Author Topic: Samson Ryan [merged]  (Read 71649 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Pick 40. Samson Ryan
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2021, 01:54:46 AM »
Winning premierships papers over cracks - the claw

Looks like Melbourne finally went passed us today....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »
from 05 to 2015  the last yr Jackson was in fully in charge, and yes regardless of what the apologists say, Jackson was very much in charge of the 05 draft  it was publicly stated stated he was taken on full time on the back of that draft lol.They were indeed happy with themselves.

It was also stated he and Miller had two partimers at the club one bloke from north and they had 6 recruiters scattered about the place this has been stated by the club in articles.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. that draft is a bust and Jackson takes no responsibility.

At the end of the day from 05 to 15 we had 44 nd picks in total .Yes we had some success with early picks, fmd we had enough of em.
In those 11 drafts Jacksons time in charge imo, we managed to find just 6 players  after pick 30. They were Astbury 35, McIntosh 33, Butler 67
Lloyd 66 and Broad 67 the last two being mature pickups so in fact we found just three young players in the nd after pick 30 in those 11 seasons
and peple defend this they must thinking people are morons.

In 11 seasons we used just 8 psd picks just 4 were youngsters White, Gourdis Grimes and O'Hanlon.I would argue only Grimes is a find given Psd players are taken after extra time.

Not a lot there imo very poor indeed . But it gets worse imo. we had 43 rookie picks in those 11 seasons. While its arguable the only players we found who had not already been in the afl sysyem were. King a mature recruit, Nahas mature recruit , Short, Castagna, Lambert mature recruit and Soldo.

Lets just be plain honest. lets at least acknowledge the numbers and they scream out mediocrity.
Yes it is to be expected that clubs will get their fair share of higher picks right,and Jackson has,  it is acknowledged by most though that the good recruiters have a good hit ratio with lower and rookie picks.

Just when you thought it was bad and could not get any worse take a look at the mature recruits we bought to the club thru trade f/a nd rookie picks etc  in Jacksons 11 yr tenure.
In fairness i dont blame Jackson for the majority of mature players we have bought to the club but as head of recruitment he must have had a fair say about each player heres the list.

Kingsley, Morton, Cartledge, Howat, Knobel, P Bowden, Humm, King,Hislop, Thompson, Cousins, Farmer, Polak, Derickx, Grigg, Miller, Nahas, Houli,A Maric, I Maric, Morris, Chaplin, Knights, Edwards, Petterd, Lonergan, Stephenson, Lloyd, Hampson, Banfield, Thomas, Miles, Hunt, Lambert, Arnot, Yarran, A Moore, Townsend, Broad,

Thats 39 mature recruits and you would be lucky to find 10 good players or 10 who made a decent contribution .

People say fj is mostly responsible for the players who played in the premierships but that by itself is an amazingly blinkerd and skewed way to look at it no wonder it took 13 yrs to achieve anything.

Ah well i suppose im wasting my time tiger supporters are among the leaders in the comp when it comes to revisionism.

At the end of the day all recruitment teams have busts. The problem is tho you fail to acknowledge that he recruited 80% of this side that won 3 flags the facts don't lie.3 flags in 13 years is excellent.
LMFAO.
We didnt win a flag in the 11 yrs jackson was in charge. In fact we didnt even win a final. lol.

Of course all recruiting teams have busts just not the volume that Jackson had. How do you rate Jackson after pick 30 in the nd or his numerous rookie picks.
In anyones language yes even most  one eyed blinkered feral supporters say his record in this is lousy.Yet here you are defending him says a lot i suppose.

As usual you totally miss the point. Of course i acknowledge he had a hand in recruiting  a large percentage of our premiership players

But the real real point is we got there eventually despite the best or in this case mainly worse efforts of Jackson.Should he have been in charge for so long with such returns. Well unless people around here are jumping ship like rats of the proverbial sinking ship then the vast majority agreed.

