Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 268522 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2580 on: June 02, 2023, 01:34:14 PM »
"I reckon players might be cottoning on to this, and starting to play a bit possum."

- Jack Riewoldt thinks some players are starting to play for dangerous tackle free kicks.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1664204659886792708

‘Playing possum’: AFL stars ’looking for frees’ amid dangerous tackle ban claims Tigers great

Jono Baruch
Fox Sports
June 2, 2023

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt believes players are starting to “play a bit possum” to win a free kick in the wake of the AFL’s dangerous tackle crackdown this season.

The dangerous tackle was on the agenda once again this week after four players contested tackles they were cited and received bans for at the AFL Tribunal this week.

Sydney’s Luke Parker and Fremantle’s Jaeger O’Meara became the 17th and 18th players respectively to be suspended for dangerous tackles this season but Carlton’s Adam Cerra and Adelaide’s Rory Laird were successful in beating their charges.

Speaking on Fox Footy‘s AFL 360 Plus, Riewoldt believes that there are “some clear cut ones” that players know have no place in the game anymore, but echoed the sentiment of Geelong coach Chris Scott – who recently said the Tribunal’s instructions on how to tackle were “very confusing”.

“There’s definitely an element of confusion about it,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“There’s clear cut ones, Nathan Broad’s tackle against Adelaide probably set the agenda for dangerous tackles being put back up in the microscope.

“We’re seeing these one-weekers now that are cropping up and you’re thinking that could be a dangerous tackle. I think slinging, dumping, dropping of the body weight is probably what the tribunal is looking at and what the match review officer is looking at.”

Riewoldt believes that players are using the knowledge that the umpires are looking for high contact and lowering their body position in order to win free kicks.

“I reckon players might be cottoning on to this, and starting to play a bit possum,” he said.

“I reckon players are looking for free kicks. As we’ve seen the high contact in tackles has become prevalent over the last decade of AFL. Now players will take advantage of how to get a free kick. Maybe it is just going limp a little bit and dropping down?

“It’s hard to see why some are being penalised with a week, even a free kick and some aren’t.”

St Kilda Hall of Famer Leigh Montagna said that upon looking at the four tackles that were to be contested at the tribunal this week he thought that there would be a chance that “this would be the first time some players would get off”.

Montagna believed that the game had “gone too far” the other way in penalising the outcome and was happy to see a correction the other way.

“I’m glad that they took them all the cases to the tribunal so we can all get a better understanding of what you can and can’t do,” he said.

“At the start of the year it was pretty clear, if you dump, drive or sling and the player gets hurt, you are going to be suspended.

“I felt this weekend we probably went too far. It was simply a case of if you lay a tackle and the player hits their head, you are going to be suspended and I didn’t necessarily agree with that.

“From where we’ve come from, we probably went a little bit too far that every tackle where a player hit their head they get suspended but I felt like we’ve come back a little bit to go, there’s got to be some sort of danger behind it to miss a week.

“I thought that there would be a chance that this would be the first time some players would get off.

“As a player you should now be able to understand, if it’s dangerous and there is a driving, dumping or slinging motion you are in trouble, but there is an element for momentum in a tackle, and if you try and take care, you should be let off.”

Riewoldt believes that the dangerous tackle debate is a “watch this space” at the end of the year as the players continue to seek clarity on what is legal and what isn’t.

“I think there will be a real big shake-up and hopefully for the playing group going forward, for AFL and AFLW there will be just a little bit more clarity on what it does look like,“ he said.

“I think this is a watch this space at the end of the year.

“I think there will be a real big shake-up and hopefully for the playing group going forward, for AFL and AFLW there will be just a little bit more clarity on what it does look like.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-afl-360-jack-riewoldt-leigh-montagna-afl-tribunal-dangerous-tackles/news-story/5bbbd8f354b7719122744fd6345b7d79

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2581 on: June 02, 2023, 02:26:56 PM »
50m penalties conceded in 2023 so far

Fremantle          15
Gold Coast         14
Port Adelaide      13
St Kilda              13
Geelong             11
North Melbourne 11
Richmond          11
Adelaide            10
Collingwood       10
Essendon          10
Sydney             10
Carlton              9
Hawthorn           9
Melbourne          9
Western Bulldogs 9
West Coast         8
Brisbane            7
GWS                 5

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-afl-clubs-and-players-that-are-conceding-the-most-50m-penalties-in-2023-138161/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2582 on: June 04, 2023, 04:26:51 PM »
Just 10 frees to us for a whole match and only 4 after half-time. That's just two per quarter. Must be the way we play or the opposition are saints who can do no wrong ::).

The Club needs to send a "please explain" to the umpiring dept. As usual it's the obvious frees we don't get that are the issue. The missed head high contacts/tackles on Tiger players and clear non-HTB decisions that don't reward our tackles. The Umps today just refused to pay us clear free kicks. Absolutely woeful officiating! :thumbsdown
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2583 on: June 04, 2023, 04:34:52 PM »
Matt Stevic hates us the campaigner that he is

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2584 on: June 04, 2023, 04:43:05 PM »
It was below par today, well it's below par every week but Stevic was awful today :banghead 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2585 on: June 04, 2023, 05:36:55 PM »
I was at the game, yes there were howlers worst being the none HTB against Whitfield but overall didn't think they were that bad
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2586 on: June 04, 2023, 07:59:12 PM »
Grimes appeared to be taken high but it results in a Giants free kick. Was this adjudicated correctly?

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1665218931706183680

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2587 on: June 04, 2023, 08:03:06 PM »
Grimes appeared to be taken high but it results in a Giants free kick. Was this adjudicated correctly?

One of the howlers  :lol

If he hadn't been be grabbed around the scone then yes the 2nd part of it was correct HTB  :rollin

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2588 on: June 04, 2023, 09:04:13 PM »
The telytubby 21 was a real stuffer

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2589 on: June 04, 2023, 09:43:53 PM »

One of the howlers  :lol

If he hadn't been be grabbed around the scone then yes the 2nd part of it was correct HTB  :rollin

Arguably he deliberately drew the high contact and the AFL said they wouldn't pay these anymore in ?2022 but they have failed miserably to live up to that.

Wasn't is supposed to be the Ginnivan rule?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2590 on: June 07, 2023, 03:52:26 PM »
Reckon there would be more respect and understanding for the umps if they were able to explain their decisions and even admitted when they had got it wrong.

For us oldies :oldguy, "What's your decision?" was a regular segment on Sunday morning on Ch 7's World of Sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcZX-6XaNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6wmEkaU8po

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2591 on: June 10, 2023, 08:36:54 PM »
It’s a bloody disgrace

Worst I’ve seen all year.  :banghead :banghead :banghead
The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2592 on: June 10, 2023, 08:40:19 PM »
Getting sexually assaulted tonight

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2593 on: June 10, 2023, 08:42:04 PM »
They're on fire

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2594 on: June 10, 2023, 08:46:53 PM »
O'Gorman and Heffernan should never umpire our matches again. Clear Richmond haters. Then add the local WA ump joining in the Freo lovefest and there's a reason we are getting screwed by the umps tonight  :thumbsdown.