Author Topic: Who will be our challengers in 2021?  (Read 19669 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be our challengers in 2021?
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:29 PM »
Just saw a team of the week released on some website. Not one Tiger player makes the cut in a team that beat the flag favorites.
What a joke.

When it's all said and done do we really care?

I know I don't..

Media, other supporters don't want to dare rate us or simply don't rate us after 3 flags in 4 years then so be it.

Let them wallow  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2021, 08:01:27 PM »
Campbell Brown had Broad, Houli & Lynch in his team of the week.

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1389115680365039616

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2021, 10:17:38 PM »
Just saw a team of the week released on some website. Not one Tiger player makes the cut in a team that beat the flag favorites.
What a joke.

It's not that Saints supporting idiot is it  :lol

He hates the Tigers and the Dees, gave 3 Norf players brownlow votes in the loss against Melbourne and gave Macrae 2 against us.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2021, 05:52:44 AM »
Since there's been a 22 round H/A season (1970 onwards), only 4 out of the 19 teams (21%) that won their first 7 matches have gone on to win the flag.

Unbeaten teams after Round 7:

2021: Melbourne
2016: North Melbourne (lost EF)
2015: Fremantle (lost PF)
2013: Geelong (lost PF)
2009: Geelong (Premiers), St Kilda (lost GF)
2008: Hawthorn (Premiers), Geelong (lost GF)
2005: West Coast (lost GF)
2004: St Kilda (lost PF)
2001: Hawthorn (lost PF)
2000: Essendon (Premiers)
1995: Carlton (Premiers), Richmond (lost PF)
1991: West Coast (lost GF)
1981: Collingwood (lost GF)
1979: North Melbourne (lost PF)
1978: North Melbourne (lost GF)
1976: Carlton (lost PF)
1970: Collingwood (lost GF)

Resource: https://afltables.com/afl/seas/season_idx.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2021, 05:24:15 PM »
AFL Power Rankings after Round 7

Max Laughton
Fox Sports
May 4th, 2021

1. RICHMOND (4-3, 115.9%) ................... Last week: 4 (up 3)

Oh yeah, these guys! We think the reaction of many Tigers fans after Friday night of “take that, everyone who wrote us off!!” was a bit over the top - there were many, many more tweets saying that than people who actually wrote them off. Most experts agreed there was nothing to worry about at Punt Road, and a dominant second half performance proved it. It was eerily similar to the Tigers’ two recent finals victories over Geelong; a slow start leading to a three or four-goal deficit at halftime, but then the gap was gone before three-quarter-time, and the premiers never really looked like losing from that point. In their premiership seasons, the Tigers have been 5-2, 4-3 and 4-3. They’re 4-3 again. They’re more than fine.

2. WESTERN BULLDOGS (6-1, 157%) .......... Last week: 1 (down 1)
3. MELBOURNE (7-0, 149.1%) .................... Last week: 3
4. PORT ADELAIDE (5-2, 120.2%) ............... Last week: 2 (down 2)
5. BRISBANE LIONS (4-3, 114.1%) .............. Last week: 6 (up 1)
6. GEELONG CATS (4-3, 118.5%) ................ Last week: 5 (down 1)
7. WEST COAST EAGLES (4-3, 103.9%) ....... Last week: 7
8. SYDNEY SWANS (5-2, 112.1%) ............... Last week: 8

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-power-rankings-after-round-7-afl-analysis-stats-every-team-ranked-ladder-top-eight-predictions/news-story/b297cce3fb7bc010a1d533ccacc0f86c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2021, 03:02:44 AM »
FOOTY’S IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION GETS EVEN TOUGHER

After two months of the 2021 AFL season, the premiership race features two things: certainty and uncertainty.

The certainty: It sure seems like the current top eight of Melbourne, the Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Geelong, Brisbane, West Coast, Sydney and Richmond will be our top eight.

The teams outside of the eight are either seriously flawed or about to run into a horror fixture. For example: GWS, who sit just percentage behind the Tigers and have won four of their last five matches. They’re a finals contender, right?

Well, they still have to play Richmond, West Coast and Brisbane before their bye, plus Melbourne, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Richmond again after it. Want to reconsider?

But then there’s the uncertainty: who the hell is actually going to win the flag?

You can make a case for every team in the top eight, perhaps with the exception of Sydney, just because they’re so young and on paper their list simply doesn’t have the talent of the other looming finalists.

But the other seven? Absolutely.

Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong and Richmond were all right there last year. You can’t be mugs and go 8-0, so Melbourne’s in the hunt. The Bulldogs have looked damn good at times. And West Coast is doing a great job of staying in the race while suffering the AFL’s worst injury crisis - you’d hate to draw a healthy Eagles side in September.

It’s very difficult to pick who the favourite should be though. There are so many results that conflict.

We can almost make a complete loop: Melbourne beating Sydney, who beat Geelong, who beat West Coast, who beat Port Adelaide, who beat Richmond, who beat the Bulldogs, who beat Brisbane. Make sense of that!