As one astute poster big tone said, any one with half a brain will pick up the odd good player here or there its only ferals who are arguing that point or fail to acknowledge that point.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:50 PM »
from 05 to 2015  the last yr Jackson was in fully in charge, and yes regardless of what the apologists say, Jackson was very much in charge of the 05 draft  it was publicly stated stated he was taken on full time on the back of that draft lol.They were indeed happy with themselves.

It was also stated he and Miller had two partimers at the club one bloke from north and they had 6 recruiters scattered about the place this has been stated by the club in articles.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. that draft is a bust and Jackson takes no responsibility.

At the end of the day from 05 to 15 we had 44 nd picks in total .Yes we had some success with early picks, fmd we had enough of em.
In those 11 drafts Jacksons time in charge imo, we managed to find just 6 players  after pick 30. They were Astbury 35, McIntosh 33, Butler 67
Lloyd 66 and Broad 67 the last two being mature pickups so in fact we found just three young players in the nd after pick 30 in those 11 seasons
and peple defend this they must thinking people are morons.

In 11 seasons we used just 8 psd picks just 4 were youngsters White, Gourdis Grimes and O'Hanlon.I would argue only Grimes is a find given Psd players are taken after extra time.

Not a lot there imo very poor indeed . But it gets worse imo. we had 43 rookie picks in those 11 seasons. While its arguable the only players we found who had not already been in the afl sysyem were. King a mature recruit, Nahas mature recruit , Short, Castagna, Lambert mature recruit and Soldo.

Lets just be plain honest. lets at least acknowledge the numbers and they scream out mediocrity.
Yes it is to be expected that clubs will get their fair share of higher picks right,and Jackson has,  it is acknowledged by most though that the good recruiters have a good hit ratio with lower and rookie picks.

Just when you thought it was bad and could not get any worse take a look at the mature recruits we bought to the club thru trade f/a nd rookie picks etc  in Jacksons 11 yr tenure.
In fairness i dont blame Jackson for the majority of mature players we have bought to the club but as head of recruitment he must have had a fair say about each player heres the list.

Kingsley, Morton, Cartledge, Howat, Knobel, P Bowden, Humm, King,Hislop, Thompson, Cousins, Farmer, Polak, Derickx, Grigg, Miller, Nahas, Houli,A Maric, I Maric, Morris, Chaplin, Knights, Edwards, Petterd, Lonergan, Stephenson, Lloyd, Hampson, Banfield, Thomas, Miles, Hunt, Lambert, Arnot, Yarran, A Moore, Townsend, Broad,

Thats 39 mature recruits and you would be lucky to find 10 good players or 10 who made a decent contribution .

People say fj is mostly responsible for the players who played in the premierships but that by itself is an amazingly blinkerd and skewed way to look at it no wonder it took 13 yrs to achieve anything.

Ah well i suppose im wasting my time tiger supporters are among the leaders in the comp when it comes to revisionism.

At the end of the day all recruitment teams have busts. The problem is tho you fail to acknowledge that he recruited 80% of this side that won 3 flags the facts don't lie.3 flags in 13 years is excellent.
LMFAO.
We didnt win a flag in the 11 yrs jackson was in charge. In fact we didnt even win a final. lol.

Of course all recruiting teams have busts just not the volume that Jackson had. How do you rate Jackson after pick 30 in the nd or his numerous rookie picks.
In anyones language yes even most  one eyed blinkered feral supporters say his record in this is lousy.Yet here you are defending him says a lot i suppose.

As usual you totally miss the point. Of course i acknowledge he had a hand in recruiting  a large percentage of our premiership players

But the real real point is we got there eventually despite the best or in this case mainly worse efforts of Jackson.Should he have been in charge for so long with such returns. Well unless people around here are jumping ship like rats of the proverbial sinking ship then the vast majority agreed.

As one astute poster big tone said, any one with half a brain will pick up the odd good player here or there its only ferals who are arguing that point or fail to acknowledge that point.

