you are and always will be a warrior and a brother to me.

Till we meet again, rest in peace.

TUCKY – By Andrew Collins
At the end of 2006, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Daniel Connors, Carl Peterson and myself were all drafted to the Richmond Football Club in the National Draft.

Daniel and I were lucky enough to be billeted with Shane and Katherine Tuck as part of our settling in process.

From the moment we lobbed at Tucky’s place, we felt as though we were part of the family.

We met Fay (Shane’s Mum) and (Shane’s Dad) Michael (Tuck) along with sister Renee at a family dinner at a pub in Abbottsford.

It was obvious from the start that the Tucks were warm, down to earth people.

When you look back on your sporting career you never forget the people that truly try to help you succeed, especially when you’re at your most vulnerable at the start of your career.

In the heat of battle, in the middle of the MCG, it’s easy enough and not uncommon to just think of yourself, but that wasn’t Tucky.

I can vividly remember Tucky saying to ‘get past him’ in games in an attempt to get me an early touch and get my confidence up. Tucky wouldn’t just say it, he’d be looking for you.

Tucky was a big brother for so many young Tigers.

Need Support? If you know someone who requires urgent assistance or support, please contact:

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467

Lifeline: 13 11 14

Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800

Emergency: 000

Support for AFL Players: If you are a current or past AFL Player and would like to know more about our specialised wellbeing and mental health services please contact the AFL Players’ Association at wellbeing@aflplayers.com.au or Tel. 03-8651 4300 (Mon to Fri, 9am – 5pm).

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/781556/our-mate-tucky

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
Hawthorn wearing black armbands.... :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Shane Tuck funeral: Heartbroken family farewells AFL star
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
Shane Tuck funeral: Heartbroken family farewells AFL star

James Matthey
JULY 29, 20206:21AM
The heartbroken family of Shane Tuck said goodbye to the former AFL star at his funeral yesterday, overcome with emotion as they honoured the footy favourite.

Tuck, the son of Hawthorn legend Michael, was farewelled at a service in Melbourne’s southeast after being found dead aged 38 last week.

Tuck’s wife Katherine paid tribute to her husband, her voice quivering as she vowed to keep his memory alive with the couple’s two children.

“I know that you have the peace and contentedness and calm that this life didn’t afford you in the end, and that your suffering has stopped and that you were so strong,” Katherine said.

“We know that your two biggest achievements were (son) Will and (daughter) Ava and I will keep your memory living on in their lives.”

Numbers at the funeral were capped because of coronavirus but there was plenty of love in the room for a man who became one of footy’s most respected players for the toughness he showed on the field, and the kindness he showed off it.

Sister Renee said: “Shane adored his mum and dad and said to me in his final days how lucky we were to have such wonderful parents, such wonderful people as our parents.

“A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hand sat rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us he only takes the best.”

Father Michael thanked everyone who had sent messages of support since Tuck’s shock death, and fought back tears as he addressed the congregation alongside Renee.

“I’d just like to thank all the people who have spoken highly of Shane,” Michael said.

“Shane was a very good boy, and I’ll miss him very, very much.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/champions/shane-tuck-funeral-heartbroken-family-farewells-afl-star/news-story/af4be1ee93f8afc88436b5b4c0b7ed67

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 09:50:09 PM »
‘Worst case I’ve seen’: Disturbing find after former AFL player’s sudden death
Joey Riordan

Published: 23/01/2021Updated: 23 January 2021 10:52 AM

Medical experts have revealed late Richmond AFL player Shane Tuck was suffering from an extremely severe case of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) before his sudden death last year.

The condition has been found in the brain of a number of former professional athletes, including AFL greats Danny Frawley and Polly Farmer, and is caused by repeated trauma to the head.

It can only be diagnosed after death and results in issues with memory and cognitive function and in most cases depression.

“It’s the worst case (of CTE) I’ve seen so far,” neuropathologist professor Michael Buckland told The Age.

“It was actually quite shocking, the degree of disease he had.”

Buckland said it was disturbing that Tuck, who died last year at 38, had the more severe case of CTE compared to Farmer and Frawley who were both considerably older when they passed away.

“Those cases span three generations of players,” Buckland said.

“What’s disturbing is that the worst case is the most recent, and also the youngest.”

Tuck, who played 173 games for Richmond, may have also sustained further brain trauma after his AFL career by undertaking a short stint in boxing.

The son of Hawthorn legend Michael Tuck fought five times at amateur level to record an impressive 5-0 record.

However his career hit a brick wall when he made the leap to the professional circuit in 2015.

He would leave his first professional fight on a stretcher after being viciously knocked out by Lucas Miller on the undercard of Anthony Mundine’s title fight against Charles Hatley.

He spent four days in hospital and later admitted he “should never have fought that night” given he copped a heavy hit to the head while sparring just 12 days earlier.

When his boxing career reached its end in 2017, Tuck began to help out at Goodwood Saints footy club, his former team in Adelaide, going on to win a premiership in the same year.

He was estranged from his wife at the time and people within the club were reportedly aware of his personal struggles in life.

Goodwood Saints president Craig Scott spoke about Tuck’s battles last year, and suggested the COVID-19 pandemic took a toll on the former Richmond player.

“A couple of people within the club were aware (of his battles) and were supporting him,” Scott told the Herald Sun.

“COVID was terrible because it just isolates people so much.”

The sad revelations came after Shane’s father Michael opened up on his son’s death and explained he couldn’t admit he had a problem.

“He was a big, strong kid and he just had a few issues and he couldn’t get rid of them and that was the only way out,” Michael told the Herald Sun.

