Author Topic: Vale Shane Tuck  (Read 18255 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Vale Shane Tuck
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »
He got his head absolutely caved in boxing on multiple occasions

Who can determine what blame lies with Richmond and what was the result of being punch drunk

HATE agreeing with Dio, but he’s spot on

His brain was deemed ok to fight in a licensed bout
didn't he win every bout with the exception of being knocked out once?

Pretty laughable trying to argue a bloke as hard as Tucky would have gotten his CTE post footy
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2021, 06:56:19 AM »

Who can determine what blame lies with Richmond and what was the result of being punch drunk

Pretty laughable trying to argue a bloke as hard as Tucky would have gotten his CTE post footy

I don't think anyone is suggesting that him having CTE was caused solely by boxing but I don't think you can blame it solely on football either.

Surely after multiple concussions on the football field and then getting smashed in the boxing ring both have contributed?

It just seems that the boxing gets lost in the discussion here and I agree with Dio and Damo, the impact of the boxing shouldn't be dismissed and should also be looked at, considered and discussed.

And for one cannot remember Tuck ever winning a professional fight
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2021, 08:06:08 AM »

I think he got knocked the F out on his DEBUT fight?

Also, how many AFL concussions did he have?

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »

Pretty laughable to suggest boxing didn’t have an impact.
Have you seen the knockout he copped. As well as the pounding he copped in the drawn fight.

Even if you say it’s 70% footy, 30% boxing, or whatever random number someone else could come up with …. Good luck proving it either way

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers defend doctors from ‘inflammatory allegations’ made in Tuck hearing

Peter Ryan
The Age
October 20, 2021 — 12.57pm

Richmond have taken exception to comments made in the Coroners Court on Tuesday, by the lawyer of Shane Tuck’s widow, about the medical treatment Tuck received in his 173-game career with the Tigers.

Chief executive Brendon Gale defended the medical care Tuck received during his 10 years as a senior player at the club between 2004-2013 after Greg Griffin, acting for Katherine Tuck, said it was a concern that the State Coroner, Judge John Cain, was intending to focus only on current and future guidelines around concussion rather than the specifics of Tuck’s treatment.

“The widow would be asking [the coronial inquest] to investigate specific examples on how her husband was able to be so poorly and badly medically treated by those doctors involved at Richmond who allowed him to continue to play with numerous concussions,” Griffin said on Tuesday at the hearing.

Richmond were angered by what they described as “inflammatory allegations” directed at their medical team.

“We feel compelled to defend the highly professional medical staff that managed Shane Tuck throughout his career in the wake of the inflammatory allegations made at a coronial investigation today,” Gale said in a club statement released on Tuesday night.

“We are appalled at the suggestion our medical staff acted in a negligent or unethical way. We stand behind those medical staff who acted to the highest professional standards, and in the best interests of Shane during his career.”

Griffin did not persuade Judge Cain to change course with the state coroner making it clear he did not consider it appropriate for the court to examine Tuck’s treatment in detail.

“I think what you are seeking to do is to invite me to apportion blame in relation to what occurred. That’s not my role, frankly,” Cain said.

“I understand the concerns that Mrs Tuck has. I understand the concern that people have about that issue ... I am not inclined to embark on an exercise that involves me apportioning blame as you are seeking there as to what Richmond Football Club should or shouldn’t have done.

“The greater utility in my role comes from ensuring to the extent I can that both for boxing and football and I guess any other contact sports that there are appropriate regimes in place to ensure that the current participants are given the greatest protection possible and information about what may or may not have happened in the past is, of course, relevant, but what is particularly relevant is what people do now.”

Richmond had legal representation at the directions hearing, as did the AFL and the AFL Players Association, with the Tigers’ lawyer Sam Stafford telling the Coroner’s Court that “my client respectfully agrees with the course chosen by your honour and the reasons outlined by your honour”.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-defend-doctors-from-inflammatory-allegations-made-in-tuck-hearing-20211020-p591jv.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:37 PM »
Widow releases alarming video of Tuck’s footy head knocks

Footage of head knocks suffered by late Tiger Shane Tuck during his AFL career has been released. After poring over Shane Tuck’s 173-game career, lawyers for his widow have uncovered shocking footage of repeated head knocks suffered by the late Tiger.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shane-tuck-cte-case-lawyers-release-more-than-seven-minutes-of-footage-of-head-knocks-suffered-by-the-late-tiger/news-story/b7d4e02dc0e36df241e9b88712fe23a2

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2021, 08:03:10 PM »
Paywall. Footage available anywhere?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2021, 05:30:38 AM »
Paywall. Footage available anywhere?
Not from the above HeraldSun link but there's footage of some of Tuck's collisions here:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=200082505499495

The one they are apparently concentrating on is the Round 22, 2010 game against Port Adelaide [Go to 1:50 min mark].