Jackson work was done before we won the flags mate with recruitment of most of the list.Each to there own I have my opinion and views I don't need to agree with majority of supporters.

Your not making sense in one hand your bagging him and then acknowledge he had a major hand in our flags and then say because the worse efforts of him lool those worse efforts got us 3 flags.We were under funded in our recruitment department not even interstate recruiters.Like I said his time had a major contribution to getting those 3 flags you focus on negatives to much.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2021, 10:40:28 PM »
I listed hits ONLY because when the majority talk about FJ they bang on about misses ONLY and point their collective fingers of blame for said misses ONLY at FJ not any other person in recruiting.

But at the same time the same folks when they speak of the hits heap praise on every person in recruiting except FJ.

Okay.
I accept your "team effort" to a degree but the point has to be made that the Lead Recruiter, Jackson, is most responsible for the choices at the top of the drat list.

When Luke Williams came to us in 2014 I think he was very responsible for the LOWER picks ie the Rookies.
2014 Senior C Ellis, Menadue, Drummond, Butler, McKenzie. Rookie Short, Castagna, Lambert, Arnot, Soldo.

If you say that Jackson has no responsibility for 2005 as a part-timer, when we took JON, Hughes, Casserly, White, GRaham, Humm and Howatt then he is MAINLY (as the head recruiter) for the picks from 2006 to 2016 when Clarke took over. https://www.afl.com.au/news/148183/who-makes-the-calls-on-your-clubs-recruits from 2017.

Note in that story that Jackson was working on "Future picks" and that we had 10 part-time scouts.
I have a Jackson interview from years ago where he said he did not like a lot of scouts because they caused confusion with too many opinions.

2006 - Riewoldt, Edwards then 6 fails.  Note we got Jack after trading down to get Polak. A huge gamble we lucked out on.
2007 - Cotchin, Rance then 8 fails. As said before Cotchin was a gimme and Rance was AA.
2008 - Nothing. Headed by Vickery, Post and Hislop.
2009 - Martin, Astbury and Grimes then 10 fails including rookied Polak. Martin was a gimme and the other 2 have become great after a long time of criticism.
2010 - Houli as PSD and Grigg as a trade and 9 fails headed by Conca.
2011 - Nothing but Maric and Morris as trades.
2012 - Vlastuin and McIntosh as first picks then 9 fails led by an Edwards trade.
2013 - Nothing headed by Lennon at pick 12.
2014 - Little headed by B Ellis but as said we got Short, Castagna, Lambert and Soldo in the Rookie
2015 - Rioli, Broad and Chol with Markov the best of 5 fails.
2016 - Huge gains of Bolton, Graham, Garthwaite, Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis with only Stengle as a fail.

Under Clarke:
2017 - Only Higgins so far and that was not due to form but circumstances. CCJ, Balta, Naish, Miller and Baker all look long term.
2018 - Turner, English, Townsend and Weller out but the rest look good led by RCD and Ross and the traded Lynch.   

Bolded are your 12 but note Baker was in 2017 when Jackson was in Future picks.

Thats a pretty full account with both wins AND fails.

hmm says it all.apart from 2005 which was jacksons first.  i understand he was not in charge for the 2016 draft but am prepared to be corrected on that.

Quite clearly williams was responsible for the rookie and late nd picks from 2014 onwards going by most comments on the subject.
His primary role was to find players in the ND and in the 11 12 seasons he was in charge he hardly found a player past the second rnd.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2021, 10:42:05 PM »
I openly can’t stand FJ, but realistically he hasn’t been in charge for about 5 years- right about the time when we starting coming good. 

Cotch and Dusty picked themselves at picks 2 and 3.... hard to argue with that even with hindsight....

Getting a few picks here and there right gets you some good players, and even some star players, we have always had “some” good players, but to win premierships you need to put together a list of very good players all pushing each other- like we have now and didn’t when FJ was in charge.

Every club has star players, it’s who you put them with that wins premierships.

