Author Topic: Rate a Tiger's year - Jack Ross?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rate a Tiger's year - Jack Ross?
« on: September 06, 2022, 11:21:59 PM »
That time of the year for player reviews. First up is Ross.

In his 4th season, Jack played 15 games (including one as an unused sub) to take his career tally to 44.

Season Highlights:
● 25 disps (11 kicks 14 hballs), 5 marks in Round 15 3-pt loss to Geelong at the MCG (25 June 2022)
● 24 disps (  7 kicks 17 hballs), 6 marks in Round 5 19-pt loss to Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (16 April 2022)
● 23 disps (11 kicks 12 hballs), 8 marks and a goal in Elimination Final 2-pt loss to Brisbane at the Gabba (1 Sep 2022)
● 21 disps (10 kicks 11 hballs), 7 marks and a goal in Round 23 66-pt win over Essendon at the MCG (20 August 2022)
● 20 disps (14 kicks   6 hballs), 8 marks in Round 1 25-pt loss to Carlton at the MCG (17 March 2022)

Career stats:
         Games  Kicks  Hballs  Disp.  Marks  Tackles   G.B    Clear.  In50  Re50   GA
2019     7        8.3     9.0    17.3     2.4       3.1       1.2      3.4     3.3    1.3     0.3
2020     7        6.9     6.4    13.3     2.0       2.9       0.0      1.4     2.1    0.9     0.6 
2021   15 (4)   5.1     5.5    10.6     2.9       1.5       2.0      0.8     1.5    0.9     0.1 
2022   15 (1)   8.3     8.4    16.7     4.6       1.3       3.1      1.6     3.1    1.1     0.5   

n.b. (number of times as unused sub).

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-richmond-tigers--jack-ross
https://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2898

How did we all rate Ross' season?

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rate a Tiger's year - Jack Ross?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 06:04:20 AM »
Put together 2 good games in a row ( one being a pressure final ) which is probably a first and will give him great confidence moving forward.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 06:54:53 AM »
Hot and cold mostly but finished well. Outside game has improved. Still young. 6/10
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 08:15:13 AM »
Put together 2 good games in a row ( one being a pressure final ) which is probably a first and will give him great confidence moving forward.

Two games doesn’t make a season
I’m giving this full seasons work a 3, and think I’m being generous

Hopefully it becomes a 6 or 7 next year and he becomes more consistent

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 08:18:14 AM »
Wow 😮
Someone gave him an 8
My goodness .. the bar is set lower for some than others

I didn’t realise voting was

“Rate a players year, taking into account what you expect from the individual”

If Ross gets an 8, we better change the voting so the Bolton’s and Prestia’s of the world can get triple figures LMAO

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 10:23:17 AM »

Same as Damo

No dispute his good is very good as we saw in the 3 excellent games he played in 2022

But.....

The gap between those and the poor ones is still massive. There is nothing in between. And overall and being honest here there were more poor ones than good ones
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 11:06:37 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »
I think his form in the second half of the year was a significant improvement.

And he was one of our best in the final last week.

I gave him a 7 based on how much he improved over the course of the season.

Hopefully it's all starting to click for him.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 10:49:13 AM »
Got a 6/10 for me. If 5/10 is breaking even then I gave him one extra point simply for improving more than I thought he would.

Still a depth player for me unless he goes to another level again.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 12:01:10 PM »
Finally let's hope we settled him in a position.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »
Points toward the Jack Dyer Medal are based on expectations v output. So for Dusty the expectations are high and result judged off that. For Ross the expectations are lower. So both could be rated a 6 even though Dusty's output is significantly higher.

Ross has shown a steady performance improvement curve over 22. Now at 44 games he has the experience level for expectations on his output to increase. Going to be tough to get midfield time in 23, if we get both Taranto and Hopper, but that is the challenge he faces.

If he continues to improve can see him becoming the Mr Fix It role, filling in for injuries etc

FooffooValve

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
Coming along well. He's hit that 40-50 game mark and is starting to look and play like he belongs at the level. Not everyone is a champion in their first 50 games. I think he'll settle in and become a very solid inside mid.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 01:32:57 PM »
I reckon 3 is way too harsh and 8 too optimistic. I remember Paul Williams once talking about Heath Shaw and urging fans to be patient because it generally takes 4-5 years for a player to get comfortable at AFL level consistently.
He’s been thrown all over the ground but is limited in where he can play - he’s an inside mid which is where he’s going best.
I’m optimistic that gaps between best and worst footy will rapidly diminish next year as he finally matures.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 02:06:44 PM »
I reckon 3 is way too harsh and 8 too optimistic. I remember Paul Williams once talking about Heath Shaw and urging fans to be patient because it generally takes 4-5 years for a player to get comfortable at AFL level consistently.
He’s been thrown all over the ground but is limited in where he can play - he’s an inside mid which is where he’s going best.
I’m optimistic that gaps between best and worst footy will rapidly diminish next year as he finally matures.

If 3 is way too harsh I’ll explain my reasoning

1- he only got selected 15 times
2- in my opinion he was only decent in what 5-6 of those ? Let’s say half the time being generous

Still not a pass mark for me

With 4-5 games to go people were calling for him to be dropped/traded/delisted

This rating is for the SEASON, not the last month

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »

I didn’t say 2 games made a season. I said his trajectory is heading the right way.
I gave him a 6 based on expectations and level of ability.
3 is ridiculous. That means he played way below expectations.
I’d give that to Dusty based on history. Not Ross

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 04:00:37 PM »
Ross was just a pass mainly because he strung a few together at the end, so just a 6
I have a bit of confidence now but a couple of  months ago he would be trade bait