No AFL concussion rules or protocols back then. Unless completely knocked out, players were sent back onto the ground after being concussed.

------------

As for his boxing career .... eek!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1228295/Former-AFL-player-Shane-Tuck-brutally-knocked-boxing-debut.html

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2021, 10:10:11 AM »
He copped a massive hit in that bout.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
Lawyers sniffing a payday, have they poured over the footage of his football before he came to Richmond?

Unless they can prove our doctors didn't follow protocol at the time then they will be pushing uphill.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2021, 12:38:56 PM »
There's no evidence that any 'specific' incident, or amount of incidents, is what causes the CTE.

For all we know it could be 0% footy and 100% boxing.

This is lawyers/wife looking for money now that he's gone and they might be an amount to go away. That's it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘He wasn’t mentally unwell’: Shane Tuck’s sister reveals cause of former Tigers star’s tragic death

Fox Sports
August 25th, 2022

Former Richmond star Shane Tuck died as a result of brain disease, not poor mental health, according to his sister Renee.

The footy world was shocked in 2020 by the news of Shane’s sudden passing at the age of just 38.

The son of Hawthorn legend Michael had played 173 games for the Tigers across 10 seasons before retiring in 2013.

After his death, Shane’s brain was donated to the Brain Bank, an organisation founded by Dr Michael Buckland who is a renowned neuropathologist.

Dr Buckland researches chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a brain disease which can only be diagnosed post-mortem, by examining the build-up of a brain protein known as tau.

Buckland was taken aback by what he saw when he examined Shane’s brain.

“Shane‘s brain was the worst I’d ever seen in terms of pure CTE, and that came as a real shock,” Dr Buckland told the ABC.

“In fact, when the scientist handed me the microscope to look [at the brain], I didn‘t even need the microscope to see the accumulation of tau.

“He was a young man, and to see that level of disease was quite shocking.”

Renee said that only a few years after Shane had retired, he told her he was hearing voices, “and they weren‘t very nice.” His personality changed dramatically.

“Shane wasn‘t a mentally unwell guy, he was a go-getter,” she said.

“He didn‘t suffer anxiety and depression and he loved life, he lived it to the full, [just like] how he played his football.

“When he said there were some things going on, I was very concerned because I knew him well enough to know this is not him.”

Renee was relieved to learn of Dr Buckland’s findings.

“He wasn‘t mentally unwell, and it was a diseased brain that had been dying on him,” she said.

“It just helped us unbelievably so, because it just made so much sense and that‘s been very helpful in our healing and moving forward.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-shane-tuck-dead-cause-of-death-former-richmond-player-concussion-battle-mental-health-court-case-lawsuit/news-story/d66a7ddcc028d0043d2ae30ebcf9aa00

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2022, 06:46:31 PM »
Coronial investigation into death of ex-AFL player Shane Tuck delayed

By Tara Cosoleto
Nine
7 October 2022

A coronial investigation into the death of ex-AFL player Shane Tuck has been delayed by an independent review of work by the league's former concussion expert.

Tuck, who played 173 games for the Tigers and later turned to professional boxing, died in 2020 aged 38 after an increasingly severe battle with his mental health.

An autopsy found he had severe chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain condition that can only be diagnosed after death.

Fellow prominent AFL players Danny Frawley and Graham "Polly" Farmer were also diagnosed with the condition. The Victorian coroner is investigating the link between concussions from repeated head knocks and lasting brain injuries, as well as guidelines in the AFL and boxing to protect players' heads.

But the inquiry has been delayed as the court awaits the findings from an independent review into former AFL concussion adviser Associate Professor Paul McCrory.

The AFL launched the external review in March, with a group of lawyers and medical professionals assessing Prof McCrory's work, research and the advice he gave to the league. The review's report should be finalised and handed to the coroner in the coming weeks, AFL solicitor Ben Ihle KC told the Coroners Court on Friday.