“A lot of men think they’re alright and they’re actually not, and the best help they can get is telling people actually how bad they are, and not saying, ‘I’m alright, I’m alright’.

“It was a bit like that (with Shane), he kept it all in because he was a tough, strong man. But you’ve got to show… it’s not a weakness, it’s just to express yourself with honesty and don’t try to cover up things.

“He didn’t mean anything by it, he just couldn’t admit he had a real bad problem.”

If you or someone you know is in need of crisis or suicide prevention support, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit www.lifeline.org.au.

For further information about depression contact beyondblue on 1300224636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/worst-case-ive-seen-disturbing-find-after-afl-players-sudden-death-c-2014178

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
Bloody terrible.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
Tuck: I told Shane not to do ‘anything stupid’

Hawthorn champion Michael Tuck has spoken about the heartbreaking last night he spent with his son who was found to be suffering from a concussion-related brain injury.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shane-tuck-hawthorns-afl-legend-michael-tuck-talks-about-late-sons-concussion-battle/news-story/5c2eb25e659184104775635dd7cb9234

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2021, 08:06:17 AM »
He must have been battling hard and suffering because on the football field he was first one you want to take to battle with.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Shattered AFL legend whose footy star son died after battle with severe mental illness reveals the heartbreaking final night the pair spent together and the last words they shared

- Shane Tuck was suffering from a degenerative brain disease before his death
- The 38-year-old AFL star died July 2020 and his brain was donated for research
- Tuck played 173 games for Richmond between 2004 and 2013, kicking 74 goals
- He is the third AFL player diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy
- Post-mortem revealed the worst case of CTE ever diagnosed in a VFL-AFL player
- Father Michael Tuck opens up about the last few moments he spent with his son

By ZOE ZACZEK and OLIVIA DAY
DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
18 February 2021

Hawthorn legend Michael Tuck has shared the heartbreaking last moments he shared with his footy star son before he took his own life.

AFL star Shane Tuck was suffering from a severe case of degenerative brain disease before his shock death rocked the footy world in July last year.

Michael Tuck said Shane expressed his love for his parents in his final hours, during an emotional interview on the You Cannot Be Serious podcast, the Herald Sun reported.

Tuck lived with his parents during the last 18 months of his life and continually told them 'he didn't feel like himself'.

His mother Fay said Tuck was intelligent enough to know there was something wrong with his brain.

Tuck said the family had a few documents that indicate Shane's health was declining in 2012, well before he began his boxing career in 2015.

Mr Tuck said he and his wife tried to help their son while he was alive, but said Shane had known his condition was worse than what he had shared with his parents.

'I'll be honest with you, the night before he did "the business", or the morning, or whatever it was, he came up and hugged me and Fay, and said "I love you Mum" and "I love you Dad",' he said.

Michael Tuck said he pleaded with his son not to do anything he would regret on the night before his death, just six months ago.

'I just said to him "Don't you do anything stupid". I meant that in a loving kind of way,' he said.

Mr Tuck said he and Fay checked on their son at different periods throughout the night.

'We checked on him at three o'clock in the morning … and found him about eight in the morning gone.'

Mr Tuck said he doesn't think his family will ever get over the tragic death of their talented son, saying life will always feel a little bit different.

The 38-year-old is the third AFL player to be diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), with the condition only able to be identified after death.

Tuck's brain was donated by his parents to the Australian Sports Brain Bank for research, who found the former Richmond player had Stage Three, borderline Stage Four, CTE.

The post-mortem revealed the talented sportsman had the worst case of CTE ever detected in a VFL-AFL footballer.

'It's the worst case I've seen so far,' neuropathologist professor Michael Buckland told The Age.

'It was actually quite shocking, the degree of disease he had.' 

The diagnosis reportedly gave his wife Katherine, known to friends as Kat, and their two children some kind of solace. 

The condition, which can cause depression and suicidal thoughts, is linked to repeated head knocks and concussions.

Tuck, who played 173 games for Richmond between 2004 and 2013 and kicked 74 goals, died after succumbing to a long battle with mental illness.

The father-of-two's death followed the passing of AFL great Danny 'Spud' Frawley who died when his car slammed into a tree near Ballarat, Victoria, on September 9, 2019.

The 56-year-old had been vocal about his battle with depression in the lead up to his death and his loved ones had noticed a change in his behaviour.

It was later found that Frawley had Stage Two CTE.

Graham 'Polly' Farmer was the first AFL player to be diagnosed with CTE in February last year.

The 84-year-old died in August 2019 after battling Alzheimer's.

'Those cases span three generations of players. What's disturbing is that the worst case is the most recent, and also the youngest,' Prof Buckland said.

At Tuck's funeral, his wife Kat said the AFL star's biggest achievements were his children, Ava and Will.

'I know you have the peace and contentedness and calm that this life did not afford you ... and that your suffering has stopped and that you were so strong,' Mrs Tuck said.

'We know that your two biggest achievements were Will and Ava, and I will keep your memory living on in their lives.'

Tuck debuted for Richmond in 2004 and retired from the game in 2013, before a boxing stint in 2015.

He is the son of former AFL record holder Michael Tuck, who was a seven-time premiership-winning player for the Hawks.

The degenerative brain disease has been known to affect boxers since the 1920s but has been found in other sports in recent years. 

The first official case in another sport was an American NFL player in 2005. Other sports followed, including ice hockey, soccer and rugby union.

Researchers rely on the donation of dead athletes in their attempts to understand CTE. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9269943/Michael-Tuck-shares-moments-son-Shane-night-took-life.html