Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 268647 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1710 on: May 15, 2021, 10:40:48 PM »
What was that new rule that was invented for that free kick against balta 10m out from goal???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1711 on: May 15, 2021, 10:42:07 PM »
Umps and especially Deboy booed off and rightly so.

Didn't pay HTB for 3 qtrs and then we cop them in the last ::).

Richmond players don't have heads either apparently for too high frees ::).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1712 on: May 15, 2021, 11:42:41 PM »
Maintained the standard tonight.

Brilliant performances   :clapping :clapping

:sarcasm2
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1713 on: May 16, 2021, 01:13:14 AM »
seriously just when i thought it couldnt get worse, well the flogs proved me wrong

They are a disgrace

Its only HTB when it suits them and usually when its a free against us

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1714 on: May 16, 2021, 05:44:39 AM »
Shocking has stuffed the game and turned the umps against us.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1715 on: May 17, 2021, 08:22:38 PM »
Missed calls infuriated fans as free kick numbers varied wildly over the weekend. See the numbers - and the AFL's explanation, via @RalphyHeraldSun:

The AFL did not instruct its umpires to pay a different holding-the-ball interpretation in Round 9 despite wildly divergent free kick tallies paid ...

Paywall: https:www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-afl-not-responsible-for-wildly-different-holdingtheball-numbers/news-story/88e6f6a8ba0c0e24b5a644fa442bef36

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1716 on: May 17, 2021, 09:26:42 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1717 on: May 18, 2021, 07:49:15 AM »
I rewatched the game and counted only one holding the ball free paid to us all night (against Whitfield in the last quarter). GWS were paid 5 HTBs (against Baker x2, Mansell, RCD and Graham).

So across a whole match that's just ONE HTB free from our 69 tackles (1.5%) on the night :facepalm ::).

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1718 on: May 18, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »
Does anyone think the way we play is partly to blame at all for the differential ?

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1719 on: May 18, 2021, 08:35:46 AM »
Does anyone think the way we play is partly to blame at all for the differential ?

No, I think it's bulldust personally.

Few babies out there saying we scrag a lot off the ball and edge forwards under the drop etc but I don't agree

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1720 on: May 18, 2021, 07:22:00 PM »
Frees against are mostly our own fault but the lowest frees for is not our doing. We don't control an ump's whistle.

It could be argued our pressure & tackling gamestyle can cross the line at times and cost us frees against. But if that's the case it should also result in more frees for us for HTB/illegal disposal. That's not happening. There was a play on the weekend where we had 3 tackles in a row with Giants players dropping the ball that weren't rewarded yet the Baker was pinged seconds later for HTB.

All we ask for is consistency for all sides. That isn't happening in games and between games.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1721 on: May 19, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
Umpiring atm is as bad as I have ever seen it. Umps looked totally overwhelmed with the complexity of decision making/interpretation.
No wonder Kennedy left.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1722 on: May 19, 2021, 01:20:04 PM »
Like I said. Get rid of prior opportunity and more than half of the umpiring issues are solved.

Player chooses to take possession of the ball and doesn’t get rid of it legally - fee kick.

Easy. Watch footy prior to ‘96, like the Rich v Ess semi final ‘95 or any game in ‘95 you will see less stoppages and more free flowing footy because there was no prior opportunity rule and players were paid free kicks when they tackled someone.

Did Dimma give you a call Tigeritis?

He said exactly the same thing at his presser this morning, get rid of prior opportunity  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1723 on: May 19, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
Like I said. Get rid of prior opportunity and more than half of the umpiring issues are solved.

Player chooses to take possession of the ball and doesn’t get rid of it legally - fee kick.

Easy. Watch footy prior to ‘96, like the Rich v Ess semi final ‘95 or any game in ‘95 you will see less stoppages and more free flowing footy because there was no prior opportunity rule and players were paid free kicks when they tackled someone.

Did Dimma give you a call Tigeritis?

He said exactly the same thing at his presser this morning, get rid of prior opportunity  :clapping
No he didn’t. But you know what they say about great minds  :lol

I haven’t seen it but Im keen to watch it now.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1724 on: May 19, 2021, 02:49:51 PM »
Get rid of prior opportunity rule. It’s too open to interpretation. Footy survived without it for hundreds of years.
I think it causes all these issues. No call for holding the ball. No call for dropping the ball (incorrect disposal). No calls for ball seemingly falling out of hands when tackled. All because the umpire is trying to ascertain prior opportunity. If prior opportunity doesn’t exist all these are free kicks and the ball is moving again and stoppage is avoided (ball up avoided). Increased speed means more tired players means more open games means more goals scored and a return to mid 90’s footy and pre-prior opportunity rule introduction (1996)

Currently if your a forward and your running after the ball with the defender the forward is encouraged not to possess the ball but to wait for the defender to get possession so the forward can tackle to create a stoppage the defender doesn’t mind because if there’s no prior he won’t get pinged.
This happens time and time again and we get multiple stoppages.

Get rid of Prior opportunity players and clubs will adapt to it. Good players already do and know how to get rid of the footy they are already good at it because they are ball getters and are elite.

If a player decides to possess the ball he must dispose of it properly otherwise he will think of different ways to make it work as we have seen countless times by Dusty. The great players are already doing it because they are ball winners.

Even on Friday night we saw Rioli tap the ball into space and run onto it creating a nice passage of attacking footy. We would see more of that type of thing.

A lot of problems would be solved and umpires would love to be able to just call it as it is.

#getridofprioropportinity
This was my first recent post about it and I think Hardwick articulated it perfectly too.
I heard them say that Fagin had also mentioned it.
I’m ready to start an AFL revolution  ✊🏽 Let’s all get behind this.

#getridofprioropportinity
The club that keeps giving.