Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 366576 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2190 on: June 09, 2022, 09:59:50 PM »
I went to game, don't get to too many as from regional Vic.  Left at half time. The game is almost unwatchable. 

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2191 on: June 09, 2022, 10:00:31 PM »
I actually thought we got some very soft ones are way which setup goals for us. Bad for both teams

I actually thought we were very lucky with some as well

Broadsword

« Reply #2192 on: June 09, 2022, 10:05:30 PM »
I went to game, don't get to too many as from regional Vic.  Left at half time. The game is almost unwatchable.
Somehow the AFL has managed to coopt the media into saying nothing about it.

It's all supporters talk about as far as I can tell, but judging from all "the boys" on TV the game has never been better!

I agree. It stinks. It is unwatchable. Watching footy used to be a relaxing leisure activity on the weekend. Now it makes me feel like everything in the world sucks. I HATE watching the football. I only put up with it to watch Richmond, but I'm thinking I might switch to radio coverage from now on.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2193 on: June 09, 2022, 11:10:52 PM »
Watching the replay.  Jack G goal in the 1st.  10mtre rule.  The Port player was no where near him and 50. 

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2194 on: June 09, 2022, 11:33:40 PM »

It's all supporters talk about as far as I can tell, but judging from all "the boys" on TV the game has never been better!

I agree. It stinks. It is unwatchable. Watching footy used to be a relaxing leisure activity on the weekend. Now it makes me feel like everything in the world sucks. I HATE watching the football. I only put up with it to watch Richmond, but I'm thinking I might switch to radio coverage from now on.
So true.
I was talking tonight to a rugby league fan and I told him AFL pinnacle was around mid 90’s and now it’s crap hardly watch a game other than Richmond games.

He said Rugby league was currently the best it’s ever been.

I actually enjoy watching NRL too but it’s a sad state of affairs when AFL is frustratingly crap to watch.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2195 on: June 09, 2022, 11:42:17 PM »
Tonight's game was one of the worst for over-umpiring I have ever seen!  Nearly every contest was settled by the umpires with a soft or stupid free kick.  It really was netball on grass, I was waiting for the call of 'stepping'.  The overly protective umpiring ruins the game by taking away it's flow, I don't care that we won a free kick count (for once), I'm just totally dismayed by what is being done to our great game.     :P
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2196 on: June 10, 2022, 05:39:03 AM »
With Baker's overturned goal why wasn't the 'edge' technology used when it was used earlier for the Port goal that was reviewed?

I was at the game and no one around me had a clue why it given a point from the angles on the scoreboard (we had no sound either so couldn't hear the umps). Apparently, the goal umpire said it initially was a goal. I haven't seen a replay yet. Was it obviously shown not to be a goal on TV?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2197 on: June 10, 2022, 06:25:15 AM »
With Baker's overturned goal why wasn't the 'edge' technology used when it was used earlier for the Port goal that was reviewed?

I was at the game and no one around me had a clue why it given a point from the angles on the scoreboard (we had no sound either so couldn't hear the umps). Apparently, the goal umpire said it initially was a goal. I haven't seen a replay yet. Was it obviously shown not to be a goal on TV?

Mate it's farcical they make it up as they go worse then bush league.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2198 on: June 10, 2022, 08:06:35 AM »
It CLEARLY deflected off the post .. no doubt whatsoever

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2199 on: June 10, 2022, 09:15:59 AM »

Thats what I cant get, why are the media silent over it, I reckon the AFL have issued ultimatums to them or somehow made it know their will be repercussions

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2200 on: June 10, 2022, 09:27:52 AM »

I think you've I'll find "the edge" technology doesn't work or is attached to the padding of the post

Anyway...

Another stunning performance by the umps.

The game is no longer the game i grew up loving.

The game is stuffed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2201 on: June 10, 2022, 05:04:34 PM »
Tried to call the AFL today, cant get through.

Message just tells you to call the number you just called, waste of time.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2202 on: June 10, 2022, 05:21:57 PM »

Yeah it deflected so wasn’t needed.

BUT...........

As the ball was in the air the ump blew his whistle to pay a free to Gibgus for a hold.

Why wasn’t he given a shot after they deemed the ball hit the post?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2203 on: June 10, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »

I think you've I'll find "the edge" technology doesn't work or is attached to the padding of the post

Anyway...

The game is stuffed

x2
The club that keeps giving.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2204 on: June 10, 2022, 09:59:39 PM »

Anyway...

The game is stuffed

That it is….