We’ll learn more over the rest of the season, but North Melbourne champion David King believes the most crucial factor is simply going to be who earns the double chance in the finals.

“I still subscribe to the fact you’ve got to finish top four - so the squeeze is on,” David King said on Saturday Countdown.

“And when you play a like type, so the teams that are fighting for that top four position ... it’s everything for the end of the season. You don’t know if you’re going to be travelling interstate, we have no idea what COVID’s going to bring us towards the back half of the year, but that’s the squeeze.

“I reckon there’s still seven teams (that can make the top four) - it’s too early to say a ‘win the flag’-type thing.”

Realistically, the contender that has wobbled the most is Richmond, after they dropped to 4-4 following their beatdown at the hands of Geelong.

“Twice we’ve seen it, Sydney did it as well. Everyone knows how to beat everybody else, it’s whether you can carry out that plan,” Dermott Brereton said on Fox Footy’s Saturday Countdown.

“To get the ball to a position where you can exploit Richmond’s backmen; they’re a great, great defensive team, but individually let’s be honest, they’re not Alex Rance.

“They’ve got some role players down there who if you can isolate, you can expose them and you can beat them in one-on-ones, or get them all to your advantage.”

Of course, it’s Richmond; we’re not going to give up on them quickly. And just a week ago, they looked at their brutal best against the Bulldogs.

They can win it all this year. But so can six other teams.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-round-8-analysis-talking-points-reaction-top-stories-news-premiership-contenders-melbourne-mcg-form-news/news-story/45e2889d071b918726cd5024a233ecb0?recommendedCount=0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
WHATELEY AND KING RANK THEIR TOP FOUR SEEDS AFTER ROUND 8

David King

1. Melbourne

“I’ve slipped Melbourne to top billing. Just on what they do without the ball.

“They should be able to manage their list now, and if they don’t, that will be the biggest error they make."

2. Western Bulldogs

“I’m really happy with how they’re going.”

3. Geelong

“I’m going to elevate Geelong from fourth to third.”

4. Richmond

“Richmond for me have gone from one to four.”

Gerard Whateley

1. Melbourne

“Respect Melbourne – 8-0, grinding wins whenever challenged.

“I think they’re ripe to get beaten, but they’re doing the business.”

2. Geelong

“I’ve got Geelong at two.”

3. Port Adelaide

“I’ve got Port Adelaide at three.”

4. Richmond

“I’m going to join you with Richmond at four."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/10/whateley-and-king-rank-their-top-four-seeds-after-round-8/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2021, 05:04:17 PM »
A third of the way into the season, four clubs share favouritism for the flag

Courtney Walsh
The Australian
MAY 10, 2021 3pm

The Demons are unbeaten after eight rounds for the first time since the Melbourne Olympics and the reigning premiers Richmond are arguably on the ropes.

More than a third of the AFL season is now complete, but that has not created any certainty in terms of premiership favouritism among leading contenders for the prize.

There is also congestion from fourth down to 14th, with only two games separating Geelong from Adelaide with 14 matches to go for each club in the home-and-away season.

Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond and the Western Bulldogs share favouritism for the premiership at $5.50 with most bookmakers. The TAB has the Dogs a half point further out at $6.

Geelong, so impressive when routing Richmond at the MCG last Friday, and the building Brisbane are also in contention, with the West Coast Eagles considered the next most likely.

Even among the coaches, there are doubts as to which team is currently the best, despite the Demons’ unbeaten status.

Sydney coach John Longmire gave Melbourne the honour after their nine-point loss to the Demons at the MCG on Saturday night.

But Damien Hardwick, whose Tigers lost to Melbourne by 34 points last month, said after Richmond were mauled by Geelong that the Cats were the best team they had played.

Port Adelaide’s clash with the Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night shapes as a match that will provide further clarity.

Richmond’s ability in recent seasons to launch barnstorming finishes from middling starts to claim three of the past four premierships ensures the Tigers respect.

As Geelong coach Chris Scott said after Friday night’s triumph: “One thing you know is that they come back.”

But Richmond’s 50 per cent record after eight weeks is their worst start since 2016 and the Tigers do have key personnel absent, with Shane Edwards the latest to head to the medical ward.

He is set to miss up to two months with an ankle injury. Captain Trent Cotchin and former best-and-fairest Dion Prestia are weeks away from a return.

The next fortnight will be pivotal to the Tigers’ hopes of being in position to launch a bid for the top four in the second half of the season.

Richmond host the Giants, which trail them on percentage in ninth position, at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night and then travel to Brisbane to play the Lions at the Gabba.

The Giants suffered another injury blow when veteran defender Lachie Keeffe ruptured an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in the final minute of their win over Essendon.

Former Geelong champion Jimmy Bartel won three premierships in five years with the Cats between 2007 and 2011.

He disputes the suggestion success can get tiring and believes Richmond remain motivated to cement their status as the best team of this century by completing a hat-trick.

