Author Topic: Would you prefer a day or night Grand Final?  (Read 22972 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Would you prefer a day or night Grand Final?
« on: January 29, 2005, 04:32:28 PM »
It was mentioned on 3aw that if the ratings tomorrow night for Hewitt go through the roof as expected (3 million viewers expected) then don't be surprised if the AFL big wigs start pushing the idea of a Saturday night GF. The $$$$ available from prime time tv sponsors will be too tempting to pass up.

What do you guys think about a night granny?

I like the tradition of the day and would prefer it to stay that way but if the Tiges reached and won a GF I wouldn't be complaining even if it was played at 2am in the morning  ;D :thumbsup.

Looking at other major national sports the Superbowl is played in the evening while the FA Cup remains a daylight fixture.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:01:14 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

Re: Would you prefer a day or night Grand Final?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 04:39:18 PM »
I like fireworks at night rather than the day - seem to lose their effect somehow lol
Tradition of the day is good as it is - except if i have to watch Bert Newton on the tellie again during the lead up i'll scream!
But i do like night games better than day - so I'd be easily swayed!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 04:49:46 PM »
I was thinking the same thing this morning MT when I first realised the Aust Open Final was tomorrow night. (Proof of how much tennis interests me.)
I like the way it has always been, a day GF for the footy.

I'll always remember an elderly lady phoning a radio station when our measurement system changed from imperial to metric. She argued that it shouldn't change until all the old people had died. ;D
Flawed logic, but hey I can almost see where she was coming from. :helpl
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 04:51:52 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 08:25:03 PM »
No night grand final for me. I am a tradionalist.

Dead set against a night grand final and footy on good friday.

As for tomorrow nights tennis final - I am not too keen on that either. Even less pleased that one player has had an extra day to prepare/recover. The Australian Open becomes more like the US Open every year :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:44:46 PM »
NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead NO  :banghead

GET THE MESSAGE

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 04:01:13 PM »
How are you going to keep the clowns sober until nighttime?

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 09:59:39 AM »
How are you going to keep the clowns sober until nighttime?

Imagine - the North Melbourne breakfast going 10 hours.

I'd prefer a day GF, wouldn't mind a night one if RFC won it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 02:20:43 AM »
What do you guys think of a night grand final now? Has anyone changed their view?

----------------------------------------

Night grand final on cards as networks push
Caroline Wilson
The Age
June 1, 2006

The seemingly irresistible push for a night Grand Final is gaining momentum, with TV networks holding greater sway after their exorbitant payment for AFL broadcast rights.

THE first AFL night grand final seems destined to take place next year if the league's new broadcast partners have their way.

Having committed $780 million to cover football between next season and 2011, the Seven and Ten networks are set to renew their push for a historic change to the last Saturday in September, with an MCG grand final starting about 6.30pm.

And in another surprising development yesterday, the Seven Network conceded it could reach a deal that would allow the AFL's pay TV carrier, Foxtel, to televise four home-and-away games each week from next season.

Channel Seven executives held a summit in Sydney yesterday where the prospect of the free-to-air network hosting just two of the eight fixtured AFL games was not ruled out, should Foxtel be prepared to meet the network's selling price.

Channel Seven chief executive David Leckie has long been an advocate of the move, having pioneered National Rugby League Sunday night grand finals during his tenure at the Nine Network.

While Seven and Ten have not reached official agreement as to which network will host the first grand final of the five-year agreement — the mooted coin toss remains uncertain — both networks will mount campaigns for the change.

Yesterday's Seven talks, which included executives from Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Adelaide, reached no final decisions regarding Seven's programming but ended with broadcaster Bruce McAvaney favoured to return to his seat as the network's No. 1 Friday night football caller.

Seven's Melbourne boss, Ian Johnson, has emerged as the network's head of AFL programming.

Although AFL chief Andrew Demetriou has said in the past that the AFL would continue to support the traditional afternoon time slot, half the 16 AFL clubs last year demonstrated cautious support for the change when the prospect was raised by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire in front of the AFL Commission.

