Author Topic: Eddie resigns  (Read 1644 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Eddie resigns
« on: February 09, 2021, 04:43:14 PM »
Just had a presser where he announced his immediate resignation as Pies' president.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Eddie's Quit Effectively Immediately
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 04:44:03 PM »
‘Not fair or tenable’: McGuire steps down as Pies president, effective immediately

By Michael Gleeson
February 9, 2021 — 3.57pm

Eddie McGuire has stood down as Collingwood president, effective immediately.

McGuire had been due to step down at the end of 2021.

“I try my best and I don’t always get it right, but I don’t stop trying,” a visibly emotional McGuire said at the press conference where he officially announced his resignation.

The Collingwood board had been discussing whether McGuire’s presidency was still viable in the wake of last Monday’s press conference, when Collingwood’s Do Better report was released.

“From the moment I became president of the Collingwood Football Club on my 34th birthday back in 1998, my sole motivation was to heal, unite, inspire and drive a new social conscience, not just into this club, but sport and the community in general, and build an organisation that would be a place for opportunity for all people,” McGuire said.

He listed a series of programs run by Collingwood for the community, and said: “we are not a racist club, far from it.

“It is why I’m so proud of our club and the people every day and every week who benefit and who are inspired by the very purpose of the being of Collingwood and that is to be a beacon of hope for all people, particularly those at their lowest ebb or who have been socially isolated and left behind.”

He said: “I committed myself to making Collingwood the best place it could be”.

“To our playing group, to our champions of Collingwood. I want them to have in distractions and have clear minds in representing the club, winning the flag and helping to fashion the club that we want.

“When I came to Collingwood, it was a club driven with rivalries, enemies and division. It has not been the case in my time. So I do not want any of this cause rancour or factions. It is better to fast-track my leaving of the club from the end of the year to now.

“I love Australian Rules footy. I love – it is the most egalitarian of games. No matter the size, the shape or any other sub-set of life, he or she with the Sherrin is the most important person in the world when they have got it in their hands. I love my memories of Victoria Park the first time. For the first time in my life I felt part of a community. I love my memories of ... Victoria Park, I am going to say it again – the first time felt part of any community. That feeling must stay and grow for a new wave of immigrants, first nations people and all Australians who love the ethos of our game.”

On Monday, Indigenous community leaders, politicians and a former AFL player used an open letter to call on McGuire to step down in the wake of the report into racism at the club.

The 35-page independent report released last week was prompted by former player Heritier Lumumba’s claims of racism. It found that Collingwood had an unhealthy culture of protecting individuals ahead of the club. Lumumba refused to participate in the report, saying he was doubtful of Collingwood’s rigour in addressing the issues.

The letter also directly called on Collingwood’s sponsors – which include Coles, Nike, Emirates, CGU Insurance and La Trobe Financial – to make statements rejecting racism in a “clear and unequivocal” way.

McGuire called the tabling of the historic report into racism at the club a “proud day” after its release last week, but later told the club’s annual general meeting he had “got it wrong”.

“In my opening, I got it wrong,” McGuire said at the AGM, “I said it was a proud day for Collingwood, and I shouldn’t have.”

MORE TO COME

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-steps-down-as-collingwood-president-20210209-p570y2.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)