Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 268594 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
State of Umpiring [merged]
« on: June 20, 2004, 02:27:33 AM »
I have always felt the standard of umpiring has slipped dramatically the past few years but tonight took the cake. That third quarter was an absolute joke. We were laughing our heads off. The poor orange sods couldn't get one decision correct. Luckily the frees went our way mostly.

The holding the ball rule no longer exists. You can have the ball for ages, take on half the opposition, get tackled and when the ball spills loose it's called play-on  ???
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:40:32 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

Re: Standard of Umpiring
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 11:04:16 AM »
Umpiring was very poor, there were some trival frees paid to both teams

froars

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 11:12:31 AM »
Don't know how many we got in the third - but at one stage we had 12 - the highest amount of frees for any team this season.  And we got a few more after that stage.

Talking of stats - when stafford marked in the 2nd quarter and goaled.  That was the second mark in the fwd 50 up to that stage of the game - abysmal.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 12:29:12 PM »
55 fress for the game - in our favour 35 to 20.

I watched the repay of the last half when I got home. In between port and chocolates I think they said the free count in the third was something 16 to the tigers and 1 to Carlton.

It was a joke - hence why I spent so much time laughing. No holding the ball, push in the backs paid when they were fair bumps - it's supposed to be a tough game after last night - yeah right

And BTW I think Fevola maybe in a lot of strife over Brown going down - looks bad.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 03:37:25 PM »
They're kidding.

This current crop of umpires is as bad as their coach and mentor,Geischen.

Put the yamuka back on Geoff,you;re a joke.

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 04:53:44 PM »
the Umpires association wants to send Geish back to tigerland, lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 07:20:10 PM »
Umpiring especially in that first half was pathetic today :banghead.

How the hell did Shane Parker gets awarded frees when he had his back to the play and wasn't even looking at the ball pushing Richo  ???. What a joke! Back to the bush for Umpire Grum  ::).

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dumb Umpiring
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 01:35:46 PM »
Umpiring especially in that first half was pathetic today :banghead.

Umpires what umpires? Those blokes in red? I thought they just warming up in first half so they could umpire the Auskick games ;D

What about Pavlich's 50m penalty. Takes a mark sooks to the umpire and get 50. It was like watching Matthew Lloyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 02:33:25 PM »
What about Pavlich's 50m penalty. Takes a mark sooks to the umpire and get 50. It was like watching Matthew Lloyd

That happened right in front of me. Pavlich took the mark but the footy spilled onto the ground as he and Razor fell to the ground. Pavlich went to scoop the ball up and play on while Hall was on the ground but Razor reached out and held the footy where it was. Umpire then gives 50 to Pavlich  ???. The members weren't too happy  :rollin. Natural justice came into the play anyway when he missed the goal. Suffer!  ;D

The other one was the ridiculous push in the back free paid to Farmer after he had about half an hour to dispose of the ball trying to take us on  :banghead.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »
Both of these decisions right in front of me as well and just the most ludicrous crap I have ever seen.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 02:43:37 PM »
The 50 m penalty was ordinary, but i actually agreed with the Farmer one as the tiger player actually cannoned into his back.  The free paid against Richo was a disgrace because not only was it not a free against Richo it was actually a free for him as Parker wasn't looking at the ball and made contact with him.  Got no idea what the free was for because Richo made no contact with him.  
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Umpiring
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 12:21:28 AM »
This probably belongs in the McLaren thread but we got absolutely screwed tonight by the other 2 clowns also tonight. If a Tiger fell on the ball it was holding the ball but if a Saint did the same thing it was a ball-up. The we had Riewoldt the protected specie while Richo gets continually dragged back by the shoulder and no free. Disgraceful :banghead. A Saitns fan at quarter time says to me you got 5 frees to 1. Yeah but that one was in front of goal while all ours were in defence  ::).

And what happened when Will went off. Rainesy had possession before the game was stopped then the idiots say it's a ball-up 50m out from the Saints goal. If that's the rule then it's a joke; if it's not then that's plain cheating  >:(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Umpiring?what does he have to do
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
I was actualky going to start a whole new thread devoted to Richo being crucified by the umpires.

Seriously what does the man have to do to get a free kick?  :banghead

Gehrig gets a free in the first (quite rightly it's the rule btw) for having his arms chopped and being touched - Richo gets held and we get play on -  :banghead :banghead give me a break will ya.

Hello Geish and your band of merry green snots - let me spell it for you C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y - that's all we want

And to make matters worse

The question becomes even more important when in the final quarter Simmonds got a free kick directly in front for being held :banghead

That happended to Richo on at least 6-7 occassions and what did the umpires do ??? :help

Flap their arms like lunatics and call "play on" - can we get fair dinkum here or what. If the bloody free quick is there it should be paid no matter who the player is.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Umpiring
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 02:51:54 AM »
Maybe Richo needs to change his name by deed poll to Matty Lloyd or Nick Riewoldt and get an extreme pretty boy makeover ::).

I still don't understand after Thursty went was stretchered off why it was a ball up when we had possession when the game was stopped ???.

As you say WP what we want is consistency and umpires who make decisions in the spirit of the game. Penalising us like that was just utter crap.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Umpiring
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 11:56:55 AM »
And what about Simmonds having his mark (in front of goal btw) taken off him. The ball was within 5 metres and he only used his body (cause his arms were in the air) to bump his opponent sideways and yet he was free kicked. The saints ended up scoring a goal from that passage of play. Wonder if it made a difference to the score...hmmm let me see, no shot on goal for us and a goal for them - 12 point turnaraound in a game we lost by 1 points.

Along with you MT, I'm still flabbergasted that they bounced the ball after Thursty was taken off when we had clear possession when the game was stopped.....NOT HAPPY...... :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead