Author Topic: Cryptocurrencies  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Cryptocurrencies
« on: March 26, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
Anyone here into bitcoin and stuff lėke that. Ive got a recommendation from a mate who said Theta coins are what to get now about 15 to 18 bucks and linked to entertainment movies music gaming streaming ... i dont know how it works but he reckons it could fly.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Cryptocurrencies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 01:13:11 PM »
Anyone here into bitcoin and stuff lėke that. Ive got a recommendation from a mate who said Theta coins are what to get now about 15 to 18 bucks and linked to entertainment movies music gaming streaming ... i dont know how it works but he reckons it could fly.

Don't touch it.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 01:21:00 PM »
Any reasons?

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »
Playing Crypto currency is basically glorified gambling.
Unfortunately the horse has bolted for most as now the market is overrun with different coins.
Bitcoin is still your safest bet but you need to be a millionaire to get into it these days :-[

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »
Playing Crypto currency is basically glorified gambling.
Unfortunately the horse has bolted for most as now the market is overrun with different coins.
Bitcoin is still your safest bet but you need to be a millionaire to get into it these days :-[

That’s wrong on so many levels.
For starters you can buy Bitcoin with a very small budget.
And the horse has far from bolted.

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »
can anyone explain it to me in laymans terms ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 01:45:29 AM »
can anyone explain it to me in laymans terms ?
Cryptocurrency operates in a decentralised system as opposed to real currency which operates under a centralised system.

There's nearly 7,000 different cryptocurrencies out there according to CoinMarketCap.com.

Bitcoin is of course the most well known: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/how-to-invest-in-bitcoin

--------------------------

Advocates of cryptocurrencies are usually against money supply (via real currency) being controlled by government and more particularly central banks (the Reserve Bank is Australia's central bank). Even though real currency is traded, Central banks control money supply by adjusting interest rates, issuing bonds, buying/selling currency. Central banks don't want large volatility (movements) in the value of a real currency.

Cryptocurrencies aren't controlled by a central regulator at a central location. They are decentralised via an interconnected encrypted digital system. Every holder/trader of cryptocurrency has encrypted access to their own copy of what is the public digital 'Ledger' (what is known as a 'blockchain'). This Ledger is a record of all transactions of the cryptocurrency that have ever occurred. It allows users to monitor and track transactions and follow the provenance of the cryptocurrency. So called 'miners' are paid a fixed fee in cryptocurrency as an incentive to 'approve' a transaction (add a new updated block with the latest transaction details to the existing chain). This updated blockchain (Ledger) is then sent to everyone. The process is one of continually trading, updating and validating. Different cryptocurrencies offer different fees to miners by the way.

Advocates would argue that this massive encrypted decentralised system provides greater security and without an overlord controlling the cryptocurrency nor the need for intermediaries (i.e. normal banks, solicitors, brokers, etc). So in their mind  cryptocurrency is the currency of the future. Critics would argue that it's slower leading to higher transaction fees and that it's prone to speculator trading leading to massive booms and busts which doesn't make it a reliable currency for real world purchases nor as an investment. For instance, Bitcoin traded at around US$20,000 in December 2017, its value then dropped to as low as about US$3,200 a year later. It's now trading at around US$50,000.

Blockchain explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xGLc-zz9cA

Cryptography: How does Bitcoin actually work?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC-nXj3Ng4

-------------------------

ps. As an aside, you could use a blockchain system for any asset or in any sector (eg: food). For instance as a customer, it would allow you to say know where the roast chicken and vegies on your dinner plate tonight specifically and exactly came from and how and when it got to the shop/supermarket you bought it from. Advocates would argue that it's better than now where you have to just trust the word of the distributor and store. From that point of view, the future possibilities are endless.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 04:07:16 AM »
Horse hasn't bolted but when you consider that Bitcoin was almost worthless and you could be a multi-millionaire for a 3-figure investment not that long ago - it will never see growth like that again so although you can make good money, even thousands within weeks from a single Bitcoin, there will never be an overnight millionaire situation.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 07:33:56 PM »
I have 15k worth of the stuff .or at least that's what an email I received the other day told me....should really go check my wallet because apparently that's where it is.... :dancingpickle
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.