Author Topic: 2021 Draft thread  (Read 121383 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: 2021 Draft thread
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2021, 10:23:36 PM »
Pick 15, thanks Doggies!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2021, 03:45:35 AM »
We have a fantastic draft hand. We cant waste it. Please dont stuff it up Richmond.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »
Someone loves to chose skinny left footed Aaron Fiona types at RFC, always a disaster, please get it right.
Also note the CCJ situation, we pick up a young ruck type, persevere and then maybe not get to keep him??
Hopefully we get it right but am holding my breath.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
"We’ve [Richmond] spoken to Josh Fahey more than once and like him a lot. Don’t be surprised to see a bid from us. We love bidding on players from other Academies."

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-draft-pool.1252517/post-72130022

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2021, 11:12:35 AM »
Confirmation of our picks:

YOUR CLUB'S 2021 PICKS

Richmond     7, 15, 26, 28, 40, 44

Adelaide       4, 23, 37, 59, 63
Brisbane     14, 18, 47, 51, 57, 73
Carlton         6, 25, 61
Collingwood 36, 39, 41, 45
Essendon     11, 48, 53
Fremantle     8, 27
Geelong      30, 32, 34, 52
Gold Coast   3, 19, 22, 43, 55, 58, 66
GWS Giants  2, 13, 50, 68
Hawthorn     5, 21, 24, 56, 62
Melbourne   33, 42, 54
North Melb.   1, 20, 38, 69
Port Adel.   16, 60, 70, 71
St Kilda       9, 46, 64
Sydney      12, 31, 67
West Coast 10, 29, 35, 49, 65
W.Bulldogs  17, 72

https://www.afl.com.au/news/676091/indicative-draft-order-tigers-big-hand-your-club-s-picks

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »
We're a fan of kids from the Northern Knights. It was Cotch's U18s club. So Ward will be in the frame at our first pick if he is still on the board.

Knights rider: The aerobic beast rocketing into top-five calculations

Josh Ward's performances in the NAB League have made recruiters sit up and take notice

By Riley Beveridge
afl.com.au
13 September 2021

Josh Ward in action for Northern Knights in the NAB League in April 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

IT WAS a performance that brought out the best in Josh Ward.

Having taken some time to find his feet this season in the aftermath of a cancelled 2020 campaign, everything clicked for Ward as his Vic Metro side easily accounted for Vic Country in a trial game at Windy Hill last July.

Ward had spent last season and the summer that followed developing a series of aspects within his game. Improving his inside work, his physicality and his running capacity had been the focus during the endless months of Victoria's lockdown.

But on that Friday afternoon, working in tandem with the likely No.1 pick Nick Daicos in Vic Metro's midfield, it was time for Ward to reap the benefits of a gruelling last 18 months in a performance that commanded the attention of onlooking recruiters.

Josh Ward playing for Vic Metro in an U19 game against Vic Country in June 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

Ward collected 29 disposals, eight clearances and kicked two goals as Vic Metro eased to a 56-point win, displaying the balance of an inside-outside game that has clubs of the belief he could push into top-five calculations by this year's NAB AFL Draft.

"In Year 10, I was playing on the wing for Vic Metro," Ward told AFL.com.au.

"I really wanted to play a bit more inside, but I just didn't quite have the size to go in there and match it with those boys at that point. If I got anything out of the lockdown last year, it was the opportunity to prepare my body for this season.

"I set up a bit of a makeshift gym in the backyard and improved that over the lockdown period. That was my main focus coming into this year and it's still a growth area for me, but I'm glad that I've been able to build my body up to a level that it needs to be.

"It's not quite a strength yet, but that was my goal … to play midfield. I knew what I wanted and that's made it pretty easy to work towards it."

Ward's running power has always been a strength. Having started his career as a wingman, it was his aerobic capacity that enabled him to stretch the field and hold his width within games.

However, since moving into an inside role with Vic Metro and the Northern Knights this year, his fitness base has become an even bigger asset. Recruiters have noted his defensive running without the footy, and his carry with it, among his most significant traits.

That's culminated in an impressive campaign reflected by his superb numbers at NAB League level. According to Champion Data, he's averaged 30.2 disposals per game (ranked third in the competition), 5.6 clearances (ranked fifth), 6.2 score involvements (ranked fifth) and 11.6 contested possessions (ranked eighth) from his five matches with the Knights.

A period spent watching and analysing Carlton gun Sam Walsh has only helped him progress even further in those areas, with Ward closely monitoring the former No.1 selection from his TV at home to pick up any lessons he can.

"I really admire him for his gut-running," Ward said.

Josh Ward and Nick Daicos battle for the ball in the Northern Knights-Oakleigh Chargers NAB League game in June 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

"I've always been a decent runner, but being able to transfer it into a game is a whole new story. It's something I'm definitely trying to get better at. Sam Walsh is probably the best I've ever seen at doing that.

"Running has always been a strength of my game. It's always something I've worked pretty hard at, because I think working on your strengths is just as important as your weaknesses as it gives you that weapon.

"I worked hard on it over the off-season, but it's been a culmination of a few off-seasons where I've really worked hard on the running side of my game. That's definitely helped me this year."

Clubs are confident Ward will find himself selected in the early stages of this year's national draft. The more bullish of those teams believe he could even find himself being recruited within the first five picks.

For a keen Hawthorn fan with family links to the club – Ward's great grandfather, Alex Lee, played 31 games for the Hawks in the 1930s – there's extra reason to hope his name is called early on draft night.