Had Channel Nine won the AFL rights that network was also believed to be planning a night grand final. Nothing in the new AFL broadcast agreement prevents the change and while the league's current finals broadcaster, Channel Ten, has accepted the AFL's view in the past, the network appears to be shifting in its view as well.

Spokesmen for the Seven and Ten networks were not available yesterday.

Ten executives told Richmond and Essendon before the recent Dreamtime Game that it viewed that match and its impressive pre-game entertainment as something of a night grand final dress rehearsal.

Under the record agreement the AFL struck with Channel Nine last December — a deal matched two weeks later by Channels Seven and Ten — Foxtel was to have hosted four of the eight home-and-away games each week over the 22-week season.

Seven and Ten had always maintained they preferred a five-three split — with Ten hosting two games each Saturday and Seven broadcasting Friday night football and two Sunday games. But that scenario was envisaged before the five-year rights package was sold for $780 million.

Since then Seven has bought the rights to the V8 Supercars, a competition that currently clashes with AFL matches on six Sundays during the home-and-away season.

Foxtel is almost certain to televise Sunday twilight games from 4.30 or 5pm. Those matches could directly follow a 1pm game, also on Foxtel, while Seven would host a 2pm game. Under the new AFL agreement that 2pm match could be delayed until 3pm should Seven have a scheduling clash with motor sport.

Regardless of whether Foxtel gets three or four games next year, its package will consist of better-quality matches.

When McGuire thrust the night grand final debate back onto the agenda last year, he told The Age: "I think it's something that's probably inevitable."

McGuire pointed to the impressive success of the Australian Open men's tennis final, which was Australia's highest-rating show in 2005, with 4.05 million viewers, when it switched to Sunday.

The move by the NRL to play its grand final on a Sunday night drew 2.6 million nationally, including significant ratings numbers in Melbourne. The AFL attracted 3.39 million viewers last year.

Channel Ten sports chief David White said last year that he had raised the prospect of a night grand final with Demetriou, who had always rejected it.

Demetriou has always cited tradition and the fact that it might "mitigate against children and older fans".

"I think a grand final at night would rate higher," White said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/05/31/1148956418591.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 05:15:18 AM »
What do you guys think of a night grand final now? Has anyone changed their view?

nup

Ox

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:48:14 AM »
stuff off.

Moi

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 05:56:09 AM »
I like fireworks at night rather than the day - seem to lose their effect somehow lol
Tradition of the day is good as it is - except if i have to watch Bert Newton on the tellie again during the lead up i'll scream!
But i do like night games better than day - so I'd be easily swayed!
Wot she said lol

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 06:27:57 AM »
AND that dreamtime krape was a snorefest  :sleep

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 11:31:58 AM »
Channel 7 appears to be making moves to push for a Night Grand Final. We've had Rugby League Grand Finals played at night up here since 2000. They said the change would enhance the atmosphere. I have been to the past 3 and personally I don't like them. In actual fact I feel there is less atmosphere at night games. The real reason behind Night Grand Finals is purely and simply TV ratings.

What do you think??

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
I'll merge this thread tiga with the one already started on the View from the Outer board. Cheers  :).

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=1282.0

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 05:17:12 PM »
As it’s the tv networks that push for these things to happen then I’ll never agree to it.

You expect them to look after their own interests, but what does the AFL stand to get out of it and what is there to suggest a night GF will add to what has always been a big event and ratings winner?

The fact the NRL has moved their GF to a night game kinda cheapens it for me.  They’ve chopped and changed so much in their competition that you wonder where they are going sometimes.  And because they seem so prepared to make change in the blink of an eye makes you question the strength of that League.

You can admire anyone or anything that has the ability to stand the test of time.  And I think there’s real strength in the fact the AFL GF hasn’t moved or changed to any real degree.  It’s an institution, and a winner how it is, so why would you need or want to mess with it?

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.