Author Topic: Would you prefer a day or night Grand Final?  (Read 22351 times)

Dubstep Dookie

Re: Would you prefer a day or night Grand Final?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »
I personally wouldn't mind a night grand final. Then we get a whole day lead up. Hit the turps and a BBQ from lunch and be well primed for the game.

x2

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
Once I was stoically against the idea but am warming to the idea of a night GF.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
Seems odd to me that almost every final is at night then the major is during the day.

Odd and unfair.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
AFL's official twitter is asking if people want a day or night Grand Final.

What are OERites thoughts?

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
Stick with the tradition of a day grand final. Leave the night to celebrate the win!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
I don't care if it's 2am as long as the Tiges are in it. After 30 years waiting you can't be picky  ;D.

Daytime is better for the quality of footy as there's no dew but nighttime is better off-field as far as maximising tv ratings (more $$$ for the game) and pre and half-time entertainment as you can hold a lightshow.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
Tradition? Tradition only applies when people want it too doesn't it?  ;D  ;D

Personally believe the GF should always be on during the day
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
Have it in the day.
But if its a draw the replay should be at night.
Everyones happy, Problem solved.

I'm waiting to here from Andy D about my excellent idea.  ;D

The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
Fitzpatrick won't rule out night Grand Final 'experiment'

Read more: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-09/fitzpatrick-wont-rule-out-night-grand-final-experiment

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
I always like watching sides having to adapt to cope with the warmer conditions for the grand final.  It adds a new dimension to finals footy, a dimension that would be lost if it was changed to a night game! 
So ... (in my best old-guy voice) "Would you darn kids stop messing with the game!"  *mumble ... *groan ... *shuffle ...
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL must try twilight Grand Final: Sheedy
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 03:13:49 AM »
AFL must try twilight Grand Final: Sheedy

AFL.com.au
December 2, 2015

KEVIN Sheedy has urged the AFL to be brave and at least trial a twilight Grand Final.

Inspired by the success of the pink ball day-night Test match in Adelaide, Sheedy - the driving force behind the Anzac Day and Dreamtime at the 'G blockbusters, and next season's Country game - says the League could reap huge benefits from the bold move.

"If they want to vote, I'd put my feet and my hands in the air to have a twilight grand final," Sheedy told SEN on Wednesday.

"Have a look at it because at least then you've had a look. We've done over a hundred years of (day) Grand Finals and we won't look at something different.

"It might be pretty good - it might be better ... we don't know unless you actually try.

"At least cricket has had the courage to go and try it - I thought it was quite successful."

Brisbane Lions captain Tom Rockliff was less than impressed with Sheedy's call, tweeting his opposition on Wednesday afternoon.

@TheRunHome why bother? AFL has a good thing and cricket was struggling to get crowds. Don't just change for the sake of change.
    — Tom Rockliff (@rockwiz38) December 2, 2015

Previous AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was an unashamed traditionalist who preferred the game's showpiece match in its afternoon timeslot but successor Gillon McLachlan hasn't ruled out the possibility of a twilight grand final in the future.

After his address to the National Press Club in August, McLachlan described the AFL Commission as split roughly 50-50 on the issue.

"It will be a decision for the Commission and, without betraying Commission confidence, I think there is a diversity of views on that," McLachlan said.

"I can tell you this year it will be a day Grand Final and I can't imagine it not being one the year after that.

"But you can't rule it out (from 2017)."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-02/afl-must-try-twilight-grand-final-sheedy

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Push for twilight Grand Final after success of US Super Bowl (H-Sun)
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »
Eddie McGuire to urge AFL to move Grand Final to twilight timeslot following success of US Super Bowl

Jay Clark
Herald Sun
February 9, 2016

AN AFL legend says a twilight Grand Final is inevitable within five years, as debate rages on whether the league should move the big game in the wake of the spectacular Super Bowl.

The league is again under pressure to improve its entertainment package after a dazzling performance from some of the globe’s biggest acts in California.

British rockers Coldplay were joined by Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson and Beyonce for a 15-minute extravaganza that was watched by more than 100 million people worldwide.

The show attracted rave reviews from AFL stars and fans, who called on the league to jazz up its annual offering, headlined by artists Ellie Goulding and Bryan Adams last year.

Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown said a twilight Grand Final was inevitable within five years.

He said television broadcasters want a later start to capture a bigger audience.

“Of course it should be (twilight) It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when,” Brown said on Nova 100.

“It will be a twilight Grand Final at some stage because Channel 7 will keep demanding it because of the amount of money they pay for the TV rights and the AFL want as much money as they possible can.

