Author Topic: Who will be our challengers in 2021?  (Read 19675 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who will be our challengers in 2021?
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:54:22 PM »
This was a topic on SEN today.

Dwayne Russell said:
- Geelong again given they have or will gain Jeremy Cameron, Shaun Higgins & Isaac Smith.

- Brisbane again after adding Joe Daniher.

- St Kilda with their additions.
- Port
- West Coast

Matt Rendall added Collingwood if they change their gameplan as they have slowed Richmond's play and stopped the Tigers from scoring in their clashes.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Re: Who will be our challengers in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
This was a topic on SEN today.

Dwayne Russell said:
- Geelong again given they have or will gain Jeremy Cameron, Shaun Higgins & Isaac Smith.

- Brisbane again after adding Joe Daniher.

- St Kilda with their additions.
- Port
- West Coast

Matt Rendall added Collingwood if they change their gameplan as they have slowed Richmond's play and stopped the Tigers from scoring in their clashes.

Geez Matt R has turned into a Big footy nuffie

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:51:57 PM »
I agree with him.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:23:32 PM »
ourselves.

Play to our absolute best and no one will beat us

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »
Nobody.

We will fist them all where the sun don't shine.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:00:51 AM »
I still see a gap between the top 6 teams: Richmond, Geelong, west coast, Collingwood, port and Brisbane to the rest of the comp. I wouldn’t rate st Kilda in that group regardless of how the ladder and finals played out this year. I’d also have the giants as a chance to climb back into that top group next season, still a very very talented list.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »
GEELONG "WOULD WANT TO WIN A FLAG" IN 2021

Matthew Lloyd has laid down the challenge to Geelong after bringing in older recruits and trading out younger players Lachie Fogarty and Nakia Cockatoo.

The Cats fielded the oldest ever V/AFL team earlier this year, although Gary Ablett (36) and Harry Taylor (34) have since retired.

After listing recruits who will have the biggest impact on their new clubs on Trade Radio, Lloyd was asked if the Cats were premiership favourites for next year.

"Probably not, but you would want to win a flag next year with the way they've gone about it," Lloyd said.

"They'll be hurt, they would have started the period thinking 'we'll get these players in but we'll also have a good hand in the draft', but with the way the Giants have been, they probably won't have a good hand in the draft.

"We've got Jeremy Cameron (set to come) in, Shaun Higgins, Isaac Smith, but it's they're an ageing three, so there'll be some Geelong supporters saying 'where's our youth?'.

"I can understand both sides of the argument, but to get Jeremy Cameron in at 27 years of age, they were always having to give up a lot, but probably not as much as they (first thought)."

Kane Cornes believes it's the Cats' last chance, after falling short in this year's Grand Final against Richmond.

"Last roll, you would think. (Joel) Selwood, maybe one good season left, (Tom) Hawkins, one more, 'Danger' (Patrick Dangerfield) you might get a few more, (Sam) Menegola is nearly 30 and out of contract [at the end of next year]."

https://www.afl.com.au/trade/trade-talk

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
The first thing is, our teams conditioning is just unreal.  We wear sides down, they just cannot maintain the effort for four quarters even if they have some of the most skilled players in the comp.  Second quarters, I watch, they fade like a gassed out boxer dropping their guard.  I see them looking around hoping someone else is chasing a bit harder because they are blown and our guys are still going flat knacker...It blows me away every time.

Port did well against us with all the stars aligned for them at their home ground and still couldn't do it.  At the MCG this is exacerbated because it is a big ground and we love it.
Brisbane, just got us at their home ground with some seriously affectionate umpiring swept away by the whole Granny in Brissy horsepoo imo.  But they did show some good signs and played a similar game to us, back at us.  Granny back in Melbourne, I think we are good.
Geelong, we ran them into the ground on a small ground where they had a great advantage to use their style of ball control.  They failed, they gassed out, they tried everything.  They are not recruiting kids in.  The velvet anvil head is right on the hammer with this
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »
Wise words from The One Who Hoots.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »
I think Port are a bit of a flash in the pan...

2021 they won’t have all the home games they didn’t this year and they aren’t good travellers IMO.

I would love to see them stink it up.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 07:27:28 PM »
I think Port are a bit of a flash in the pan...

2021 they won’t have all the home games they didn’t this year and they aren’t good travellers IMO.

I would love to see them stink it up.
West Coast  and Brisbane a bit the same. 2021 is ours for the taking.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
Saints are interesting, look like they are on the up with some good ins.  Colonwood...Dunno, if they get rid of Trollol before close of business, might be a bit of an unknown quantity.  Mini rebuild..
Lots of people name their swords......

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »
Saints and Bulldogs will improve. Cats appear to be trying to buy a premiership.

Offline Pappy

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 09:51:10 PM »
Saints and Bulldogs will improve. Cats appear to be trying to buy a premiership.
Let’s be honest...there is nothing with trying ‘to buy’ a premiership (or title). Every big sporting club around the world employ the same tactics :
Barcelona
Manchester City
New England Patriots
Building a home grown or generic list sometimes will simply not get the job done.

Having said that....I think Geelong are in for a world of pain in 3 years time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »
Geelong Cats, Western Bulldogs’ odds shorten to win 2021 AFL Premiership

By Morgan+
Sports News
12/11/2020 at 9:44 pm

The arrival of Jeremy Cameron from Greater Western Sydney has resulted in Geelong tightening from $6 to $5.50 at TAB to win the 2021 AFL premiership.

The Cats will be hoping that the acquisition of Cameron helps to secure Geelong’s first premiership since 2011 after falling by 31 points to Richmond in last month’s grand final.

The Western Bulldogs have shortened from $17 to $15 after the 11th-hour trade of Adam Treloar from Collingwood.

The Magpies have drifted from $11 to $13 after losing Treloar along with Jaidyn Stephenson (to North Melbourne) and Tom Phillips (to Hawthorn).

Richmond are the $4 favourites to claim their third-straight premiership in 2021.

(TAB ODDS)

2021 AFL Premiership

$4        Richmond
$5.50     Geelong               $6 before arrival of Jeremy Cameron
$7.50     Brisbane
$8        West Coast
$9        Port Adelaide
$13       Collingwood          $11 before trades
$15       Western Bulldogs     $17 before arrival of Adam Treloar
$17       GWS                  $15 before departure of Jeremy Cameron
$17       St Kilda
$26       Melbourne
$34       Carlton
$51       Fremantle
$51       Hawthorn
$67       Essendon
$81       Gold Coast
$81       Sydney
$101      Adelaide
$201      North Melbourne

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/afl/geelong-cats-western-bulldogs-odds-shorten-to-win-2021-afl-premiership/550172