Old Blair Hartley used to get a fair bashing on here from some, but not so much anymore.
I would say he has done an amazing job keeping the players we wanted to keep, together...

also this so good to see others being honest with out blinkers on.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Samson Ryan [merged]
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »
We're considering replacing Nank with Samson. So he could be making his debut on Saturday night.

Source: 3aw.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »
The man Damien Hardwick threw up in April as the perfect candidate for a loan system - ruckman Samson Ryan - in consideration for a Dreamtime debut.

Tigers keen to look at 3x tall fwds + a ruck. Footy moves pretty quick...

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1400284541374263298

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
I dunno if that’s necessary. CJ and Chol can rotate between second forward and ruck. I’d bring in another key defender (Miller) which would then even potentially although balta to chip in with ruck duties depending on the matchups.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2021, 03:22:02 PM »
Tigers consider shock Dreamtime debutant

Richmond could unveil rookie ruckman Samson Ryan against Essendon as a replacement for Toby Nankervis who played all of last week’s game with an injury so bad he could miss a month of football.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/round-12-afl-teams-richmond-considers-samson-ryan-for-debut/news-story/b77963ac4c785d75d6c451c73cb31c61

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2021, 04:46:09 PM »
Problem is he hasnt played ruck in the VFL that much so would have to play as a forward most of the time.  Not that this is a big issue. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2021, 04:54:35 PM »
I think we're concerned about CCJ & Chol physically lasting the whole 4 quarters at AFL level swapping between ruck and forward line duties. Both did seem to tire in the last quarter last week and were less effective (we had Nank in the side too but he was carrying that leg knock). Rotating 3 ruck/forwards should keep all 3 fresh enough over 4 quarters and stretch Phillips if Essendon doesn't bring in a second ruck such as Draper.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Samson Ryan
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2021, 11:01:06 AM »
Ryan debut!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Samson Ryan
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2021, 11:05:11 AM »
Samson Ryan to debut against the Saints

By Richmond Media

Emerging young Richmond ruckman Samson Ryan will make his senior league debut in Friday night's Round 15 match against St Kilda at the MCG.

Ryan was selected with the Club’s first pick (No. 40 overall) in last December’s 2020 AFL national draft, and has played six matches for the VFL Tigers so far in 2021.
The 20-year-old enters his debut against the Saints following a 30-hit-out, one-goal performance in Richmond's VFL draw against Williamstown last Sunday, matched against seasoned Seagulls ruckman Tom Downie.

"The big fella had his work cut out against a really experienced ruckman on the weekend without 'Marbs' and 'CJ' alongside him," VFL playing assistant coach, Steve Morris said of Ryan's effort.

"It was a great opportunity for him to gain experience and grow as a player.

"He competed hard as highlighted by his 30 hit-outs, but will be working on his technique in the contest after giving away a few free kicks."

Ryan's best performance at VFL-level to date saw him boot four goals from six marks on return to his home state in the Tigers' 62-point win over Brisbane at the Gabba in May.

The third-generation Richmond supporter who came to the club via the Brisbane Lions Academy and Sherwood (QAFL) will wear the No. 32 guernsey on Friday night.

Ryan will become Richmond's fifth senior debutant for the 2021 premiership season, alongside Rhyan Mansell, Will Martyn, Riley Collier-Dawkins and Hugo Ralphsmith.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/963154/samson-ryan-to-debut-against-the-saints
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Samson Ryan to debut [update]
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2021, 04:22:37 PM »
Best of luck to Samson for tomorrow night. Have a good one.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Samson Ryan to debut [update]
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:[/b]

IF ...
the Tigers had enough confidence in 2019 to roll the selection dice and pick a 27-year-old for his AFL debut in a Grand Final ...

THEN ...
the inclusion of a beanpole ruckman for his first game under Friday night lights barely raises the eyebrows. No doubting that Samson Ryan will be ready.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/635185/if-the-past-fortnight-has-been-an-embarrassing-self-inflicted-nightmare-