Hawthorn currently holds pick No.5 at this year's draft, but could still find its position in the order shuffled around during what looms as a busy Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period for the club.

Finding his way to Waverley later this year – and being part of a Sam Mitchell-led rebuild at the club from 2022 onwards – would be a dream come true for Ward and his Hawks-loving family.

"I hope so," Ward laughed.

"It would be incredible to go to the Hawks. They've got a good, young list now and they've got Sam Mitchell coming in. I've heard nothing but good things about him, so that would be incredible. But I don't really want to raise my hopes too highly about that."

For now, though, Ward is simply looking forward to getting back on the field again in the near future. Having waited patiently through six Victorian lockdowns, his focus has been diverted almost entirely to education.

Hopeful of combining an AFL career with a degree in politics, philosophy and economics at university next year, the naturally high-achieving Ward is eager to get a footy back in his hands sometime soon.

"I don't think my mindset has really changed through this … it's always been the same thinking for me, just trying to go out and play the best I can," Ward said.

"Obviously, you have to adapt to going back to training with one other person and trying to stay ready when you're uncertain about what's going to happen. I've been able to keep the stress at bay, just by keeping on training and staying positive.

"I'm just taking it as it comes. If we were to get back, which I don't think we will now, I'd be happy to play another game or as many as I can. Ultimately, I just want to end up playing footy."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/675176/knights-rider-the-aerobic-beast-rocketing-into-top-five-calculations

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2021, 01:35:15 PM »
Good first round phantom draft by the guys at theinnersanctum.com.au have us taking Josh Sinn (Sandringham) at 9 and Matthew Johnson (Subiaco) at 18. 

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »
Liked what I saw of Johnson in the state game but couldn't help but feel there was also a fair bit of Adam Fiora potential about him too.... :help
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
Posted this before but:  Assuming CCJ is off to GC.  Once again we should be keeping him IMO.   

Trade One: Pick 3 & 19 for CCJ and pick 7. 

Trade Two:  Picks 28, 40 & 44 to Dogs for pick 17.  1468 points compared to 1025 points so a win for dogs.

Leaves us with 4 picks all inside 30: 3, 15, 17 & 26

I am not sure how many list spots we have open currently or will have. 

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2021, 03:51:20 PM »
Posted this before but:  Assuming CCJ is off to GC.  Once again we should be keeping him IMO.   

Trade Two:  Picks 28, 40 & 44 to Dogs for pick 17.  1468 points compared to 1025 points so a win for dogs.

Can work

We could get a 40s pick for Caddy. How would that go points wise with the Dogs pick instead of 28?

Could we also trade next year's first for Saints #9 or GWS #13?

Dreaming of 3, 9, 15, 19, 26 and 28. That would set us up

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2021, 06:10:27 PM »
I do like the group of top 30 picks coming through the ranks together. The bond etc that it can create can be very strong and valuable. Look at the group's coming through together at Ess, Syd and Port as great examples of this with good group's of youngsters drafted together.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2021, 02:42:24 AM »
Good first round phantom draft by the guys at theinnersanctum.com.au have us taking Josh Sinn (Sandringham) at 9 and Matthew Johnson (Subiaco) at 18.
Here's the link: https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/afl-phantom-draft/

1. North .... Horne-Francis
2. Coll bid .... Daicos
3. Dogs bid .... Darcy
4. GWS ........ Callaghan
5. GC ........... Gibcus
6. Adel ........ Roberts
7. Haw ........ Sonsie
8. Carl ........ Hobbs

9. Rich ........ Josh Sinn
7/01/2003 | 186cm | 82kg | General Defender | Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

NAB League: 5 games | 17.6 disp | 3.4 marks

Sinn is a pure line-breaker who could be a fantastic long-term replacement for the departing Bachar Houli coming out of defence. The Tigers have been found wanting with Jayden Short needing a helping hand to gain metres from the backline, and Sinn is a 100-metre player with his pace and booming kick for the Dragons. He has also shown his ability to push through the midfield and provide spark as well, adding to his value as a top-10 prospect.

Around the mark: Josh Rachele, Neil Erasmus

10. Freo ...... Erasmus
11. StK ....... Andrew
12. WCE ...... Goater
13. Ess ........ Rachele
14. GWS ...... Draper
15. Syd ........ Ward
16. GWS bid ... Fahey
17. Bris ......... Wilmot

18. Rich ........ Matthew Johnson
16/03/2003 | 193cm | 80kg | Inside Midfielder | Subiaco (WA)

WAFL Colts: 6 games | 21.3 disp | 0.5 goals

In possession of Geelong’s first-round pick, the Tigers have found some gems out of Western Australia in the past, consistently going across the Nullarbor with the likes of Shai Bolton and Nathan Broad, and more recently Matthew Parker in the mid-season draft. With Johnson, they get an appealing size for a contested midfielder, who possesses good agility and hands in the contest. He’s struggled to find his feet at senior level for Subiaco but there’s plenty of special traits he’s displayed to suggest he’ll excel at the elite level given time.

Around the mark: Ned Long, Mitch Knevitt

19. Port ........ Chesser
20. Bris ........ Conway

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »
No thanks. We need a blue-chip ball-winning mid please.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »

Don't think that trade with GC would go ahead. Too much in our favour. I think if we got 19 for CCJ that would be about eight, otherwise something else needs to go back their way.