“Winning is underestimated as a motivation,” Bartel said on RSN 927. “I think everyone looks to adversity or tough defeats as the great motivator, but there is a fantastic motivator in winning and being pretty awesome as a team. It is pretty fun.

“It gives you great energy. You even see it in games, the momentum, the energy, you are starting to win and all of a sudden you are running a little faster, spreading a little further, training a little harder.”

The Lions continue to build despite the absence of Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale.

Hugh McCluggage has assumed greater responsibility in the middle of the ground and the Lions will seek a fifth win in succession against the Suns on the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan pointed out that the Lions’ early season losses to the Cats and Bulldogs, when on the road in Victoria, looked better performances by the week given the current status of those sides.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/a-third-of-the-way-into-the-season-four-clubs-share-favouritism-for-the-flag/news-story/12ffdf7f68b77f230933c537d81979cb

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2021, 03:59:56 AM »
Ladder splitting into two with us in the middle in 8th spot.

Tom Morris on Fox Footy's First Crack show reckons the top 8 is set.

David King reckons the top 4 is set but not the top 8 given our injuries. His reason was that sides have come from outside the eight in the second half a season to play finals (he then used us as an example in 2019).

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »
Our challengers are ourselves.

I can see us if we miss top 4, Melbourne finish top lose first final then play us BANG BANG straight sets would be gold

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »
I reckon top 4 is up for grabs.

Top 8 set.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
Gerard Whateley and David King have named their top four seeds in the AFL after Round 9.

King

1. Melbourne

“You can’t be unhappy with what Melbourne have done.

“Undefeated and playing in a manner that’s challenging everyone else to look at how they have to play differently to beat Melbourne.”

2. Western Bulldogs

“I’m staying with the Dogs.”

3. Geelong

“At three, I’ve got the Cats. They played ordinary but got the job done.

“I’m going to call them the new Cats because if you think it’s last year’s version, it’s different.”

4. Richmond

“I’ve locked Richmond in at four and I’m not going to look at them.

“At the moment they’re four.”

Whateley

1. Melbourne

“It’s obviously Melbourne.”

2. Western Bulldogs

“You (King) were right about the Dogs.

“I don’t know how I managed to shuffle them down to five. They were the rightful holders of two and so it has proven.”

3. Geelong

“You (King) were an early advocate for the Cats. They’re in the four.”

4. Richmond

“I’ve got Richmond at four, but the Brisbane Lions will take their place if they beat them on Friday night.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/17/whateley-and-king-rank-their-top-four-seeds-after-round-9/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2021, 06:43:15 PM »
Power rankings after Round 9

Max Laughton
Foxsports
18 May 2021

1. MELBOURNE (9-0, 144.3%) ..................... Last week: 1
2. BRISBANE LIONS (6-3, 126.4%) ............... Last week: 6 (up four)
3. GEELONG CATS (6-3, 128.8%) .................. Last week: 2 (down one)
4. WESTERN BULLDOGS (8-1, 146.9%) .......... Last week: 5 (up one)
5. PORT ADELAIDE (6-3, 120.6%) .................. Last week: 4 (down one)
6. WEST COAST EAGLES (6-3, 112.2%) .......... Last week: 7 (up one)

7. RICHMOND (5-4, 103.1%) ......................... Last week: 3 (down four)

It wouldn’t have been the end of the world if the Tigers had lost to the Giants - even though they would’ve dropped out of the eight, and been staring down the barrel of a 4-6 record - but the win just gives them some breathing room while they’re battling injuries. As Damien Hardwick said on AFL 360 last week, they’re basically missing an entire midfield. So beating GWS, who we think is the best team not in the top eight, is a big tick for the premiers. As long as they still have a winning record at their Round 13 bye, they’ll get enough stars back to make a charge at the top four. Brisbane this week is tough, but then you’d expect them to beat Adelaide and Essendon at the MCG.

8. SYDNEY SWANS (6-3, 113.2%) .................... Last week: 8
9. GWS GIANTS (4-5, 98%) ............................ Last week: 9
10. CARLTON (3-6, 92.6%) ............................. Last week: 10
11. ST KILDA (4-5, 81.5%) ............................. Last week: 13 (up two)
12. ESSENDON (3-6, 96.8%) ........................... Last week: 11 (down one)
13. FREMANTLE (4-5, 93.5%) .......................... Last week: 12 (down one)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-power-rankings-after-round-9-afl-analysis-stats-every-team-ranked-ladder-top-eight-predictions/news-story/b8c9adba44979440fe3bec143a478060

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2021, 05:08:37 PM »
Barrett thinks Brisbane and Geelong will make the Grand Final.

Nat Edwards reckons Brisbane vs Bulldogs.

15:26 min mark - The simple argument for Richmond: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=830097

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616697/listen-where-are-the-demons-damo-and-nat-s-shock-grand-final-call

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2021, 05:17:03 PM »
Who beats us by more than the umpires?  They rack up 20-30 kicks against us each week & kick 4-5 goals as well! 
I'd cast my votes but its pretty obvious who is BOG every week ....       :help     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!