It is understood the review revealed adverse findings against two people so the inquiry needed to give those parties time to respond, Mr Ihle said.

Other reports and statements from the AFL, the Richmond Football Club, Monash Health and other relevant parties have already been provided to the court.

Greg Griffin, the lawyer representing Tuck's widow, argued the court should also view game footage of the Richmond player.

But State Coroner Judge John Cain said it would not be necessary as the court was investigating the broader issue of concussion and concussion guidelines in sport.

The coroner also turned down Mr Griffin's request for the AFL to pay for his client's costs, saying it was only granted in extraordinary circumstances.

Friday's hearing was adjourned with no next date fixed.

An inquest is scheduled to run for two weeks in July next year.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers-player-shane-tuck-death-cte-coronial-investigation-delayed/608e9829-6096-4f7d-b6f3-00234825f0f7

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
Tuck lawyers call for AFL funding in coronial hearing

Jon Pierik
The Age
18 October 2022

Lawyers representing the widow of former Richmond footballer Shane Tuck have called on the AFL to fund her case in the Coroners Court of Victoria as she seeks an explanation for her husband’s death.

Greg Griffin, counsel for Tuck, said the ongoing case before state coroner John Cain had cost “hundreds of thousands of dollars”, and that was before a potential public inquest, slated for next year, had begun.

Griffin questioned why the AFL was likely to cover the legal costs of the five families involved in racism allegations against Hawthorn, but would not help Tuck in a case that could have major ramifications for the league.

A submission has been put to the AFL that for the five families involved in the Hawks’ racism case to participate in hearings on an equal footing with the accused, the league must cover all legal costs.

Tuck died by suicide in 2020, and was posthumously diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a brain degeneration probably caused by repeated head traumas.

“I made the submission to the AFL that it should state its position, as it is doing for the Hawthorn investigation into Indigenous issues, that it would meet the legal costs of Ms Tuck. The response from senior counsel of the AFL was absolute, that there was no prospect of the AFL funding in any way Ms Tuck’s legal fees,” Griffin told The Age.

“This is after the coroner has set dates aside for what could be a 14-day hearing in the coroners court – a 14-day hearing which does not even address the issues of great concern to the widow, that being who is responsible for the death of Shane Tuck.

“Shane Tuck when he died had stage four CTE. Had he not gone and played for Richmond, he undoubtedly would be alive today.

“I think the AFL is very happy to announce its $4.5 billion broadcast deal, but is completely and utterly opposed to ... funding the cost of those who cannot afford to meet their own.

“Having said that, it is prepared to throw whatever funds it needs to at the Hawthorn inquiry, while leaving the widow of Shane Tuck, because she does not play by their rules, to meet her own costs.

“Do you think at the end of this the AFL will build a Shane Tuck concussion centre at Punt Rd? It will not because Kath Tuck dared to know who is responsible for the death of her husband.”

The AFL has been represented in court by Ben Ihle, KC. The league did not wish to comment when contacted.

The Tuck inquest has been delayed as Judge Cain awaits an independent report commissioned by the AFL into the research and medical work of its former concussion adviser Paul McCrory.

Counsel assisting Cain, Gideon Boas, said in court on October 7 that the report was expected to examine matters including the medical advice and treatment players may have received and what guidelines and protocols were in place.

Cain is also awaiting the outcomes of an international concussion conference, to be held in Amsterdam at the end of the month.

However, Cain infuriated the Tuck family and Griffin when he declared last year that he would not use the case to determine the “sins of the past”. Rather, he said his brief was to primarily focus on prevention.

Tuck played 173 games with the Tigers between 2004-13 and had a brief boxing career after he retired. The coronial inquiry is ongoing.

Griffin is also working towards a class action against the AFL for concussion and head-related trauma, and again scoffed at suggestions impacted players would settle should the AFL introduce a multi-million dollar compensation fund. Prominent lawyer Peter Gordon has been tasked by the AFL to examine how a fund would work.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/magpies-delist-trio-lawyers-for-tuck-family-call-for-afl-funding-20221018-p5bqmd.html

Broadsword

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2022, 03:31:46 PM »
Agree they should fund it. Spare change for the corporate AFL.