Author Topic: Jacob Hopper [merged]  (Read 47333 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jacob Hopper officially a Tiger [merged]
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2022, 09:44:06 PM »
I have a few friends who play AFL. They reckon hopper is better than Taranto, interesting because I thought Taranto was easily.

Interesting

I go back to the 2019 GF and I thought Hopper was better than Taranto on the day. Handled the occasion a lot better. So based on that I've always been of the view Hopper is the better player

Always thought Taranto was better because he has more strings to his bow but I’ll get a closer look this season. Also thought Taranto was clearly the giants best player on grand final day although that isn’t really saying much.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2022, 12:25:17 AM »
I have a few friends who play AFL. They reckon hopper is better than Taranto, interesting because I thought Taranto was easily.

Interesting

I go back to the 2019 GF and I thought Hopper was better than Taranto on the day. Handled the occasion a lot better. So based on that I've always been of the view Hopper is the better player

I thought Hopper was their best and commented on the day how much I liked the look of him.

Regardless it doesn't really matter since we landed both :D

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2022, 12:27:57 AM »
 Taranto is an absolute gun!

and Hopper is better?

I need a minute....

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2022, 10:59:14 AM »
They're both guns and exactly what we needed. I'm pumped.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2022, 12:07:03 PM »
Taranto was their best GF day IMO .. tried his absolute guts out

We are very lucky to have them both .. great gets

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2022, 11:36:51 PM »
‘Good game of bluff’: Doco reveals dark arts of AFL trade period

By Marnie Vinall
The Age
December 2, 2022

The management of former GWS midfielder Jacob Hopper advised him of their plan to call the Giants’ bluff and get their man to Richmond in one of the highest-profile moves of this year’s AFL trade period.

The conversation is revealed in the new season of a documentary that goes behind the scenes of several key deals, including the one that prised the contracted Hopper away from the Giants to Punt Rd and the four-club mega-deal that delivered No.1 pick Jason Horne-Francis to Port Adelaide.

In a scene of Show Me The Money II featuring Hopper, influential player manager Paul Connors and his business partner Robbie D’Orazio, Connors tells the midfielder: “You’re 95 per cent getting traded. We’ve got clubs who want you, we’ve got you who’s in, now we just need the third party and that’s the Giants.”

D’Orazio then explains that the Giants’ general manager of football, Jason McCartney, holds the key.

“This one is a little bit interesting because he is contracted and the player’s the one requesting the trade, rather than the club pushing the player out,” said D’Orazio.

“Jason McCartney and the club holds all the power here.”

Connors adds: “If I put Jase’s hat on, Jase is a really good game of bluff, so I feel like they’d like to start afresh, but if you’re GWS, you’re not telling us that. You’re holding that information close”.

Hopper interjects: “Yeah, I feel like it’s the worst kept secret ever though”.

Connors says the deal could go down to the wire despite the Giants needing to free up salary cap space and wanting to attack the draft under new coach Adam Kingsley.

“Because you’re in contract, we’ve got to make sure they can do the deal. I think you’re in a really lovely situation, and I do think, bottom of my heart, that the Giants will trade you but remember they’re not going to declare that to you,” Connors says. “They are going to play their cards close.”

Hopper was traded to the Tigers with picks 53 and 63 in exchange for Richmond’s future first-round selection and pick No. 31 at this year’s draft.

The 25-year-old, who was the No.7 pick in the 2015 national draft, signed a seven-year deal with his new club, tying him to the Tigers until the end of 2029. He followed former GWS teammate Tim Taranto, who was nabbed by the Tigers on the opening day of the trade period.

The documentary will premiere on Stan, owned by Nine Entertainment Co, which also owns The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald, in February.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/good-game-of-bluff-doco-reveals-dark-arts-of-afl-trade-period-20221201-p5c2w6.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2023, 05:37:28 PM »
Pics taken after today's training session with Jacob Hopper in full Richmond kit.

https://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL%202022%20Training%20-%20Richmond%20161222

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »
Probably sees more people watching Richmond train than at actual GWS matches  ;D.

You know we've got hardcore idiot fans when a driver of 4WD slows down to 20km in the left lane of Punt Rd in the middle of heavy traffic and flicks on the hazard lights so the passenger can take some photo snaps of training  :o.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2023, 12:26:23 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »
Jacob Hopper (MID, $716,000)

The move: Greater Western Sydney to Richmond
Predicted average: 93-98
Classic ownership: 3 per cent
Draft ranking: 40-50 midfielder

Due to injuries, Hopper managed just seven games last year and joined Taranto in the off-season as they both made their way to the Tigers where they've been welcomed with open arms. Hopper is a genuine midfielder and is capable of averaging 90-plus. In Classic, he is discounted, but off his 2021 season where he averaged 89, which now prices him awkwardly at $716,000 which is the equivalent to an average of 81.

Verdict: Hopper is the definition of a Draft sleeper. When players are ranked on last year's average, Hopper sits outside the top 110 midfielders available. Easy decision … move him up in your rankings.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/874590/new-stripes-right-price-the-best-recruits-to-target-in-fantasy

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2023, 05:07:45 PM »
Hopper has been missing match sims. Anyone know what injury he’s dealing with?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2023, 05:56:30 PM »

He was there today. Played for the yellow team and he was impressive
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 09:15:45 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2023, 08:59:56 PM »

He was there today. Played for the yellow team and he impressive

Love it

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2023, 11:42:02 PM »
Has been on a managed program, does 1 of the 2 main sessions a week incl match sim.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2023, 12:43:29 AM »
Has been on a managed program, does 1 of the 2 main sessions a week incl match sim.

Is it just from the knee that kept him out for most of last season?