“The dam wall is about to crack. It will crack soon ... let’s say five years.”

AFL commercial operations general manager Darren Birch, who was at the Super Bowl, said the AFL spent significantly less on the Grand Final than the NFL.

“They (NFL) do it so well but are on a completely different scale due to their level of investment — the spend would be in excess of millions of dollars and the three acts perform for free — probably $10m of talent at half time with Coldplay, Beyoncé and Bruno Mars,” Birch said.

“Also worth noting they change the half-time break to accommodate the show and it is significantly longer than the normal season.

“Something in our game we would not really contemplate.”

Birch said the AFL Grand Final entertainment was a key focus area for the league every year.

He said the AFL’s post-game celebrations were “much-cleaner” than the Super Bowl presentation.

“The AFL has discussed the entertainment at length each year and we maintain that the game is and should always remain the centrepiece of our day,” he said.

“In comparison I think the AFL does do our retiring greats very well with the motorcade and the crowd and broadcast recognition.
Pre-game entertainment at the MCG during the 2008 Toyota AFL Grand Final between the Geelong Cats and the Hawthorn Hawks at the MCG.

“We do post game presentation to the team and the fans well and is much cleaner and structured than the Super Bowl post game presentations.

“Our post-game concert and team presentation is getting strong each year and has become one of the fan highlights of the day.”

Birch said the league endeavoured to keep the big game affordable for families.

“It’s interesting to note the ticket prices with most tickets to fans being in the thousands of dollars opposed to our prices,” he said.

“You still see families and children at our game as it remains accessible — there are very few children at the Super Bowl.”

Birch said the daytime start for the Super Bowl did create a different atmosphere to previous night time finales.

“The game started in daylight and the half time show was done close to twilight which was different to last year (at night) and the effects and impact of daylight did change the atmosphere inside the stadium,” he said.

“It reinforces the challenges we have with entertainment and performances during the day with the Grand Final.”

The Premier says when it comes to a twilight Grand Final it’s more about the half-time talent than the timing.

Daniel Andrews has told Channel 7 it’s more about the entertainment than the timing.

“I think if Beyonce was half-time for a day match or half-time for a twilight match it’s always going to be a spectacular show,” he said.

“That’s ultimately a matter for the AFL and they’ve got some difficult choices to make, but there’s arguments for and against.“But again, as I said, we’re just bracing ourselves and trying to get over Meatloaf.”

The AFL was famously savaged in 2011 after Meatloaf’s half-time flop.

Geelong great Cameron Ling, who was at the Super Bowl on his honeymoon, tweeted: “OK... They do it very well here!”

Former teammate Cam Mooney replied: “Well that just made #meatloaf look even worse.”

Collingwood president McGuire, who attended Super Bowl 50 yesterday, said the AFL should move the Grand Final to a twilight timeslot in line with the NFL decider.

He said a later start would provide an electric night-time backdrop at minimal cost and was a “bleeding obvious” solution to the AFL’s Grand Final entertainment problems.

“If we want to do entertainment, particularly on a budget, you need all the tricks of showbiz and there is no better way than using darkness, lights and smoke,” McGuire said.

“It doesn’t have to be in the dead of night, just not in the blaze of sunshine.”

McGuire said a twilight start would also boost the AFL’s bid to grow the game in developing interstate markets, saying the Grand Final should be broadcasted “when they will see it”.

Former Hawk and Suns defender Campbell Brown agreed with McGuire.

“AFL must go twilight. If u stand still u get run over. C’mon Gill (McLachlan),” Brown tweeted.

The AFL has not responded.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/eddie-mcguire-to-urge-afl-to-move-grand-final-to-twilight-timeslot-following-success-of-us-super-bowl/news-story/fc6f6be23aa2d8aef381c2ac6d9f18ac

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
With all the money in the game why do we need to do entertainment on a budget? B grade entertainers standing on black painted wooden stages and 3 different light rigs may have cut it in the 90s but not now.

That aside, I'd be happy with a twiglight Gf just hope that it's not morons like McGuire who get it over the line
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
Why do we need entertainment full stop? The sport should be good enough to stand on it's own and sell itself without all that stupid Seppo shyte.  Divert the millions paying has-beens from overseas to grass roots footy.The only razzmatazz I want to see is from the players or adorning the legs of female spectators. It's the Grand Final of the football, not the stuffing Rock Eisteddfod.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 04:22:12 PM »
Yep, just let some kids play

Surely te c and a grade acts is getting old
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus