Author Topic: Eddie’s bold fixture fix revealed (HSun)  (Read 1423 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Eddie’s bold fixture fix revealed (HSun)
« on: December 18, 2022, 05:39:26 PM »
Wildcard finals, 'qualifying month' and more. Eddie McGuire wants to add more games to the AFL fixture to create a fairer fixture for the clubs, the AFL and fans. See his plan and have your say ...

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-fixture-2023-champion-datas-indepth-analysis-for-every-team/news-story/e6c2f8c94a8cb47c6937e8b66fd40a4a

--------------------------------

Under his plan, all teams would play each other once, with a Rivalry Round and Gather Round to also be included – making it a 19-game home and away season.

Gather Round would have opponents drawn out of a hat in a TV spectacle, while Rivalry Round would see non-Victorian teams face their crosstown rivals as Victorian teams would get their longstanding rival on a rotational basis.

Then McGuire’s plan gets really bold – holding a three-week qualifying period to see where teams finish up on the ladder.

Teams would be ranked on their results after being divided into a top six, middle six and bottom six, before 14 teams get a week off while the bottom four fight it out for a chance to stay alive.

The two losers would be eliminated, leaving 16 teams to be split into a two division finals race – odds (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15) and evens (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16).

The grand final would then be held between the winner of the odds finals series and the winner of the evens finals series.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/eddies-bold-fixture-fix-revealed-with-plans-for-bizarre-wildcard-finals-run/news-story/2363887d73c4ee300b0b7fe753c82f32
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 06:12:48 PM by one-eyed »

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Eddie’s bold fixture fix revealed (HSun)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
I’ll have some of what he’s having
Eddie must be on some mighty fine stuff

Final 16? LMAO

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »
I don't mind some of Ed's plans here - I like the 17 matches (play every team once) with the Gather Round & Rivalry Round games making a 19 match season.  Good so far ...

But ... the rest of it sucks!     :P

I would go back to a final 6 that was used during the expansion years.  It still involves 3 weeks of finals matches culminating in a grand final on week 4.     

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 09:59:16 PM »
I'd trial it. Competition couldn't be more of a joke than it already is
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Broadsword

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 07:43:44 PM »
Why not just compete for the Most Improved Team cup instead of the prem, halve game lengths and double advertising minutes? Horse poo marketing tripe.